"Four Ball" Rule

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
At the tourney in Bellflower today (thanks POV) they're using the "four ball" rule: maximum 4 balls in the kitchen, spot extras nearest the line.

In the match I was watching (King Kong vs. Jude _____) the rule changed the course of the game a couple of times, usually when a player forgot a ball would be spotted and left a shot as a result. But it also changed the game dynamic by constantly "churning" the balls that otherwise would have accumulated uptable. I guess the point is to keep balls in play and keep matches reasonably short, but it didn't work that way in this match - instead, the "OB uptable - CB on bottom cushion" phase just went on and on, like a loop tape - until somebody forgot a ball would be spotted and sold out a few balls.

I kinda like eliminating uptable congestion, but maybe that's because I don't get that part of the game yet. Is this rule a good way to keep games moving? Does it work? And even if it does work, should the venerable uptable game be sacrificed for expediency?

What other ways does the Four Ball Rule change the game? In whose favor?

pj
chgo

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
im really not knowledgeable or experienced enough to make a comment to quote....:(....:eek:
but eliminating the end game would be to one pocket
what texas express 9 ball ie one foul ball in hand
did to 2 shot push out 9 ball
jmho
id have to go back and read the "grady rules" which freddy said was his but he let grady use them (icbw) are similar to the rules you mentioned

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I remember Grady tried to implement a rule something like that. As I recall, it was different in that if five or more balls past the side pocket than all those balls would spot at once. I never did play in any of those tournaments. I don't even know if he got any of them off the ground. Maybe someone else has a better recollection of this than I.

I like the aggressive side to the game and don't enjoy those wedge style games but I would not be a fan of this rule.

Tom

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I remember Grady tried to implement a rule something like that. As I recall, it was different in that if five or more balls past the side pocket than all those balls would spot at once. I never did play in any of those tournaments. I don't even know if he got any of them off the ground. Maybe someone else has a better recollection of this than I.

I like the aggressive side to the game and don't enjoy those wedge style games but I would not be a fan of this rule.

Tom

The balls in the kitchen subject has already been discussed in several different threads here on this site over the past years...here's a copy of the post I made in one of those threads many years ago ----->

I Played in Gradys "Legends of One Pocket" tournament in South Carolina a few years ago (in 2001 I think it was), where Grady implemented the 'speeded up' rules for the first time = (spotting up balls that are in the kitchen)...and call me a traditionalist, but I didn't like it, and am totally against it..:mad:..and the players that I talked to at the tournament didn't like those rules either - at all.....it's not real One Pocket - just to name one real bad thing about those rules - it took away a lot of the straight back banks and also the 2 rail and 3 rail banks - and those are shots that are a big part of the skill and beauty of One Pocket....about the only players that these rules would favor, and who might like them, are straight pool players...:rolleyes:

One Pocket - AIN'T BROKE AND DON'T NEED TO BE FIXED - The game is perfect just the way it is...:cool:

And games don't usually slow down all that much anyways, unless you're playing against one of the mega-safe player types like Varner or Hopkins, etc. ( of which there aren't very many of in these current modern times anyway ).

PS, And forgive me for bragging a little...I finished in 7th-8th place in that tournament, with wins over Grady (4-0), Richie Richeson (hill-hill) and Danny Harriman (hill-hill).

- Ghost

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
PS, And forgive me for bragging a little...I finished in 7th-8th place in that tournament, with wins over Grady (4-0), Richie Richeson (hill-hill) and Danny Harriman (hill-hill).

- Ghost
That brag deserves an occasional reprise! How to be gangsta, 1PG.

pj
chgo

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

that's pretty strong ghosty.....

check this youngster out....

ME%20@%20NORTH%20SHORE%20BC.jpg

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Thanks for the clarification Ghost.

Tom

No problem Tom.

that's pretty strong ghosty..... <-----Yeah, Dustin...once in awhile I manage to sneak up on a few of those killers.

check this youngster out.... <-----That pic was taken in about 1978 at Freddy's private pool/card club...and I sure wish I still had that cue that I'm using in the picture - it would be worth some real nice $$$ now - it's a Peterson.

View attachment 10809

- Ghost

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I'm not sure how the rule works. What if a ball is frozen to the cb in the kitchen. Which balls get moved up, all four?

I don't like moving balls that are perfectly in play at all. I can't even believe this can be labeled a "solution" actually. It would be like moving a guy's queen on a chess board.... just because "we need to speed up the game." Maybe a guy put that ball up there for a reason. And, maybe you are speeding up the game, but you don't really have a legit game now. I just don't get it.

Not moving backwards in the score column is the best way to make one pocket faster and still preserve most all of its integrity. I thought about it a lot when this came up last time, and I really think it is true. Points go to the opponent of the player who fouled. You wanna take 4 fouls in a row, score is 4 zip. How much it would speed things up is kind of an unknown I will admit. I would not consider anything other than this and also both guys going to lower numbers (eg 7 or 6).

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I'm not sure how the rule works. What if a ball is frozen to the cb in the kitchen. Which balls get moved up, all four?

I don't like moving balls that are perfectly in play at all. I can't even believe this can be labeled a "solution" actually. It would be like moving a guy's queen on a chess board.... just because "we need to speed up the game." Maybe a guy put that ball up there for a reason. And, maybe you are speeding up the game, but you don't really have a legit game now. I just don't get it.

Not moving backwards in the score column is the best way to make one pocket faster and still preserve most all of its integrity. I thought about it a lot when this came up last time, and I really think it is true. Points go to the opponent of the player who fouled. You wanna take 4 fouls in a row, score is 4 zip. How much it would speed things up is kind of an unknown I will admit. I would not consider anything other than this and also both guys going to lower numbers (eg 7 or 6).

Bravo, Tyler, that's a great idea, much better than moving balls around. Oh yeah, that was my idea. Guess I'm guilty of a "ghostyism".:heh:heh:p:p

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
At the tourney in Bellflower today (thanks POV) they're using the "four ball" rule: maximum 4 balls in the kitchen, spot extras nearest the line.

In the match I was watching (King Kong vs. Jude _____) the rule changed the course of the game a couple of times, usually when a player forgot a ball would be spotted and left a shot as a result. But it also changed the game dynamic by constantly "churning" the balls that otherwise would have accumulated uptable. I guess the point is to keep balls in play and keep matches reasonably short, but it didn't work that way in this match - instead, the "OB uptable - CB on bottom cushion" phase just went on and on, like a loop tape - until somebody forgot a ball would be spotted and sold out a few balls.

I kinda like eliminating uptable congestion, but maybe that's because I don't get that part of the game yet. Is this rule a good way to keep games moving? Does it work? And even if it does work, should the venerable uptable game be sacrificed for expediency?

What other ways does the Four Ball Rule change the game? In whose favor?

pj
chgo

That's (bold) what I would expect between good players, but it might shorten/enliven the game for the inexperienced.

As for expediency, there are IMO ominous signs that we may be in a change-or-die spiral. "Venerable" = old. New is better than old in marketing.

Bottom line IMO is that your short-rack suggestion has a far better chance to inject some new life into the game.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

I think that has real potential.

I agree with ghost that the game is perfect now, but the question is whether we need to change, or else!

baby huey

Verified Member
A lot of rooms are going to the 4 ball in the kitchen rule. It's supposed to be a time saver on lengthy matches. One of the problems is that players forget to spot the ball closest to the rail and the game continues and all of a sudden someone remembers spotting the ball. This can cause an argument and does from time to time. Pool over the years has tried to speed up the game. Examples are:
- two shot shootout
- one shot shootout
- one foul ball in hand
- three consecutive scratches, loss of game
- winner break one pocket

However we are kinda of schizophrenic in that we now are playing 10 ball instead of 9 ball and alternate break formats in tournaments. I guess we want to speed the game up and have more hill hill thrillers. Or maybe we don't know what the hell we're doing.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Tom Wirth said:
... I remember Grady tried to implement a rule something like that. As I recall, it was different in that if five or more balls past the side pocket than all those balls would spot at once. I never did play in any of those tournaments. I don't even know if he got any of them off the ground. Maybe someone else has a better recollection of this than I. ...
That brag deserves an occasional reprise! How to be gangsta, 1PG. pj chgo
Grady's rule implemented to speed up games when necessary worked very well. And as I recall it was used exceedingly rarely. I don't know if he used it in more than one event.

