Hardtimes - Bellflower results

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
In case anyone is interested, the first Saturday of the month 1P tournament results at Hardtimes in beautiful downtown Bellflower, CA are:

1 - King Kong
2 - Fach

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
demonrho said:
In case anyone is interested, the first Saturday of the month 1P tournament results at Hardtimes in beautiful downtown Bellflower, CA are:

1 - King Kong
2 - Fach

Bernardo's one pocket game is very strong right now. I played him a session getting some weight at Hard Times a day or two after Christmas and was very impressed with his game. He runs balls well and he banks off the end rail as good as anyone. I played as good as I can play and couldn't get there.

Maybe another ball next time will do it.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Don.........Bernardo doesn't play 1P as good as Rich Grenier though, does he ?

- Ghost

Ghost:
I'm a bottom feeder so my skill at clocking upper echelon players is not that highly developed;)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:
Bernardo's one pocket game is very strong right now. I played him a session getting some weight at Hard Times a day or two after Christmas and was very impressed with his game. He runs balls well and he banks off the end rail as good as anyone. I played as good as I can play and couldn't get there.

Maybe another ball next time will do it.
I didn't realize that the Kongster played much one-hole. He's not getting any younger either. So maybe that's why he's honing his 1P game. Is Bernardo in his early 50's, or not that old? How strong does Morro play 1P?

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
I didn't realize that the Kongster played much one-hole. He's not getting any younger either. So maybe that's why he's honing his 1P game. Is Bernardo in his early 50's, or not that old? How strong does Morro play 1P?

Doc

I think he is in his late 50's Doc. Morro doesn't care for one pocket, but don't worry he can play it when he has to.

Little Al Romero also charged me some when I was down there and he is in his 70's.

Another poster asked about King Kong and Rich Grenier on here. Totally different styles and before I played this session with Bernardo I would have bet on Rich, but it would be a tough match either way. Rich might break him down with his all around solid game, but I would give Bernardo a chance.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
jrhendy said:
...asked about King Kong and Rich Grenier on here. Totally different styles and before I played this session with Bernardo I would have bet on Rich...

Bernardo's become quite an elusive mover. On Sunday, he successfully dodged two stick-up men out in the parking lot.

Wayne

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
I think he is in his late 50's Doc. Morro doesn't care for one pocket, but don't worry he can play it when he has to.

Little Al Romero also charged me some when I was down there and he is in his 70's.

Another poster asked about King Kong and Rich Grenier on here. Totally different styles and before I played this session with Bernardo I would have bet on Rich, but it would be a tough match either way. Rich might break him down with his all around solid game, but I would give Bernardo a chance.

Rich Grenier is the favorite. King Kong, Morro and Little Al would all rate about the same. King Kong would not gamble with Rich even.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
I agree with your assessment John but will add that Bernardo's one pocket game has improved over the last year. If Rich isn't playing close to his best game he might not prevail. Bernardo has more firepower, IMO. Right now I'd say he has at least 9-8 the best of it versus Little Al or Morro.

Martin

jrhendy said:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jazznpool said:
Are you serious? At gunpoint at HTB?

Sad but true Martin. You should not be shocked at this scenario. Anyone who gambles for over $20 a game has to think about things like that these days. Even in places that used to be considered super safe. Times have changed, and some of those assh--les, as they've done in the past, think that pool players are a really soft target.
My mantra has always been, leave the joint with the meanest local MFer that you can find. And hope he is not in with the bad guy's :eek:

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
jazznpool said:
Are you serious? At gunpoint at HTB?

The hold-up guys indicated they had guns (reaching into their coats) but Bernardo didn't have a chance to thoroughly check out their weaponry as he was too busy running and ducking behind cars as they chased him. After all, he worked hard for his bank roll and he wasn't about to turn it over to some two-bit thugs.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Tang played better One Pocket than any of them when he was playing. He was the best One Pocket player in SoCal this side of Parica.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
jay helfert said:
Tang played better One Pocket than any of them when he was playing. He was the best One Pocket player in SoCal this side of Parica.

You may very well be right, Jay, but I was watching Tang and Rich match up not too long ago in some cheap 1P sessions and it looked to my uneducated eyes like Rich was totally out-manipulating Tang on the table. Rich was smothering him in traps.

jay helfert

Verified Member
demonrho said:
You may very well be right, Jay, but I was watching Tang and Rich match up not too long ago in some cheap 1P sessions and it looked to my uneducated eyes like Rich was totally out-manipulating Tang on the table. Rich was smothering him in traps.

That may be the case the last few years, when Tang has concentrated on poker for his livelihood. But when Tang was playing pool regularly in the mid to late 90's and even early 2000's he beat Rich multiple times. They used to play for $50 a game and Rich just kept coming back for more. Tang beat him over and over again back then.

Tang is about three balls under his best game now, at least. He might practice cheap with Rich now and then just to try to get back in stroke. He's too smart to bet high now.