Jet vs Shannon Murphy

u12armresl

Verified Member
Hi Freddy,

I believe there was a total of 9k for the 3rd and final set (a continuation of the bet of the first 2 sets. I'm not sure if it was 2 a side and 1k in the middle or what, but it was good money from what everyone said.

fred bentivegna said:
Jeez, the guy lost 2 out of 3 sets and you think his career is over. That's the first match he has lost in one year. Just for the record, Shannons backers could only come up with 2k to play ONE set. The agreement was 2 sets for 2k each. When Eddie and Jet arrived, Shannon's people could only scrape up 2k. Jets backer made too many mistakes managing. He let Jet pick the wrong table to play on, pockets were too tough for somebody coming in cold, he let SHannon bet 2 instead of 4, and because he only bet 2 he let him make the session too long. For that small money I would have made Shannon play 2 out of 3. You just cant let top players have their way in every category. Jets backer didnt consult me for anything on this one. Not even a phone call. Maybe worried I would want a gapper.
Well i certainly didnt get no gapper and he certainly lost his cheese.
Jet might not have enough road experience, but I certainly do. He would have at least had a chance if I was helping with the managing.

Beard

Maybe now both Jet and Ed will ask for a refresher course.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
2k final set. 2k total loss.

2k final set. 2k total loss.

u12armresl said:
Hi Freddy,

I believe there was a total of 9k for the 3rd and final set (a continuation of the bet of the first 2 sets. I'm not sure if it was 2 a side and 1k in the middle or what, but it was good money from what everyone said.

I just talked to Ed, and what they did was worse than I thought. They let Shannon play 2 sets for a thousand a set! The last set was doubled up for the 2k. I reemed Eddie out on the phone for 20 minutes, going over all the mistakes in managing that he did. Going into someones home court is a little more sophisticated than just walking in and taking out your cue. I made Eddie painfully aware of some of the gamesmanship advantages that a turned out road player would make sure he had going for him. I couldnt believe that he let Shannon play for 1k a set, race to 5. Jet won the 2nd set 5 to 2 by the way.
I told him the next road trip Jet makes, I am coming along.

Beard

The Milk Man

Verified Member
I believe the last set was for 9000. Each side put up 4500. Shannon's backer and I go way back and that is what he told me that night.

Shev

urbanlegend

Hi Freddy,
the story is getting a bit out of hand so let me clear a few things up. Eddie and Jet arrived and I asked if they would like to do one short race for the 2k and Jet's exact words were "we came to cincinnati for two sets so that's what we're going to do. We'll do a thousand a set race to 6-7." I told him no and so we agreed on two sets 1k per set race to 5. We also agreed on the third set for all the dough race to 6.
Shannon won 1st set 5-0 Jet won 2nd set 5-2. After 2nd set negotiations took place and the bet was raised to 4500.
I would also like to add that both eddie and jet were a class act and are welcome action here in cincinnati anytime.
I hope we can have a re-match soon, perhaps in Indy at the brickyard they have a decent diamond there. Hope to see you there.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Great to hear a report "from the stake-horse's mouth". Is this Shannon?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Baiting me?

Baiting me?

androd said:
Since you're not financially involved, you're just being a coat tail puller ? or what.?
Rod.

When are you going to have something nice to say? That's about the 5th snide, baiting remark in a row you have made to me. You aint even using the "smiley face." I have so far let them all go by. I don't know if you have noticed or not, but I have never said anything caustic or confrontational to you since we have been on this forum.

If there is some kind of problem, and I sincerely hope that there isn't, let's just get it out into the open. I'm a little extra sensitive right now since the Duck and I have reengaged, but I really resent being called a coat tail puller.

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
fred bentivegna said:
When are you going to have something nice to say? That's about the 5th snide, baiting remark in a row you have made to me. You aint even using the "smiley face." I have so far let them all go by. I don't know if you have noticed or not, but I have never said anything caustic or confrontational to you since we have been on this forum.

