S. Daulton vs. B. Gregg 2005 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's game one and Gregg broke, made a ball and ran four. He needs one ball, what would you shoot?

I like these bank pool layouts, no need to label pockets:) .

CapturedPicture_1.Jpeg

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's game one and Gregg broke, made a ball and ran four. He needs one ball, what would you shoot?

View attachment 2666

Hey Dennis,You might not have to lable the pockets but you might have to lable the balls, cause......I'm colored blind!! I'm not kidding. I can't tell which Is which. I see 2 shots.The ball close to him cross corner.Hold It or cross It.
I can't tell If that's laying good enough to hold.If not, I'm going to shoot that ball that's down table and on the right,1 rail back down, pocket speed with high right to help hold It up just a little and cross It over the cueball and lay the rock on the rail. This Is one of my favorite shots.Free and easy.Playing the score, I think that's the shot. John B.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
since im not abank pool player and have no clue about strategegy
(but i hope to learn as time goes on :) )
id shoot the cross corner bank game over:eek:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
Hey Dennis,You might not have to lable the pockets but you might have to lable the balls, cause......I'm colored blind!! I'm not kidding. I can't tell which Is which. I see 2 shots.The ball close to him cross corner.Hold It or cross It.
I can't tell If that's laying good enough to hold.If not, I'm going to shoot that ball that's down table and on the right,1 rail back down, pocket speed with high right to help hold It up just a little and cross It over the cueball and lay the rock on the rail. This Is one of my favorite shots.Free and easy.Playing the score, I think that's the shot. John B.
John,

I'm not real good with the colors of the t.v. balls but here's my best guess. This is the layout right before the one I posted. He made the 9 on the break and banked the 8,6 and 1 balls. I think the pink is the 4 ball isn't it? And the brown ball the 7? I hate these balls. He banks the pink ball cross-side and that leads to the layout I posted first.

Dennis

Layout Colors.jpg

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

I'm not real good with the colors of the t.v. balls but here's my best guess. This is the layout right before the one I posted. He made the 9 on the break and banked the 8,6 and 1 balls. I think the pink is the 4 ball isn't it? And the brown ball the 7? I hate these balls. He banks the pink ball cross-side and that leads to the layout I posted first.

Dennis

View attachment 2668

Yes you got the colors right.Pink 4 Brown 7.John B.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
There are 4 possible cross-corner banks Larry:D .
since you dont play banks ill give you the benefit of the doubt:p
its this one i meant which should be th obvious one:D
dd.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
If not, I'm going to shoot that ball that's down table and on the right,1 rail back down, pocket speed with high right to help hold It up just a little and cross It over the cueball and lay the rock on the rail. This Is one of my favorite shots.Free and easy.Playing the score, I think that's the shot. John B.
John,

Are you talking about banking the 3 straight-back?

P.S. This is a fine time to start playing the score:cool: .

John B's Shot.jpg

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 2666

I'd pass that ball right in front of him. If you miss it it may hang, taking it out of play.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

Are you talking about banking the 3 straight-back?

P.S. This is a fine time to start playing the score:cool: .

View attachment 2671

Yes Dennis,I love that shot! I play the score but still play the shots that I like. Do you hit this shot like i'm describing? With high right?
I couldn't tell If that 5 was laying easy enough to hold.If It Is? which ya'll think It Is..That's a good shot too. I think alot depends on which shots you hit the best. Where do you get all these shots? Have you got anymore with me? If you do maybe I can remember what I did with them. John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
I think that would also be my choice. I think you could draw the cueball back to the side-rail with no problem on that shot.

Dennis

Sure you all could...But just don't miss It cause there Is no defence to that shot at all. Matter of fact, If you miss It,looks to me like your even playing
shape!! Your gonna have to use low right aren't ya? But you only need one??!! It's a good shot as long as you make It.
But like I said before,I can't tell If it's laying easy or not. If It's easy..yes
If It's not easy ..no.That's my best way to say what I would do.John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You got it, bro..

You got it, bro..

blackeee said:
I'd pass that ball right in front of him. If you miss it it may hang, taking it out of play.

Needing one, your most important consideration is winning the game of course. But you must add, winning the game, but not losing if you miss. The optimum choice of shot would always have to be, win if I make it, dont lose if I miss. Can things get any stronger than that? That's why I would pass the same ball, as you said, and hit it with pocket speed. If I make it, I win. If I miss it, that ball is out of play and my oppo cant win the game in the next inning. Sure, hitting the bank with a little speed might slightly increase your accuracy with the shot, but if you are afraid to roll that bank in the pocket you are playing in the wrong game.

A mindset that I have maintained throughout my career was to make sure, no matter what game I was playing, was to choose a shot, if possible, that wouldnt lose me the game on the next shot. If my oppo needs 6, I made sure he could only get 5 at the most. Needs 3? I would try to take at least 1 out of play. It is discouraging to you oppo when he cant see out even if he makes a trick shot.

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John Brumback said:
Yes Dennis,I love that shot! I play the score but still play the shots that I like. Do you hit this shot like i'm describing? With high right?
John, I agree that the 3 ball straight back is a good shot. But may I ask why you like high right english? The way it lays, the 3 ball will pick up a little natural right spin. Are you thinking about hitting it a little long and having the right english shorten the angle a little?

Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
I couldn't tell If that 5 was laying easy enough to hold.If It Is? which ya'll think It Is..That's a good shot too. I think alot depends on which shots you hit the best. Where do you get all these shots? Have you got anymore with me? If you do maybe I can remember what I did with them. John B.
John, you sure do ask a lot of questions:) . Yes, if the bank on the three is laying the way it looks like it's laying I would use right on the shot. I don't think I would necessarily use top-right though.

Gregg decided to bank the only ball he should have left alone. To make this bank on the 2 ball would require almost stopping the cueball after the shot. He would then leave a cross-side on the 5, a straight-back on the 3 and a straight-back on the 7 if he misses. Naturally when a player is shooting the wrong shot he hits it bad trying to get safe. I would think it's almost impossible to hit this bank this bad, but it's what he did.

Gregg's Shot.jpg

After spotting up a ball for the scratch and the one that went in on the break, here's how he left Daulton.

Gregg's Leave.Jpeg