In general I don't favor any changes whatsoever in one-pocket. However it's nice to have an option to use when there is a painfully slow game in progress that is holding up the whole field. This does not usually come up with top players, but it does happen occasionally in events which include poor to average players.

I had it come up only once in three tournaments in which I TD'd. It was a match between two women who were mediocre players to begin with. I asked them twice to speed it up, as everyone was waiting on them. When they were unable to do so, I shortened their races. They finished within a half hour.

And PJ, SOMEONE needed to fill the vacancy in the Chicago brag department since the passing of our dear friend Freddie. Ghost makes a good heir apparent, don't you think?;):D

~Doc

tylerdurden

Verified Member
The balls in the kitchen subject has already been discussed in several different threads here on this site over the past years...here's a copy of the post I made in one of those threads many years ago ----->

I got some news for you, the game is broken. If you're not out there trying to make a living playing pool (I'm not either) then it's not really fair to even say the game isn't broken. Is it? When guys are winning 25 or 30 k for first one pocket tournaments every other week or so, we can call it unbroke.

I just watched a "6 red" snooker tournament in Bangkok. Bangkok May not be ready for full length racks races to 11. It wasn't pure snooker, but the organizers are astute enough to make it viable to that market.

Tell me how many one pocket tournaments have played on Espn and I will then tell you how badly the game needs to be sped up based on the answer. 0 times means it needs to be sped up quite dramatically for the average person to have a a chance at digesting it.

People are not stupid, they really aren't. Pure one pocket is never going to make it with the general public. However, the game is so so beautiful and interesting, we all know that. I can totally see average people loving it and playing it if there were less bunting, backscratching and confusion with all the fouls and bunts. People will have a better chance to get it and see its beauty if you give them a chance. Snooker players actually make a point to speed up their potentially slow game with their play. Slow play just is not tolerated. They kinda get it for lack of a euphemism. If we speed up one pocket somehow, it immediately becomes more viable.

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
snip.....Or maybe we don't know what the hell we're doing.

I think we need to start here, because it true, and work from there slowly and thoughtfully. Just assume we have had no idea what we've been doing, and work on it. Nine ball was played incoming player has the choice not too long ago; big changes in these games for the better are obviously possible.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I sincerely doubt that one-pocket --in almost any form-- will ever be a TV game that the public would be interested in. It's simply too complex. It would be like having a game show, "Physics For Fun", where competing teams come up with rudimentary competing formulas.;)

There would be ways to dumb down the game to where there is little strategy involved, but then it would be a different game entirely.

We don't see many chess matches on TV.

Sped up 9-ball (Texas Express) is about the limit of the public's ability to understand. Straight pool was good because the guy won who simply shot in the most balls; but the occasional safety battles probably hurt the viewer appeal.

Look at poker. It's gotten some popularity. But most all that is shown is no-limit hold em. It's not so much the intricacies of the strategy that attracts people as it is the hope of watching players go all in. It's almost akin to hoping for crashes in auto racing.:(

We'll be lucky to continue to have any pool at all on TV, especially men's pool. But I don't think it'll ever be one-pocket.

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I got some news for you, the game is broken.

I got some news for you - the game of One Pocket is not broken....you need to rethink your semantics - you're mixing apples with imaginary oranges...

The original game of One Pocket isn't broken, because it wasn't invented/designed/meant to be watched by all the league players of the world on their smartphones :sorry...but..bingo!, there's no need to change/dumbdown/defile the original game, to achieve the unrealistic/pie-in-the-sky 'One Pocket for the masses' transition that you say is needed...instead, your bastardized version of One Pocket can simply exist separate from the real game of One Pocket...there ya go - plenty of room in this world for two separate types of One Pocket...and with that win-win solution, there's no more need for divisiveness.

- Gh:cool:st

Last edited: