G. Breedlove vs. E. Strickland 2007 D.C.C.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Mornin,Mr. Dennis.
I like banking the 7 straight back to the left(pocket speed) with enough right english to get the cball to go across the table two times and lay on the bottom rail. I've looked at the score and everything that I can, but I still feel there might be a trick question here for some reason.Seems to easy to answer.That had to be what he shot with the score and all.John B.
Oh,forgot to thank you for putting us one up over here.Thank you again,Sir

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's Earl's shot, what would you do?

View attachment 3734

I would have to bank at the 7 like a one pocket shot into the low left pocket, leaving the spotted balls undisturbed hitting the cueball about two oclock and sending it up table somewhere. If he needs three, time for safety first...

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Another option

Another option

John Brumback said:
Mornin,Mr. Dennis.
I like banking the 7 straight back to the left(pocket speed) with enough right english to get the cball to go across the table two times and lay on the bottom rail. I've looked at the score and everything that I can, but I still feel there might be a trick question here for some reason.Seems to easy to answer.That had to be what he shot with the score and all.John B.

I would probably do the same thing. But if I felt a little uncomfortable using english, as I sometimes do, and wanted to guarantee my hit by using center ball, there is a one pocket shot that I love to shoot, and that is to cut the object ball about 1/4 ball, center axis, about 1 tip above center, and bank the ball to the right hand pocket. There is no kiss and the cue ball is guaranteed to land on the bottom rail.

One more consideration, because I think about this kind of sh*t; needing one I do not want to hang the object ball or leave it right in front of the left pocket as the original shot mentioned is apt to do. Reason: it would make it too easy for my oppo to shoot it in, get the cue ball up table, get the ball spotted and then force me to have to break up the spotted balls and put every ball into play.

Shooting the bank to the right pocket would make it much easier to not leave an easy shoot-in, and then zip up table, due to the wider approach angle that the object ball would take to the pocket. If I missed on that side, the object ball would probably wind up further away from the pocket and much harder to shoot it in and return up table. It might even be left where he would be tempted to try a difficult, low percentage straight back and leave me cross side or cross corner if he misses. If he makes it and gets out, God bless him.

Beard

My percentages on shooting both shots is very close to even due to the amount of english I would have to use on the original shot to get the cue ball all the way to the end rail. The shot to the right is much, much easier than it looks.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John Brumback said:
Mornin,Mr. Dennis.

I would go this route too. Something along these lines.
earlshot.jpg

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Needing only one, I can see the idea of going for one and leaving tough..

With the line-up, though, it looks set to be able to open up the two balls in front of the cue ball while locking up with the 3(?). That puts all 3 balls into play while leaving nothing(especially if the hit isn't too hard, so as to leave the 5(?) blocking a Z on the 3).

To me, the safe looks a lot easier, especially if just bumping it on a diamond to drive the second ball to the rail and back a little.

Earl.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No good.

No good.

Banks said:
Needing only one, I can see the idea of going for one and leaving tough..

With the line-up, though, it looks set to be able to open up the two balls in front of the cue ball while locking up with the 3(?). That puts all 3 balls into play while leaving nothing(especially if the hit isn't too hard, so as to leave the 5(?) blocking a Z on the 3).

To me, the safe looks a lot easier, especially if just bumping it on a diamond to drive the second ball to the rail and back a little.

View attachment 3747

Mr Banks, the shot is a stiff whether you need one or everyone. Here are the reasons. While the shot is laying absolutely perfect to do what you suggest, you must consider the aftermath. If you only need one why on earth would you want to open up all the balls whereby your oppo can win the game on one shot? Secondly, why would you pass up a chance to win the game with a relatively free straight back to either side?
Now, if you needed all three, this is why your safety is no good: To start with, you have a decent cross-side to shoot, and you can bring the cue ball ball back near the two spotted balls and maybe get out. Shooting to try and win is the strongest option. Your safety, while it does open up all three balls and leaves your oppo dead safe -- for that inning only -- it still leaves him with an easy safety off the side of the ball he is frozen to. Spinning off the frozen ball with complimentary english will put the cue ball on the foot rail with 3 balls in the open all over the table and only give-up shots available to you. If you don't make a long hard shot in your inning, you are a giant favorite to lose the game immediately thereafter. That's why if you are going to shoot, it is much better to shoot the cross-side, rather than being forced later to shoot something long and hard, and starting from the foot cushion.

Beard

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
fred bentivegna said:
Mr Banks, the shot is a stiff whether you need one or everyone. Here are the reasons. While the shot is laying absolutely perfect to do what you suggest, you must consider the aftermath. If you only need one why on earth would you want to open up all the balls whereby your oppo can win the game on one shot? Secondly, why would you pass up a chance to win the game with a relatively free straight back to either side?
Now, if you needed all three, this is why your safety is no good: To start with, you have a decent cross-side to shoot, and you can bring the cue ball ball back near the two spotted balls and maybe get out. Shooting to try and win is the strongest option. Your safety, while it does open up all three balls and leaves your oppo dead safe -- for that inning only -- it still leaves him with an easy safety off the side of the ball he is frozen to. Spinning off the frozen ball with complimentary english will put the cue ball on the foot rail with 3 balls in the open all over the table and only give-up shots available to you. If you don't make a long hard shot in your inning, you are a giant favorite to lose the game immediately thereafter. That's why if you are going to shoot, it is much better to shoot the cross-side, rather than being forced later to shoot something long and hard, and starting from the foot cushion.

Beard

I agree with everything(not that it matters, since uhh you'd probably kick my butt a million ways from wednesday) except for the fact that the kind of safety I suggested here is one of the ones I like most - two balls locked with the cue ball in position to lock up in the back. Most likely I would have gone for the shot before, but I mixed in something you mentioned before.. opening up the table and locking your opponent puts tremendous pressure on them. With the cue ball locked, Earl's got no reasonable shot and will be handing back over the table with 3 balls to choose from.

