For all the people who read this.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Post script to the above story: Hawaiian Brian was involved in the best pool game I ever saw. He played a guy from the Le Que by the name of Jack Terry. was a book maker I think. He played pretty good nine ball and they played $50/game nine ball and the match lasted almost 3 straight days. Brian played on the natural only drinking coffee and soda. We won over $3000 and Jack paid us in $50 dollar bills. We were so tired after that match that we slept for 2 days and it took another week for us to fully recover.

Brian was a personal hero of mine. I am from Hawaii as well and a few years ago I went to visit him. I knew his g/f at that time Vicki and tried to help her get into the motion picture film industry.
He had a big heart and comes from the Hawaii "Go for Broke" mentlality. It came from the boys of the 442cnd unit during WWII. A group of Japanese Americans many from Hawaii who was the most decorated unit in the war.
They literally saved the Texas Battalion trapped by the Germans losing more of their men than they saved. Many became honorary Texans.
This is the kind of background that made Brian so fearless.
Never afraid to bet it up and never said no to any bet.
Thanks Jerry for the story.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Brian was a personal hero of mine. I am from Hawaii as well and a few years ago I went to visit him. I knew his g/f at that time Vicki and tried to help her get into the motion picture film industry.
He had a big heart and comes from the Hawaii "Go for Broke" mentlality. It came from the boys of the 442cnd unit during WWII. A group of Japanese Americans many from Hawaii who was the most decorated unit in the war.
They literally saved the Texas Battalion trapped by the Germans losing more of their men than they saved. Many became honorary Texans.
This is the kind of background that made Brian so fearless.
Never afraid to bet it up and never said no to any bet.
Thanks Jerry for the story.

I have told this story before, but this is a good spot to tell it again. I was one of the first guys to play Brian at Five Points Bowl when he first came here. I had already become friends with Hawaiian Jay, and after I beat Brian a couple sets of 9 ball, Jay advised me that Brian would start playing much better once he got settled. This was not so much to knock Brian, but Jay and I gambled a fair bit and he probably didn't want me blowing my cash to Brian instead of giving him a chance to get it.

Over the years I probably lost more $$ to Brian than any other local player. No matter what game he gave me, he always came out on top. The only time I had him trapped was in three cushion billiards. I won the first game, lemoned off the 2nd game and waited for him to jack it. He looked at me and said 'I quit. I am supposed to be doing this to you'.

I loved playing Brian, but turned him down one time because I never won. His reply was, 'Yeah, but I let you write checks'.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

So... Have they made a movie about this?? Sounds like a winner to me.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I have told this story before, but this is a good spot to tell it again. I was one of the first guys to play Brian at Five Points Bowl when he first came here. I had already become friends with Hawaiian Jay, and after I beat Brian a couple sets of 9 ball, Jay advised me that Brian would start playing much better once he got settled. This was not so much to knock Brian, but Jay and I gambled a fair bit and he probably didn't want me blowing my cash to Brian instead of giving him a chance to get it.

Over the years I probably lost more $$ to Brian than any other local player. No matter what game he gave me, he always came out on top. The only time I had him trapped was in three cushion billiards. I won the first game, lemoned off the 2nd game and waited for him to jack it. He looked at me and said 'I quit. I am supposed to be doing this to you'. I loved playing Brian, but turned him down one time because I never won. His reply was, 'Yeah, but I let you write checks'.

Similar story John..During Brian's tenure in Cochran's, we tried to match up several times. We finally got it on, and were supposed to play a session of each..(even 9ball, and he gets 9/8 one pocket, on the 5 X10)..No money was posted, and we played the 9 ball first..It was no cake walk, but I finally came out a little ahead.

After the agreed to time playing 9ball, I was getting ready to flip the coin for the 1P session, when Brian un-jointed..He said, "Somebody told me I was in trouble..If I can't beat you at 9ball, I damn sure can't win at one pocket"..We never played again, and became pretty good friends, and he made a 'steer man' out of me...Very likable guy. ;)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Now that I think about it, Bensingers was the ONLY poolroom I was in that had a "Lunch counter", Full bar" and LEGAL "Card room," back in those days! I traveled quite a bit from, 67-80 and can't remember any other room that had all those amenities.

The Spot Club in Shreveport, Red Boxx's place, at least from early '50s to mid-'80s.

Eddie Taylor, Buddy Hall, Earl Shriver, Freddie Farris all in-and-out regulars during one period or the other.

