A Shot I Liked

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
This one was really productive. Not too difficult - my big accomplishment was seeing it (and not overhitting it).

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ALDG4BCpe3CCYA3DTxd3EBJl4FFjA3GRUe4HAdr4IAMA3JFSI3KDGS1PMpt4ULDG4UGoi4UJSA4UQWR3XTxd3XbSd4aFjA4aEdP4aGql3bRUe3bTol4cAdr3cPAW3cNth3cNLq1kMpt4kMAp4kXOh@[/CUETABLE]

Probably instantly obvious to a real one pocket player.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Patrick Johnson said:
This one was really productive. Not too difficult - my big accomplishment was seeing it (and not overhitting it).

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ALDG4BCpe3CCYA3DTxd3EBJl4FFjA3GRUe4HAdr4IAMA3JFSI3KDGS1PMpt4ULDG4UGoi4UJSA4UQWR3XTxd3XbSd4aFjA4aEdP4aGql3bRUe3bTol4cAdr3cPAW3cNth3cNLq1kMpt4kMAp4kXOh@[/CUETABLE]

Probably instantly obvious to a real one pocket player.

pj
chgo
Yeah, I wouldn't always notice a six ball combo. It looks to me like once you figured out you could make that dead ball, you could kind of go all out for the shot. The reason I say that, is that if that ball wasn't dead, and a ball didn't go, I see see a couple of things that could go wrong with this shot (in between the times it works out great).

1 being that 1-ball, caroming off of the 6-ball -- you can see by your own drawing how dangerously close that comes to landing right in front of your opponent's pocket -- and sometimes it will do that for sure, depending on your speed and angle. That's kind of a dangerous carom angle is what I am saying.

2 being where the cue ball ends up as drawn (if a ball does not go for you) -- in the open, down below the mass of the stack, where your opponent will have lots of options -- possibly including a clean and easy bank.

I like to (when I can) stick to the principle that if I don't know where all the object balls are going, I want to try to stick the cue ball somewhere safe for sure -- if I can. If I do know where all the object balls are going, well then I have more options for the cue ball. jmho

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Patrick Johnson said:

Good read, Patrick. A 1-ball combo into the 5-ball wouldn't be a bad shot either. Puts stuff in your corner, and the 11-ball blocks your opponent's cross-corner banking lanes.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If the 6 ball combo is on, then the shooter should go all out and shoot to win, like Steve eluded to. If it's not, then controlling the 1 ball, and 6 ball could be a problem. Doc's shot would be a good option, shooting the 1` ball into the high side of the 5 ball, (not too high) drawing the cue ball (soft draw) and using the stack as blockers.

Billy I.

Last edited: