Learning the Game

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Learning the Game

Just my humble opinion...

take a notebook with you to the pool room...
write down what you see, what you learn, specifically shots that don't make sense that your more experienced opponent shoots... most of them set you up for a trap later... you have to recognize them earlier than him...

read freddy the beard's one pocket secrets... its worth the time

don't beat up on yourself...

study your notes and play within your capabilities...

If I could only do the above...

B

The "don't beat up on yourself" is the hard part, I know how good I can play the other games and this can be frustrating. I am trying to play stronger players at 1P, and I can start to hold my own against them. I am a shotmaker and if they make a mistake I can make a tough shot and run some balls, but its the "moving" part that I get frustrated at more often then missing shots. I think the 'mistake that costs me the game' is the most frustrating part.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Of course the big difference between banking in One Pocket and in Banks is object ball speed -- and that is a huge difference if you enjoy the free-stroking in Banks, versus the delicate pocket speed, over and over again, in One Pocket.

You probably will want to continue to mix One Pocket in with those other games to keep your basic pool stroke (and your confidence) strong :D

A really good Banks and One Pocket player by the name of Troy Jones once told me that to make the banks in One Pocket you actually need a stroke and then proceeded to demonstrate by lag banking a long bank from the other end of the table with almost no extra speed but with all the english he needed to draw whitie. It aint easy.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I really appreciate all the replies. I will definitely add the recommended books to my growing library. I will look through the old posts on this site. I will also look into the Accu Stats videos.

I have the patience for the game - most of players my age or younger don't (I just turned 30). I have the motivation/drive to keep learning and improving. I have improved at 1P significantly over the last 6 months but I still feel so new to the game. My banks have improved drastically to where I can bank near pocket speed now (6 months ago I could make banks but not at pocket speed).

The game can be frustrating. I can go from winning local 8 ball, 9 ball or 10 ball tournament and I'm shooting great, but then I rack up 1P and it can be rough. I am to the point in all other games I can just relax - trust myself and my stroke and run racks. But at 1P I'm thinking soo much about stuff the opponent is doing, stuff that works for me and stuff that doesn't work - its like I'm learning this from a beginners stand point.

about 4 months ago I was racking up 1P to play against a buddy (Sam, who is about my skill level in other games, but has 10+ years experience in 1P). A guy that works at the poolhall (really strong player and very knowledgeable) was walking by and saw we were about to play 1P. The guy says "Sam, I bet Richard can beat you every game if I coach him on every shot." So sam agreed and we started. We played for over 3 hours with this guy not only coaching what shots to take but he was explaining why (which was the most important thing). I did win every game, but most importantly was I learned what seemed to be years of information in hours.

BINGO:)
the more you can get time with that guy the better

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
WWYD,
Watch the streaming match right now between Efren and Neils. Neils just won after going 4 or 5 scratches below zero.

piggybank04

Verified Member
for me, i can condense one pocket into two themes--banking and cueball speed.....obviously, theres much more than that, but when ive got those two aspects down, im ready to go against anyone--beyond this, id say watch shannon daulton play, i really think his game is super solid, and one ive tried to emulate--he has a very good mind for defensive moves, and at the same time staying very aggressive offensively and he moves well......

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Learning the Game

BINGO:)
the more you can get time with that guy the better

I try to when I can. There are some other knowledgable players that are all showing me stuff. One guy said "You shoot real straight, you pocket balls well, and you bank well, I'm going to teach you everything I know and we are going to make some money together"

It's weird that over the years I've always been the nice guy to take time to show other players stuff and teach players stuff. Now I'm the player looking for advice and information. It doesn't hurt that there are 6+ poolhalls within 20 minutes of where I live and another one that has a lot of 1P players is about 45 mintues away.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Learning the Game

for me, i can condense one pocket into two themes--banking and cueball speed.....obviously, theres much more than that, but when ive got those two aspects down, im ready to go against anyone--beyond this, id say watch shannon daulton play, i really think his game is super solid, and one ive tried to emulate--he has a very good mind for defensive moves, and at the same time staying very aggressive offensively and he moves well......

I have pretty good cueball speed. And I've definitely been working on and improving banking with the right speed.

I've been watching tons of players matches on youtube. It seems all the great 1P players get a lot of value out of each shot. When they can they move a ball into an offensive position and protect it (offense and defense). They also move more than 1 ball when clearing from opponents side, or they move multiple balls to their side while playing safe (bank a ball into the stack and play the cueball into the stack).

little willie

That's what I did when I was trying to learn -- I drove about an hour and a half each way to play Bob 'Ingie' Ingersoll, who was a terrific all around player and contemporary of 'Boston Shorty' -- except 'Ingie' was actually a few years older than 'Shorty'. He was about 80 when I was playing him, so he relied much more on his moving than his shooting, and that was exactly the part of the game that I was trying to better understand. I played him every other weekend or so for a year or two. If you can find a veteran player that knows the moves, but is perhaps a little weaker to the pocket than they used to be, that is the best, and well worth going out of your way to make it happen.

I recently found this photo of 'Ingie' receiving the NE championship trophy in 1966. Rest in Peace, champ!

you had a good one to learn from steve