If it wasn't something I liked shooting(and sort of look forward to when I see it), I'd be shooting for the win. With the layout, I think my personal chances of locking the safety would be better than making the shot.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Banks said:
I agree with everything(not that it matters, since uhh you'd probably kick my butt a million ways from wednesday) except for the fact that the kind of safety I suggested here is one of the ones I like most - two balls locked with the cue ball in position to lock up in the back. Most likely I would have gone for the shot before, but I mixed in something you mentioned before.. opening up the table and locking your opponent puts tremendous pressure on them. With the cue ball locked, Earl's got no reasonable shot and will be handing back over the table with 3 balls to choose from.

If it wasn't something I liked shooting(and sort of look forward to when I see it), I'd be shooting for the win. With the layout, I think my personal chances of locking the safety would be better than making the shot.

Yeah but you have a free shot to win the game..right now. You only need one little ball.Why wait? John B.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
John Brumback said:
Yeah but you have a free shot to win the game..right now. You only need one little ball.Why wait? John B.

Because if I miss against a high caliber player, that may just be the end of it. I normally play aggressively in other games, maybe I should stick with what that.

You're both asking "wtf are you thinking?".. I think you're trying to tell me something. :D

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
Banks said:
Because if I miss against a high caliber player, that may just be the end of it. I normally play aggressively in other games, maybe I should stick with what that.

You're both asking "wtf are you thinking?".. I think you're trying to tell me something. :D
Haha,Yes we are.What do you mean,If you miss? If you roll the 7ball decent
your not going to lose but If you keep messin around you might.John B.

timdog24

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I would probably do the same thing. But if I felt a little uncomfortable using english, as I sometimes do, and wanted to guarantee my hit by using center ball, there is a one pocket shot that I love to shoot, and that is to cut the object ball about 1/4 ball, center axis, about 1 tip above center, and bank the ball to the right hand pocket. There is no kiss and the cue ball is guaranteed to land on the bottom rail.

One more consideration, because I think about this kind of sh*t; needing one I do not want to hang the object ball or leave it right in front of the left pocket as the original shot mentioned is apt to do. Reason: it would make it too easy for my oppo to shoot it in, get the cue ball up table, get the ball spotted and then force me to have to break up the spotted balls and put every ball into play.

Shooting the bank to the right pocket would make it much easier to not leave an easy shoot-in, and then zip up table, due to the wider approach angle that the object ball would take to the pocket. If I missed on that side, the object ball would probably wind up further away from the pocket and much harder to shoot it in and return up table. It might even be left where he would be tempted to try a difficult, low percentage straight back and leave me cross side or cross corner if he misses. If he makes it and gets out, God bless him.

Beard

My percentages on shooting both shots is very close to even due to the amount of english I would have to use on the original shot to get the cue ball all the way to the end rail. The shot to the right is much, much easier than it looks.

Another idea - Is banking the 7 cross side with a little below center/outside a bad choice? Cue ball going two/three rails back down near the lower left pocket.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
As I said...

As I said...

timdog24 said:
Another idea - Is banking the 7 cross side with a little below center/outside a bad choice? Cue ball going two/three rails back down near the lower left pocket.

The cross side is a good idea, IF YOU NEED THEM ALL. Needing one, what you suggest is possible, but considering the score, since you cant guarantee you will be able to do what you have visualized, why take the chance?

Even if you do manage to move the cue ball the way you want to, what about the ball you are shooting at? That is going to stay somewhere in the middle of the table, for low. It is also not inconceivable that you could catch a point and have the the object ball delivered near the cue ball wherever it lands.

No such hope for those miracles if you straight back the seven ball.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
I've looked at the score and everything that I can, but I still feel there might be a trick question here for some reason.
Oh John, you always say that:p . The trick is this: Anytime that G. Breedlove is playing I. Needglove you can count on I.N. to do something strange. He did bank the 7 cross-side and missed it.

My video player is down right now but to the best of my recollection this is about how the shot went. George banked out, finishing with a long, round-the-table three-railer on the 7 ball.

Earl's Shot 2.jpg

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Oh John, you always say that:p . The trick is this: Anytime that G. Breedlove is playing I. Needglove you can count on I.N. to do something strange. He did bank the 7 cross-side and missed it.

My video player is down right now but to the best of my recollection this is about how the shot went. George banked out, finishing with a long, round-the-table three-railer on the 7 ball.

View attachment 3753

Well I knew there had to be something weired about this.It was just to easy.
The funny part Is,Is that Earl lived right here In Richmond,Ky for a few years and played quite of bit of bankpool with some pretty good bankpool players.
I'm not kidding,there for awhile Earl played good banks.I really don't know what happened.I remember thinking, this guy Is going to be a top bankpool player.I guess he was from to far south.Hey Dennis,maye you can put us up something good or better.Thanks,Big buddy.and good try.John B

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Your honor....

Your honor....

Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 3753

I rest my case. (see post #14) Look it over good, Timdog.

Beard

Warren

Verified Member
From
Midway, KY
Think, I would have shot the seven strait in the side pocket and left the cue ball on the end rail. Hopefully to get a better shot.

timdog24

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I rest my case. (see post #14) Look it over good, Timdog.

Beard

Thanks Beard. Looked it over good. You couldn't have explained it any better. Reminded me a little of Tim McCarver calling game 7 of the 2001 World Series and he explains how Rivera's cutter to lefty Luis Gonzalez could produce a broken bat single over the Jeter's head. And, on the next pitch that's exactly what happened.:)