1pwannabe

Verified Member
Our favorite dinosaur T-Rex is shooting, the score is 0-0

What should T-Rex do?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
If a combo is available on either the 14 or the 11, Tony is going to want to figure a way to shoot one of them. Of course he might just slice the 14 down and in.;)

I would have to come off the right of the 10 ball, and bunt away the 1.

~Doc

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
1st thing I see is hit about 1/2 of the right side of the 8 ball & bounce off his long rail and freeze to the back of the 3 ball. 8 into the 7 pushing a ball out on his side.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Our favorite dinosaur T-Rex is shooting, the score is 0-0

What should T-Rex do?

I doubt Tony would do what I'd recommend for him, but he has the skill and I don't. Slam the 10 into the outside half of the 3 (opponent's side) and stun forward.

It's possible that a 4-11-15 combo lays right, and if so he's shootin' it and sending CB into the 1.

youngstown

Verified Member
Wstd

I doubt Tony would do what I'd recommend for him, but he has the skill and I don't. Slam the 10 into the outside half of the 3 (opponent's side) and stun forward.

It's possible that a 4-11-15 combo lays right, and if so he's shootin' it and sending CB into the 1.
Was thinking the same thing for both shots, but I think it's laying for the 4-5-6-13

Yeah, well, that's just, like, you're opinion, man.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
1st thing I see is hit about 1/2 of the right side of the 8 ball & bounce off his long rail and freeze to the back of the 3 ball. 8 into the 7 pushing a ball out on his side.

I usually don't disagree with you or Mitch. But that's an awful precise hit, when any kind of contact with the 1 ball along that path is a disaster. I would only shoot that if I thought the 13 would probably go--that gives me two ways to not sell out. Also, I'd hit it firm enough so that if it's perfect, I bump the 3 and get a bit of space.

Speaking of perfect, re: Gulfport doc. Coming off the 10 into the 1 is also very demanding with the 1-ball basically frozen. Seems like a huge double-kiss risk. Also, some risk of selling a bank on the 1 or 3 even if you don't kiss (e.g., 1 could hit the 3 and one of them ends up bankable).

For mortals, making the 1 is probably right (Fast Eddie's shot), though you probably leave a free or cheap return bank on the 10. I think I'd want it more close to the hole, as opposed to right by the 3, but on the footrail.

Studying the multiball combo, I don't think it can be made hitting the 7 first. But if the *4 ball* hits the 5 on the right it will throw the 6 left and could make the 15. You can do that with a fairly firm half ball hit on the 4 and catch the 15 on the way in (or not) and still get the right hit, and send the cue ball at the 1 on a path that won't double-kiss. Sometimes I like to let my opponent know that I'm crazy, so if I'm feeling that way at the moment, that's my shot. At least this way, *if* I make it, I'm probably gonna do some real damage.

But I'm probably shooting the 1 in.

Cory

Attachments

• Carom Combo Clean.jpg
    Carom Combo Clean.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wstd

I'm twirl banking the 1 cueball kicks the 3 toward my hole then the cueball takes the 12 out cueball rest on his side rail

That adds up to a powerful shot if all goes well. If I was in trouble without easy options that shot might bail me out and reverse my fortunes, and that's why I love that kind of shot. but it looks kind of do or die for a situation and score that doesn't quite call for it at the moment anyway. That's my 2 cents.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I usually don't disagree with you or Mitch. But that's an awful precise hit, when any kind of contact with the 1 ball along that path is a disaster. I would only shoot that if I thought the 13 would probably go--that gives me two ways to not sell out. Also, I'd hit it firm enough so that if it's perfect, I bump the 3 and get a bit of space.

Speaking of perfect, re: Gulfport doc. Coming off the 10 into the 1 is also very demanding with the 1-ball basically frozen. Seems like a huge double-kiss risk. Also, some risk of selling a bank on the 1 or 3 even if you don't kiss (e.g., 1 could hit the 3 and one of them ends up bankable).

For mortals, making the 1 is probably right (Fast Eddie's shot), though you probably leave a free or cheap return bank on the 10. I think I'd want it more close to the hole, as opposed to right by the 3, but on the footrail.

Studying the multiball combo, I don't think it can be made hitting the 7 first. But if the *4 ball* hits the 5 on the right it will throw the 6 left and could make the 15. You can do that with a fairly firm half ball hit on the 4 and catch the 15 on the way in (or not) and still get the right hit, and send the cue ball at the 1 on a path that won't double-kiss. Sometimes I like to let my opponent know that I'm crazy, so if I'm feeling that way at the moment, that's my shot. At least this way, *if* I make it, I'm probably gonna do some real damage.

