"Cornbread Red" vs. Tony Banks

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Artie,

You don't need Archer !

I will teach you my foolproof method to make EVERY ball you ever shoot at.

First, drink a half pint of Yukon Jack. Then when you get that warm glow, you shoot some heroin, then you smoke a couple of joints to mellow out.

Some people also like to do some crack cocaine. (I'm not too familiar with that drug, but I think about 4 lbs. would be about right)

By that time, you should be good to go, (or possibly broke) but you will THINK you are playing perfect pool....right Freddy ?

Dick <---does not believe in performance enhancing drugs... Look where it got A-Rod. (50 mil a year...and counting !)

PS...What was the question Dennis ???
If I miss can I get my money back? I dont want the be 20 years old again. Formula. Everything if great but the shooting part. If people want to see the difference between when the were 20 years old and 65 just shoot a jump shot at the top of the key. And you will see the difference between 20 and 65 years old.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
More Mem's

More Mem's

Cowboy Dennis said:
I forget..........

Oh, I remember, something about Red and Tony.

Well, you're pushing the nostalgia button again....Red and I both played in that event.

It was my first tournament upon retiring from UPS. Jay still has the flow chart somewhere he said.

I had only been playing a few mos., after a 20 year layoff, but I felt my game was coming around.
Neither Red nor I played very well, but I drew him on the one loss side, and knocked him out of the tournament.

Red then bet a few C's on me in my next match against Danny Medina, (who could not get staked to play me 1P in after hour action... lucky for me) and I promptly took half the bet.
I lost 4 to 1.

I used to wait for DM to get pumped up, so I could go to Denver and unload him at 1P when he was younger.
His 1P game had improved considerably during my hiatus.

Dick <---told Red I was stealing against Danny. (Never believe a pool player when he tells you that, Red should have known)

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dick,

I played Red twice in tournaments that I can remember. Both times it was 9-ball. The first time was down in Toledo, Ohio. Red, his son-in-law Steve, and I drove down there together. I had Red down 6-4 in a race to 7. He ran out game 11. Then broke and ran out game 12. In game 13 he broke and made a ball but hooked himself. He pushed out to an extremely difficult two ball combination on the side rail. I told him to shoot. He shot it 3/4 of the length of the side rail and made it and ran out.

I always thought he did that just so he did not have to explain to people how a shortstop like me could beat him.

The second time I played him, it was in a monthly local tourney. He just thankfully shot my nuts in that time. No fooling around. Maybe he was thinking of Toledo and did not want it to be that close again.

Dennis

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dick,

I played Red twice in tournaments that I can remember. Both times it was 9-ball. The first time was down in Toledo, Ohio. Red, his son-in-law Steve, and I drove down there together. I had Red down 6-4 in a race to 7. He ran out game 11. Then broke and ran out game 12. In game 13 he broke and made a ball but hooked himself. He pushed out to an extremely difficult two ball combination on the side rail. I told him to shoot. He shot it 3/4 of the length of the side rail and made it and ran out.

I always thought he did that just so he did not have to explain to people how a shortstop like me could beat him.

The second time I played him, it was in a monthly local tourney. He just thankfully shot my nuts in that time. No fooling around. Maybe he was thinking of Toledo and did not want it to be that close again.

Dennis
I remember when I went to Detroite with Dnny Modana. It Was Danny Joe Frotsy And Me. I told Danny not to go into the rack and play anybody. And Danny Said Ok. Because nobody knew him and he could win good money on the bar tables. And Danny went into the rack. And Played Cornbread Red And Danny quite Red 6 games winners on the bar table. And Cornbread Red Call him a Tocc0 M F. And when Joe Frosy and me walked into the rack. I could not belive what I seen. And The Word spread all over Det In the bars. Thier is a mexican that beat cornbread red on the bar table in the rack. And Danny wasdone. I Couldnt belive it. And From Detroite we went to Chicago. We Hustled all over the country the 4 off us mostly all bar action. And We did Ok. But I was sick over Danny Playing Red. But THats Life and You Go on to the next adventure.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I remember when I went to Detroite with Dnny Modana. It Was Danny Joe Frotsy And Me. I told Danny not to go into the rack and play anybody. And Danny Said Ok. Because nobody knew him and he could win good money on the bar tables. And Danny went into the rack. And Played Cornbread Red And Danny quite Red 6 games winners on the bar table. And Cornbread Red Call him a Tocc0 M F. And when Joe Frosy and me walked into the rack. I could not belive what I seen. And The Word spread all over Det In the bars. Thier is a mexican that beat cornbread red on the bar table in the rack. And Danny wasdone. I Couldnt belive it. And From Detroite we went to Chicago. We Hustled all over the country the 4 off us mostly all bar action. And We did Ok. But I was sick over Danny Playing Red. But THats Life and You Go on to the next adventure.

