Derby Daze … # 7

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

Now that one-pocket is in the books, it’s time for me to book. I must bid adieu, adieu, adieu to my virtual Derby … I do have a tamale stand to mind.

Thursday’s headline: Alex Caught Another Gear.

I lost track of how many games in a row Alex won. I saw him dispatch my sweet baboo, Efren, with, if memory serves, three 8-and-outs. Against Hollywood Hall, Alex had, maybe, a fourth 8-and-out. Then he screwed up and ran 10-and-out.

Alex really screwed up against Dechaine … I believe he lost a game and was only 6 - 1. The crowd seemed to be rooting for Alex, arguably the second most popular pool player in America, behind my personal fave, Efren.

My two Derby highlights - - well, not counting Jeffrey - - were SVB’s Bigfoot mastery and Alex’s ownership of the one-pocket field. (Well, Dechaine did have some ownership claims until the finals.)

Thursday’s wit and wisdom:

On the Hollywood Hall v. the Cannon match (doesn’t Jason have Nicholas Cage-type eyelids?) … “Two of the five best one-pocket players in the world.”

“Jason plays fast, plays loose, plays with total confidence.”

During one game there were, I believe, 12 balls in a wedge on Jason’s side … “This is the worst congestion I’ve ever seen.” And … “The people are supposed to clap just because this game is over.”

On Brandon v. Dechaine … “You’re playing one-pocket, you got to take this shot. If you don’t, take up bowling.”

“You can’t go wrong throwing Efren’s name into the conversation - - one-pocket, banks, 9-ball, the All Around.” (Personal note - - you can’t go wrong showing Efren on the TV table … Encore or live.)

“The Beard taught Efren one-pocket. First day he spotted Efren a ball. Efron won. Second day they played even. Efren won. Next day Efren was spotting Freddy.”

Nice sign off … “That’s our time for this time, until next time …”

On Klatt v. Busty (9-ball) … “He got position, but it wasn’t his fault.”

On Busty … “I think losing that pressure 10-ball match to Morra took something out of him.” Busty did eke out a win on what seemed a rather dispirited match.

On Efren v. Alex … “It’s difficult to compete with Efren early in the game. He has such great cue ball control. But a lot of top players have great cue ball control. Efren also has great object ball control.”

“Don’t sell out to a phony safety.” (Shoot the offensive shot instead.)

On Hollywood (“the best bank pool player in the world) v. Alex (a Monster) … “The last match was so fast it was like they were playing with their car keys in their hands."

On Alex … “He’s not going to miss anything. Look at this - - tic-tac-toe.”

“You know what you don’t do? You don’t unmask the Lone Ranger and you don’t give Alex this shot.”

Adulation is my life,

Sunny