But I'm probably shooting the 1 in.

Cory

Making the one ball is the safest shot, no question, it's simple and effective.
Here's the thing though, without opening a ball to his side, it allows his opponent freedom the shoot at the 10 ball bank or if the CB is left short of the foot rail, he might choose to kick at the stack, specifically the 9 ball which will open things up quite nicely for him.

The angle off the 8 isn't ideal for sure, but the 1/2 ball hit isn't all that difficult, it's a common escape shot in one pocket and muscle memory should help with the CB speed, which is as critical, if not more so, than the hit on the 8 ball. Being at the table would make the decision much easier, because then you can see and feel the angles much better and also look at the stack to judge the inner actions of ball movement therein.

I probably shoot the 1 and give him the free bank... Unless I felt I could execute the 8 ball shot.

Heres another option off the 8, it's aggressive this early in the game, but could literally turn the table on him... Shoot the 8 into the 7 and open up balls to your side and billiard the 1 ball over. Hit the shot with enough speed to move the 1 ball 8/10 inches over on a solid hit. Risky... Unnecessary...foolish...all of the above! But I might shoot it anyway... Lol.

When are you coming to Houston? I forget... Often... I remember it was later at night and I think it was on a Saturday, but if it's coming up soon, I will make it a point to be there at Bogies so we can meet & perhaps play a few games. I would like that very much.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
well first off let me say, I don't like it...so its a very good WWYD imo.

I agree that the safest shot would be to pocket the 1 and roll up behind the 3 and depending on your speed you may even be able to block the bank on the 10 if you get under the 3 a little bit.

That being said here are a couple of other options I see.

First would be something that doc mentioned originally and come off of the 10 with a little LHE so once it bunts the 1 away the CB spins down towards the foot rail like this:

Another option if its available (hard to tell) is to thread the CB through the 10 and 2 and get behind the 3. It's probably too risky because if you hit either of those balls on the way down you are selling out but if executed well, you now have a ball in your quadrant, broke some extras free in the stack near your side and have turned this thing around:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
(Cut)

When are you coming to Houston? I forget... Often... I remember it was later at night and I think it was on a Saturday, but if it's coming up soon, I will make it a point to be there at Bogies so we can meet & perhaps play a few games. I would like that very much.

I post one crazy shot and now everybody wants to play me! (Just kidding!)

Kidding aside, I would really enjoy that too. Unfortunately I was there this most recent weekend. I didn't land till 9:00 pm on Saturday and was way on the other side of town on Sunday night (Rosenberg), and left on Monday morning. It was a very short trip to take care of some family stuff.

My family is there, so I'll definitely keep trying to connect when I'm back.

Cory

1pwannabe

Verified Member
If you post crazy shots, you become an easy mark for all these hustlers. :cool:

I post one crazy shot and now everybody wants to play me! (Just kidding!)

Kidding aside, I would really enjoy that too. Unfortunately I was there this most recent weekend. I didn't land till 9:00 pm on Saturday and was way on the other side of town on Sunday night (Rosenberg), and left on Monday morning. It was a very short trip to take care of some family stuff.

My family is there, so I'll definitely keep trying to connect when I'm back.

Cory

baby huey

Verified Member
Go off the right side of the eight ball and open up the stack a little to your side and nestle in behind the seven ball. It's laying pretty well for this shot but if hit poorly can touch the one ball and sell out. Second option is to just make the one ball. I like going off the eight ball more as it can be executed and thus might be a game changer.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
well first off let me say, I don't like it...so its a very good WWYD imo.

I agree that the safest shot would be to pocket the 1 and roll up behind the 3 and depending on your speed you may even be able to block the bank on the 10 if you get under the 3 a little bit.

That being said here are a couple of other options I see.

First would be something that doc mentioned originally and come off of the 10 with a little LHE so once it bunts the 1 away the CB spins down towards the foot rail like this:

Another option if its available (hard to tell) is to thread the CB through the 10 and 2 and get behind the 3. It's probably too risky because if you hit either of those balls on the way down you are selling out but if executed well, you now have a ball in your quadrant, broke some extras free in the stack near your side and have turned this thing around:

I like your first option here of clearing out all three balls. Do something now before things get worse. Do it now before more balls bet opened up.

I don't like the option of pocketing the one ball. If the cue ball doesn't lay on the rail he will then have a bank on the 14 ball and position on the 3 ball.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Off the pink solid sending it into the combo 15 and brown stripe which is on and the cue ball into the one.

Was the first thing I saw but it doesn't look like you can hit enough of the pink ball to contact the first stripe where you need to