Anybody remember Freddie Farris? A Lebanese guy who ran the big razz game at the Desert Inn. Loved one-pocket but could't play much. Earl played him many times for big numbers at the Spot Club and as I understand it, he'd play him 4,5, and 6, no-count with various combinations of other props. (I saw them play but didn't know enough at the time to understand completely what was up with the various adjustments to the handicap.)

keoneyo

Verified Member
So... Have they made a movie about this?? Sounds like a winner to me.

They actually made a film in 1951 called "Go for Broke". It starred Van Johnson and some original members of the 442. Actually they rescued the "Lost Battalion" (1st Battallion), among them the Alamo regiment, in the Vosges mountain. Ammo and equipment drops were halted because of the dense fog and they were falling into enemy hands. The 1st Battalion was originally the Texas National Guard.
The 442cnd was sent up to rescue them. You can imagine when they were saved by a bunch of Japanese American soldiers.
When K company was asked to stand for their medals General Dahlquist asked for the whole 400 company men to stand. Only 18 men stood. Dahlquist repeated and said " I want the whole company to stand". His assistant said.
"That's all that's left sir".

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
The Spot Club in Shreveport, Red Boxx's place, at least from early '50s to mid-'80s.

Eddie Taylor, Buddy Hall, Earl Shriver, Freddie Farris all in-and-out regulars during one period or the other.

Anybody remember Freddie Farris? A Lebanese guy who ran the big razz game at the Desert Inn. Loved one-pocket but could't play much. Earl played him many times for big numbers at the Spot Club and as I understand it, he'd play him 4,5, and 6, no-count with various combinations of other props. (I saw them play but didn't know enough at the time to understand completely what was up with the various adjustments to the handicap.)

Believe it or not, I was ONLY in LA. once, at Tulane University, at the "Union League" to give a clinic on 3 Cushion. BTW, Freddy's daughter went there for her education.

The was player that moved from Shreveport to Chicago, actually that was his nick name, "Shreveport" Real name was "Ray Dooley." He was the BEST, "Slow Roll" Bank Pool player I've ever seen! Every shot the ball would barely reach the pocket, GREAT for certain banks in 1 pocket!

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

They actually made a film in 1951 called "Go for Broke". It starred Van Johnson and some original members of the 442. Actually they rescued the "Lost Battalion" (1st Battallion), among them the Alamo regiment, in the Vosges mountain. Ammo and equipment drops were halted because of the dense fog and they were falling into enemy hands. The 1st Battalion was originally the Texas National Guard.

The 442cnd was sent up to rescue them. You can imagine when they were saved by a bunch of Japanese American soldiers.

When K company was asked to stand for their medals General Dahlquist asked for the whole 400 company men to stand. Only 18 men stood. Dahlquist repeated and said " I want the whole company to stand". His assistant said.

"That's all that's left sir".

Damn. Chills, man.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I believe a lot of people called him sarge (Freddie Farris). A high rolling gambler, Earl shirver and people he brought, (Squirrel, Jr. Golf etc.) did a lot of Very High Gambling with him.
Rod.
P.S. A very funny story about Jr.

baby huey

Verified Member
John Henderson is one of the best at recalling stories as they really happened. I have taken a few lick-ins from John over the years and I never felt like I couldn't get the chance to get the game again or to have a chance to get my money back. He is an action guy even to this day. I do think he matches up a little better now than he did 40 years ago though.

Brian and Jay grew up together in Hawaii and Jay was the first of his generation to make up to the mainland hustling pool. Jay was and is a character in his own right. I am proud to be good friends with both of them. I can tell you one Hawaiian Jay story that not many people know about. Brian and Jay were on the road and Brian was the player and Jay was a good short stop. It's hard to be on the road with a good player because you are always trying to impress him and not dog it. Well, Jay was on a losing streak and Brian hadn't booked a loser. It got so bad that one day when Jay had missed several 8 and 9 balls that Brian took him outside and told him to shoot the money balls left handed no matter what the shot was. Well it worked and Jay went on to have a good road trip. I might add that Jay was a fair left handed player. It through off his opponent to see him shoot all the money balls that way.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John Henderson is one of the best at recalling stories as they really happened. I have taken a few lick-ins from John over the years and I never felt like I couldn't get the chance to get the game again or to have a chance to get my money back. He is an action guy even to this day. I do think he matches up a little better now than he did 40 years ago though.

