You have a choice

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I will put up two images. You have a choice as to which situation you would prefer to be shooting from. This is the last ball on the table. The object ball is in the same position in each case. Only the cue ball has been moved. Your pocket is labeled. Please explain your decision.

Tom

Image A

Attachments

• 114.JPG
    114.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 0

u12armresl

Verified Member
From the first shot, I'm going to get the ball within 6", the second ball is kind of a double kiss depending on a few factors.

It's a shot diagrammed in the skills drills one pocket edition

Sorry, it said explain your decision. Kick rail first right english, one rail back.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Shot

Shot

I would prefer image A. You can two rail or kick. I prefer the two rail shot, following the cue ball down to the end rail.

treeMan

Verified Member
I'm with the previous posters, I like the first position and would hit the two rail shot and follow to the end rail.

The two railer from the second position is very likely a double kiss.

I don't know the kick shot from here, when I try it usually doesn't work out :frus. (I guess I could hit it a hundred times, but who has time :(, the few times I get in the pool hall I just want to play ...)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I prefer position B for several reasons.

If your shooting to make it it's easier to judge the cut angle.

Less chance of a kiss.

If you miss it, the CB and OB will be on the same side of the table, less chance of selling out an easy return bank.

PS, the kick bank is better from A but I suck at those. It won't go from A without a little cut, hence a kiss or cross bank sell out

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
The first picture is an easier two rail bank shot without a kiss. The second looks like a kiss. What's the prize?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
You have a choice

While I like Jim's thought about the cue ending up on the same side as the OB, I would also choose A for the reasons named. It's almost natural so easily controllable and no chance of a kiss. I love these shots and If I miss the OB should be right in the jaws somewhere or on the bottom rail.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
After setting it up a bunch of times I realized how critical the OB placement is.
From View A, I set it up with the line running from QB thru OB directly at the second diamond. With this set up shooting from B, I didn't have a kiss, but move the OB a little closer to the corner I had a bunch of kisses. Move the OB closer to the side pocket and there is no kiss from view B.

A is probably better from this position.

Thanks Tom for the thread.

Last edited:

TomRoden

Verified Member
first diagram

first diagram

Either lie would be fine. I prefer the first diagram, shot with pocket speed . If I miss my opponent has a tough decision to make.
Second shot wont double kiss but will leave the cueball on my side.I'd rather have it sitting close to the top rail.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Here are two images showing the possible results from each position and having miscalculated the speed of the shot. The first image comes from cue ball position A and the second from position B. Though the shot is a far more straight forward shot from position A there is a price to pay for poor speed control whereas from position B the same poor control has far less risk of the cross corner bank.

The only thing I am trying to convey is how important it is to consider the speed control when forced to leave the cue ball and object ball on opposite side rails.

Tom

Attachments

• 116.JPG
    116.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 0

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Here is the second image. To avoid any confusion, the incoming players pocket is now on the right.
Though this ball can be banked for the win it is a far more difficult shot to pull off and it has considerably more risk of a scratch.
Tom

Attachments

• 117.JPG
    117.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 0

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Lets assume that neither shot is laying on a kiss angle which looks to me that neither are. Shot A is a much easier hit because your aiming at a fuller ball, and aiming at a fuller ball will allow you to judge the speed of the OB better than if you were aiming at a thinner cut. When we need to cut balls more thinly especially shots that carry distance our accuracy is diminished and it will show not only with the direction of the OB but also the speed of it as well. Option A allows you to strike the shot more accurately and also judge the speed of the OB with more consistancy then option B will.

I also believe that option A will result in fewer sell outs than option B because of how much easier the hit is with option A. If both shots carried the same degree of difficulty with the hit then I would clearly go sith option B, however, thats not the case.

Dr. Bill

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I like position A much better because everything is in front of you, the cue ball, the object ball the part of the rail you want to hit. This makes the two rail shot much easier to pocket the ball or to get it very close to your pocket.

With position B you have to use your mind's eye to find the right spot to hit on the rail. Cut it too much and you either make the ball in the that corner pocket and spotting it up or you will wind up sending the ball toward his pocket. Don't cut it enough and hit it too full you might give up a cross corner because you might not get it close enough to your pocket.

P>S. These comments were for the original layouts of position A and B

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Here is the second image. To avoid any confusion, the incoming players pocket is now on the right.
Though this ball can be banked for the win it is a far more difficult shot to pull off and it has considerably more risk of a scratch.
Tom

I would go rail first stop shot and put the object ball up on the right side long rail a diamond or two past the side pocket. What's he gonna do?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I set up each shot 10 times today. Position A was overall the most favorable. I made the ball once from each position but was easier to sell out a good shot from B.

A wins, but I'll shoot it from either position.

TomRoden

Verified Member
kinda obvious

kinda obvious

the last two photos, given the choice, it really isn't much of a choice.
Like "death or birthday cake?"
C'mon, give us a hard one. These are for beginners.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
the last two photos, given the choice, it really isn't much of a choice.
Like "death or birthday cake?"
C'mon, give us a hard one. These are for beginners.

Tom, I'm not sure what your complaint is here. You are aware that these last two images are results of having shot from the first two positions in this thread, right? I was not asking wwyd had you been left in either of these last two positions. These results are based on having shot with poor speed control from the two cue ball locations at the beginning of the thread. Again the point I was making was that given poor speed control there is an inherent risk of a return bank from the first cue ball location than that of the second. Therefore, the first location, though it is a more straight forward position to shoot from requires a more critical execution of the speed for the object ball.

Tom

Last edited: