Most you have won / lost

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
If this is a duplicate thread, I apologize in advance but I didn't see one that already existed and I thought it would be a fun topic.

In one single session, playing on your own money, what's the most you have ever won and what's the most you have ever lost?

I will go first:

Won: There were a few local guys I used to play at Beechmont Billiards (not mentioning names because no one would know them anyways) where if they came in the pool room I knew I was going to win money - the only question was how much they weighed that day. I started the session playing one pocket at around 7 PM and finished up about 4 AM and was about $2,000 winners. As I was paying the time, one of my other eggs was walking through the door so it was on! We played races to 5 in 9 ball and I won another $1,500 after 4-6 hours of play. So depending on how you look at it, I won about $3,500 (from 2 different players) but it was really one long session with little to no break.

Lost: I typically don't "go off" but will lose a bit until I realize I can't win because I have made a bad game or I am just not playing up to my potential. This time, however, was one of my exceptions :) It took place at the only other DCC I attended and it was an early one (maybe the 2nd one ever held?) - probably around 1999 or 2000. I played in the one pocket and I know I lost to Troy Frank but can't remember who else I played but I lost that match too so I was 2 and out and looking for some action. I ran into Chris Bartrum who I had played before a bit and he was tough action for sure. Keep in mind this was 16 or 17 years ago so I was playing every day and at the top of my game and he was just starting to play real well (he is much better now). I think he gave me 8-7 starting out and then went to 9-7 but we played $100 a game and I lost 10 straight games and finally quit. I know $1,000 isn't a huge score or loss for most but it was my biggest one by far and I don't ever want to feel that again....

Ok, there are my stories, how about yours?

Skin

Verified Member
If this is a duplicate thread, I apologize in advance but I didn't see one that already existed and I thought it would be a fun topic.

In one single session, playing on your own money, what's the most you have ever won and what's the most you have ever lost?

I will go first:

Won: There were a few local guys I used to play at Beechmont Billiards (not mentioning names because no one would know them anyways) where if they came in the pool room I knew I was going to win money - the only question was how much they weighed that day. I started the session playing one pocket at around 7 PM and finished up about 4 AM and was about $2,000 winners. As I was paying the time, one of my other eggs was walking through the door so it was on! We played races to 5 in 9 ball and I won another $1,500 after 4-6 hours of play. So depending on how you look at it, I won about $3,500 (from 2 different players) but it was really one long session with little to no break.

Lost: I typically don't "go off" but will lose a bit until I realize I can't win because I have made a bad game or I am just not playing up to my potential. This time, however, was one of my exceptions :) It took place at the only other DCC I attended and it was an early one (maybe the 2nd one ever held?) - probably around 1999 or 2000. I played in the one pocket and I know I lost to Troy Frank but can't remember who else I played but I lost that match too so I was 2 and out and looking for some action. I ran into Chris Bartrum who I had played before a bit and he was tough action for sure. Keep in mind this was 16 or 17 years ago so I was playing every day and at the top of my game and he was just starting to play real well (he is much better now). I think he gave me 8-7 starting out and then went to 9-7 but we played $100 a game and I lost 10 straight games and finally quit. I know $1,000 isn't a huge score or loss for most but it was my biggest one by far and I don't ever want to feel that again....

Ok, there are my stories, how about yours?

Funny you mentioned Bartrum. I mentioned him also in a post I just put up in the killer instinct thread.

I don't remember my biggest money win or loss, but I do remember playing a couple of guys at the old Times Square Cue Club in Dallas in the very early 70s. It lasted 72 hours. :eek:

They passed back and forth between me and my partner who quit after 48 hours pretty flush. I was doing OK at that point, upon which time they tag teamed on me. I'd bust one and the other would play me while the busted one hustled more cash from any fish he could find in the room. That went on for another 24 hours. We all finally quit because we couldn't go any farther. I don't remember how much I walked out with, but it wasn't much after paying the time for 3 days on the table!