Brian and Jay grew up together in Hawaii and Jay was the first of his generation to make up to the mainland hustling pool. Jay was and is a character in his own right. I am proud to be good friends with both of them. I can tell you one Hawaiian Jay story that not many people know about. Brian and Jay were on the road and Brian was the player and Jay was a good short stop. It's hard to be on the road with a good player because you are always trying to impress him and not dog it. Well, Jay was on a losing streak and Brian hadn't booked a loser. It got so bad that one day when Jay had missed several 8 and 9 balls that Brian took him outside and told him to shoot the money balls left handed no matter what the shot was. Well it worked and Jay went on to have a good road trip. I might add that Jay was a fair left handed player. It through off his opponent to see him shoot all the money balls that way.

Thanks Jerry, I always went to the pool room to play, not sit around and wait for the nuts. I knew I would book some losers, but I never was a huge go-off and figured if I got to the post enough I would come out on top.

I get pretty good games today and often lose with them. I guess that is the price of growing old, you never know who is going to show up. My good game is good enough to beat some good players, but when I go on tilt I get helpless. I always try to play my way out of it and it does get a little costly sometimes.

Jay matched up quite a bit playing opposite handed and did play well. Little Al Romero is also an excellent opposite hand player and I watched him and Keith McCready play that way a few times.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I believe a lot of people called him sarge (Freddie Farris). A high rolling gambler, Earl shirver and people he brought, (Squirrel, Jr. Golf etc.) did a lot of Very High Gambling with him.
Rod.
P.S. A very funny story about Jr.

Yep, that was Sarge. Top Notch poker player and was always loaded. Played razz, deuce to 7 lowball draw and pistol. I was at the Spot once when Jr. was matching up with Sarge, but I had to go so I don't know how long it took Jr. to get the cash. :heh

I wouldn't have know Squirrel if I saw him, but I'll take it from you that he was there.

1on1pooltournys

Verified Member
Many come to mind

Many come to mind

Many match-ups come to mind but for me none of them are as sweet as the "first timer" situations. For example, I was just getting into pool at a young age. I had watched hours and hours of Accustats, listened to commentary from Billy and Grady. Such good stories have been told on some of those archived tapes. I was lucky enough to get around some good players and learned a lot. But had never took any major road trips. I played local players 5, 10 a game 9 ball, some 50 dollar sets maybe. Finally, I was 18 and out of High School. I took my first road trip to North Carolina. I was just starting to get to where I could run out a bit here and there. We went to Mother's Billiards and there was a Gypsy fella that hung out there, and everybody tried to get him down. I tried for days and couldn't get him down to gamble. It was like a race everyday to get to the poolroom and try to get this guy down. He played terrible and wouldn't play anybody without a minimum spot of the 8, the break, and the first shot after the break. Finally, one day a gentleman with me had a huge bankroll maybe 40k or so, and he was in the bathroom. I said.."hey give me that bankroll and I'm gonna flash it to Jeff (the gypsy) and maybe that will get him down." This was sort of a last resort, as I had been schooled about the "flash" and when it is safe versus unsafe. It was about 1 in the afternoon and the Gypsy was in there sitting on the rail. I had bankroll in pocket and I sat next to him for a few minutes. Finally, I ordered a coke and said..."Hey Jeff you want something to drink?" he looked at me (we were probably no more than 3 feet apart) and I had that huge bankroll of 100s in my hand. His eyes got bigger than silver dollars. Within 10 minutes we were negotiating a game and withing 20 minutes he broke the first rack. We started betting 50 a game with me spotting him the 7,8 break and first shot after the break. Also, there was no 3 foul rule (obviously to my disadvantage) and he was allowed to "scoop jump." Striking his ferrule under the cue ball. Long story short we played all night with a couple raises in there. Then we played for the next 3 or 4 days. The highest we bet was 200 a game and I ended up beating him out of a little over 10k. He was quite the character. He had a wife that came in with him a couple of days and sometimes he would get disgusted and let her sub in and play for him. She actually played better! But, it came with the territory and I just had to fade a little barrage here and there.

So, to me that "first time" high of betting big money (i had never bet this much up to that point) and making a score takes the cake. It's really sort of like drug addicts and how they are always searching to get that first time high back. Sure, 14 years later I've played lots and lots of money games many of them for bigger money, but none of them quite seem to get me as high as that first time. That was a trip I'll always remember. That is just one story. I played several other people there. It was one hell of an action spot for a short time. Sadly, it is now closed.