I remember back in the early 80's a great Mexican player came up to Thunderbowl Lanes in Allen Park, Mich.. I had to go to work that afternoon but I was told that he gave California John the wild 6 on the barbox up there and beat John pretty good. Maybe that was when you were there with Danny M..

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
artie did danny play red for pride? he wanted to beat the best? he must have known hed kill his action. yes?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
artie did danny play red for pride? he wanted to beat the best? he must have known hed kill his action. yes?

Danny was (maybe still is) the Phil Mickelson of pool... A million $$$ worth of talent, crammed inside a .38 cent manager.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Danny was (maybe still is) the Phil Mickelson of pool... A million $$$ worth of talent, crammed inside a .38 cent manager.
He was like a little kid. He just wanted to play. And some people you tell them not to do something . And the will do it all the more. Just like you can tell some one what the correctb shot is and the will shoot somthing different in spite. And Joe Esponose was a great profisinall fighter. And I won a good bet on Joe Boxing the golden glove champion. And Joe Fought him for 5 rounds. And I told him after the first roun If he has the nuts give me the gorge sign. And He gave me the Gorge sign And I went into my act. I will bet on the Mexican I will give anybody 6 to 5 on the money And TRhen I said I will give 7 to 5 on the money. And I pretended to be drunk. And I said Let me go broke so I can go home happy. And I layed up to 2 to 1 on joe. And Joe won. And we made a big score. And Then Frosty played a guy Gin rummy And He made a good score. And I beat everyone playing pool. One Guy Called us the recing crew. We Beat everyone whatever the wanted to gamble on. And After The fight I was still playiing drunk. And I said lets take everyone to a good restaurant to eat. And like twenty people showed up and We were bsing with everyone. And the had a bar table in thier and I said who wants to get even I will play anybody some eight ball for 500 dollares a game. And my 2 friends bet all the people on the side. We realy cleaned up. I picked the check up it cost about 25 hundred dollares. And I gave the waiter a five hundred dollaer tip. The talked about the 3 guye that came through town and cleaned up everyone. At pool cards and boxing. And My name was jimmy. And He went every were hustling the 3 of us. We even went to new Mexico. We did good playing cards and lighers poker. And Joe Esponosa was a great arm Resler. We didnt get muck pool action and jimmy Moore would even play 50 dollares a game. And I have to tell this real fast. Because Joe had the heart of a lion. We were in a bar in Chicago. On Rusch street. Jays it was wright on the corner. And Faces was wright accross the street. In the middle of the block. That was the hot bar back in those days. And Joe And this guy were going to arm wrestle for two hundred dollares. The guy was real big. And The armwristled and Joe Said Were Is my two hundred dollares. And The guy said I am not going to pay you. And Joe sucker puntched him. And the guy went down on the ground. Three guys started chasing Joe Around the Bar. It Was A circuler bar. And Joe Was running around the bar and he yelled out the guy is a queer. He tried to grab my prick. And Joe went out the door and all these guys tried to catch him. But the had no chance. He was in Great shape. He would go up into the mountains in the winter time all by himself and a rifle and a pack bag. And he would stay up in the mouintains for two weeks By himself. Thats the kind of man he is. And his Father was the Mayor of Stlouies Colorado. The were all Mexican People. But I had a great time hustling with him and Fosty. He was the kind of man you had to kill or he would keep coming.Danny knew Joe real well and his Brother. The were both real Tough Fighters. But I wish you all the best Joe. I hope Before my Journey Ends I can See you again. And we can talk about our hustling days.