That was the most fun and profitable session I ever played. Those two guys played good but they were as crazy as loons (in a good way). I learned more in those three days than in any other three months of playing. I still wonder who they were. :)

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Funny you mentioned Bartrum. I mentioned him also in a post I just put up in the killer instinct thread.

I don't remember my biggest money win or loss, but I do remember playing a couple of guys at the old Times Square Cue Club in Dallas in the very early 70s. It lasted 72 hours. :eek:

They passed back and forth between me and my partner who quit after 48 hours pretty flush. I was doing OK at that point, upon which time they tag teamed on me. I'd bust one and the other would play me while the busted one hustled more cash from any fish he could find in the room. That went on for another 24 hours. We all finally quit because we couldn't go any farther. I don't remember how much I walked out with, but it wasn't much after paying the time for 3 days on the table!

Yea, Bartrum is (or at least was) one of the best gamblers I had ran into in the pool room. Played top notch but more importantly always made good games, had lots of gamble in him and had ice water running through his veins...he was tough to beat.

Wow, 72 hour session, I would not make it! LOL

Funny though, because back when I was playing a lot (in my 20's) I could play all day and night. Now a days (in my 40's) there is no way I could have those long sessions any more. After 4 or 5 hours its time for a break!

Skin

Verified Member
Yea, Bartrum is (or at least was) one of the best gamblers I had ran into in the pool room. Played top notch but more importantly always made good games, had lots of gamble in him and had ice water running through his veins...he was tough to beat.

Wow, 72 hour session, I would not make it! LOL

Funny though, because back when I was playing a lot (in my 20's) I could play all day and night. Now a days (in my 40's) there is no way I could have those long sessions any more. After 4 or 5 hours its time for a break!

There wasn't a Zero bar left in the candy machine when I quit. I could go forever on those things back then. Now they make me go to sleep. :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
There wasn't a Zero bar left in the candy machine when I quit. I could go forever on those things back then. Now they make me go to sleep. :)

I made the mistake of giving a guy weight to play $100 1P on a 5X10 that he was accustomed to and I wasn't. I got to $600 stuck and told him I'd have to quit if he wouldn't play even. He said, "I'll play you some $100 9 ball even." A bad game for me, but what the hell, I was stuck so I had to play, right? :frus

Anyway, I beat him 6 in a row and he pulled up. I've never again played a shadow of my that-night's-9-ball-self. Not much money but it seemed like a lot to me at the time.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I made the mistake of giving a guy weight to play $100 1P on a 5X10 that he was accustomed to and I wasn't. I got to $600 stuck and told him I'd have to quit if he wouldn't play even. He said, "I'll play you some $100 9 ball even." A bad game for me, but what the hell, I was stuck so I had to play, right? :frus

Anyway, I beat him 6 in a row and he pulled up. I've never again played a shadow of my that-night's-9-ball-self. Not much money but it seemed like a lot to me at the time.

LOL, I bet he was sick...

Instead of playing even (where he may have continued to win), he decided to change the entire game and you stuck it to him..well played sir ~

bstroud

Verified Member
i won 10K from marvin henderson and 6.8k from buffalo jerry when a new corvette was about 6k.

most i ever lost was 350.

played a lot of 350 dollar a game 9 ball.

also played 1500. per game 9 ball when a new corvette was 4k.

all on my own money.

where is the gamble today?

bill s.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The most I ever lost=All i had, too many times to count.
The most I ever played for= one game for all I had, quite a few times.
The most I ever won= Hard to remember, Flyboy $12,000, won the last two games 3,000 each.
New York Blackie $7 or $8000 most of the money was Buddy Hall, Rusty Danmier (sp), James Christopher, Roy Falco. Blackie had a little involved Thank Goodness.

Freddy lochemy, scratches don't count prop $7or $8000.
Also one ball one pocket 40 something $ hundred.

It should be said Freddy was winner against me in all our sessions.
I had him $18,000 loser once and I quit $10,000 loser because he wouldn't raise the bet.
In his defense, we were playing on credit. :):D

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I ended up playing Aaron, the guy in the wheelchair. I had to play good to beat him and your guy saw that and would not play.

Aaron was the greatest wheel chair player of all time. I played him about 10 years ago and he beat me and told me how he was in a hospital bed for 2 years. I had major back surgery the year before I played him and realized how lucky I was. He had every type of cue stick necessary to reach all shots. I let my feelings play a big part of losing to him. I played him thinking I couldn't lose what a mistake ,he beat me 4games to 3 . Seemed like a nice person, told me how wealthy he was. He owned a Trucking Co. He beat a lot of great players including Earl Strickland in 9 Ball.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
i won 10K from marvin henderson and 6.8k from buffalo jerry when a new corvette was about 6k.

all on my own money.

bill s.

I can't even imagine playing for $1,500 a game in 9-ball today, let alone when corvette's were $4k :)

very impressive Bill!

70k but it took every weekend for a month.

There was a guy, can't remember his name, but he used to come around the pool room with lots of cash (may have been a drug dealer) and he could not play a lick but loved to gamble high stakes pool. Guys that I could spot playing one pocket used to give him 9-6 or so and win $5k - $10k every session. I was just never lucky enough to be in the pool room when he came around...

Nice score Frank!

The most I ever lost=All i had, too many times to count.
The most I ever played for= one game for all I had, quite a few times.
The most I ever won= Hard to remember, Flyboy $12,000, won the last two games 3,000 each.
New York Blackie $7 or $8000 most of the money was Buddy Hall, Rusty Danmier (sp), James Christopher, Roy Falco. Blackie had a little involved Thank Goodness.

Freddy lochemy, scratches don't count prop $7or $8000.
Also one ball one pocket 40 something $ hundred.

It should be said Freddy was winner against me in all our sessions.
I had him $18,000 loser once and I quit $10,000 loser because he wouldn't raise the bet.
In his defense, we were playing on credit.

For some reason I always played worse when I was shooting 1 or 2 barrels. For some, they played better because it was do or die and would play lights out but for me it added too much pressure and I could not relax and play my game because I was too worried about losing and going bust.

Some top notch names in there Rod, I bet you have some good stories!

Aaron was the greatest wheel chair player of all time. I played him about 10 years ago and he beat me and told me how he was in a hospital bed for 2 years. I had major back surgery the year before I played him and realized how lucky I was. He had every type of cue stick necessary to reach all shots. I let my feelings play a big part of losing to him. I played him thinking I couldn't lose what a mistake ,he beat me 4games to 3 . Seemed like a nice person, told me how wealthy he was. He owned a Trucking Co. He beat a lot of great players including Earl Strickland in 9 Ball.

There is a guy from Middletown, OH named "Barbox" Charlie Hans who I used to play one pocket with years ago and he could play pretty sporty. In fact he played all games quite well. He was a monster on the bar table if you can imagine from his nickname. He was in a terrible car accident some years ago and is now in a wheelchair. Well that did not stop him. He not only continued playing pool but he is one of the best wheelchair players in the US from what I have heard / read. Looks like he won the APA Wheelchair Challenge in 2012, 2013 and 2014:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/ron-kantowski/hans-stands-mighty-tall-wheelchair-pool

I happened to draw him first round in the one pocket tournament at Michael's Billiards last year and although I didn't play well, it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway because he beat me pretty good. (I then had to play Dee Adkins in the losers bracket which did not go well either...)

I have a lot of respect for Charlie or anyone for that matter who can triumph over adversity like that...makes a lot of my problems seem so small...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

all on my own money.

bill s.

I will play you a race to three for $400. If I win I will hold the record.:D

Will we see you at Derby City?

baby huey

Verified Member
When I was 15 yrs. old I won $90K...........But I got paid $20.00. Funny how that works........

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

If it is the same Arron and I think it is, he won the National or World Handicapped Championship a few tears ago. He has a ton of heart. I had neck surgery and I was bedridden for two years. After 14 years, I'm doing much better. Science has really come along for pain medications.