Thanks for the thread Artie. I haven't been playing much pool nor following much as of late. This thread got my attention and now it has got that fire and desire sparked a bit inside of me. I guess I better start hitting some balls! :D

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Many match-ups come to mind but for me none of them are as sweet as the "first timer" situations. For example, I was just getting into pool at a young age. I had watched hours and hours of Accustats, listened to commentary from Billy and Grady. Such good stories have been told on some of those archived tapes. I was lucky enough to get around some good players and learned a lot. But had never took any major road trips. I played local players 5, 10 a game 9 ball, some 50 dollar sets maybe. Finally, I was 18 and out of High School. I took my first road trip to North Carolina. I was just starting to get to where I could run out a bit here and there. We went to Mother's Billiards and there was a Gypsy fella that hung out there, and everybody tried to get him down. I tried for days and couldn't get him down to gamble. It was like a race everyday to get to the poolroom and try to get this guy down. He played terrible and wouldn't play anybody without a minimum spot of the 8, the break, and the first shot after the break. Finally, one day a gentleman with me had a huge bankroll maybe 40k or so, and he was in the bathroom. I said.."hey give me that bankroll and I'm gonna flash it to Jeff (the gypsy) and maybe that will get him down." This was sort of a last resort, as I had been schooled about the "flash" and when it is safe versus unsafe. It was about 1 in the afternoon and the Gypsy was in there sitting on the rail. I had bankroll in pocket and I sat next to him for a few minutes. Finally, I ordered a coke and said..."Hey Jeff you want something to drink?" he looked at me (we were probably no more than 3 feet apart) and I had that huge bankroll of 100s in my hand. His eyes got bigger than silver dollars. Within 10 minutes we were negotiating a game and withing 20 minutes he broke the first rack. We started betting 50 a game with me spotting him the 7,8 break and first shot after the break. Also, there was no 3 foul rule (obviously to my disadvantage) and he was allowed to "scoop jump." Striking his ferrule under the cue ball. Long story short we played all night with a couple raises in there. Then we played for the next 3 or 4 days. The highest we bet was 200 a game and I ended up beating him out of a little over 10k. He was quite the character. He had a wife that came in with him a couple of days and sometimes he would get disgusted and let her sub in and play for him. She actually played better! But, it came with the territory and I just had to fade a little barrage here and there.

So, to me that "first time" high of betting big money (i had never bet this much up to that point) and making a score takes the cake. It's really sort of like drug addicts and how they are always searching to get that first time high back. Sure, 14 years later I've played lots and lots of money games many of them for bigger money, but none of them quite seem to get me as high as that first time. That was a trip I'll always remember. That is just one story. I played several other people there. It was one hell of an action spot for a short time. Sadly, it is now closed.

Thanks for the thread Artie. I haven't been playing much pool nor following much as of late. This thread got my attention and now it has got that fire and desire sparked a bit inside of me. I guess I better start hitting some balls! :D

That's a very interesting story. And I realy appriciate. And I can see how good it makes you feel. Its brings back a great time and moment. And gets you geared up to hitting those shinny balls in the center of the pocket.it brings music to your ears.

And stimulates your mind to want to relive that same great feeling and accomplishments. And that time will stay in your mind forever, Because of the Joy and happiness it brought you. And now your story will also be remembered. Its your story and you and your story will be remembered. You have left your mark to the world.
I have learned what power a family has when they stick together through the worst and best of times. Death is not cruel, it just is. Enjoy everybody while you are with them. Taking a chance and write your story. Will inspire other and new people to wright there store. Its not just about us. Its about everybody.

Telling your story people will get to no you. Tell your story and who you are. You will feel better about you and your story. There are a million stories in the naked city. There are endless stories on one pocket . org. If people tell there stories. We want our site and stories to be number one. Where the whole world wants to reed them. WE can be the greatest story site on the internet.

If everyone gives and shares there stories. Thank you to all the people and the world. WE are giving something that will always be remembered. This is our time in life to shine. So tell your story that you want people to remember. It doesn't cost you anything, And its worth telling your story. Everybody has stories. Some people have lots of stories. Make a list of stories. That will reach the end of the earth. Make a list of stories that will goon forever.

So all our stories and new stories will keep growing.And be herd and read by the whole world. And we are all a part of these stories. That will go on forever. Even when we are log gone.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Artie, Dick McMorran has posted the beginning of his story on the Members Only part of this site. It is quite well done, and interesting to read. You might be interested -

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I'm afraid you are right. I should not have gotten involved in this.

By the way, isn't there any kind of website just for billiard players?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member

Its never to late to learn and play. You may find all the answers you have been looking for. What you give to the game. The game will reward you for your effort and hard work. My favorite line.

Stick and stay and make it pay. Once you quite you are a automatich looser.