If there is some kind of problem, and I sincerely hope that there isn't, let's just get it out into the open. I'm a little extra sensitive right now since the Duck and I have reengaged, but I really resent being called a coat tail puller.

Beard

Freddy, I've touted your books and tapes. :) No there's no problem. :) I guess I came up somewhat before you, if my partner made a bad game I said" cut me out I have something to do". If someone was playing and my money wasn't involved, I didn't tell the rail and whoever was involved what was wrong with the game. Their were Plenty of old knockers siting on the sideline, trying to prove how smart they were, telling everyone they knew how it was going to come out and what was done wrong. The whole pool scene has changed but I still can't do it. When someone asks me how a guy plays or if they have a good game i say " if you play good you'll be fine." They've quit asking me ! ;)
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
urbanlegend said:
Hi Freddy,
the story is getting a bit out of hand so let me clear a few things up. Eddie and Jet arrived and I asked if they would like to do one short race for the 2k and Jet's exact words were "we came to cincinnati for two sets so that's what we're going to do. We'll do a thousand a set race to 6-7." I told him no and so we agreed on two sets 1k per set race to 5. We also agreed on the third set for all the dough race to 6.
Shannon won 1st set 5-0 Jet won 2nd set 5-2. After 2nd set negotiations took place and the bet was raised to 4500.
I would also like to add that both eddie and jet were a class act and are welcome action here in cincinnati anytime.
I hope we can have a re-match soon, perhaps in Indy at the brickyard they have a decent diamond there. Hope to see you there.

I don't see anything wrong in how you handled the betting, particularly in the last set. After Jet won the second set 5 to 2 one would have to believe that Jet was now the favorite. The only bad thing I can see that you guys did was forgot to win the 3rd. set.:(

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No prob

No prob

androd said:
Freddy, I've touted your books and tapes. :) No there's no problem. :) I guess I came up somewhat before you, if my partner made a bad game I said" cut me out I have something to do". If someone was playing and my money wasn't involved, I didn't tell the rail and whoever was involved what was wrong with the game. Their were Plenty of old knockers siting on the sideline, trying to prove how smart they were, telling everyone they knew how it was going to come out and what was done wrong. The whole pool scene has changed but I still can't do it. When someone asks me how a guy plays or if they have a good game i say " if you play good you'll be fine." They've quit asking me ! ;)
Rod.

Rod, all my life if somebody wanted to jump out of a window, I would raise it up for them. If I was a knocker, I wouldnt have let the game go on. I didnt like the circumstances of the match. Home court, Diamond tables, top player, didn't compute for me. You must first understand that Jet is my protege, and I am counseling him in all matters. And yes, I do have a financial interest. I have a ten percent free roll. Also, Eddie will back me for whatever game I would make if I ever decided to play. Unfortunately for me, I dont have any confidence in my game. He is also a close friend. Close or not, I never stopped him from blowing 10k backing Piggy Banks against Tony Fargo. You all know what I think about Fargo's game. I also never stopped him from blowing 5k staking Neil Jacobs against Jet a few years ago.
I owned maybe the most knock proof poolroom ever, in North Shore Billiards. I am sure Incardona, Mr 3C, Artie, and even OldSchoolPool, can attest. Knockers received one pass, and a warning. The next knock resulted in a pistol whipping from Race Track Phil, and of course they got barred. If somebody's father was going off, his son would have to sit there and take it.
Jet doesnt have extensive experience on the road. His getting beat might turn out to be a good thing. He now understands that there is more to winning on the road besides shooting good.
In a previous post (#17), I outlined all the things I would have made Ed and Jet do differently. Do you think those things might have affected the outcome?

Beard
I never mentioned in that post all the things I would have done differently either. Suffice to say I come out of the Brooklyn Pancho school when it comes to handling a hostile environment, like someone else's home court.

Last edited:

hitnandpikn

Verified Member
Hopefully this will result in some compelling match ups at Red Shoes or near by. Jet is strong and he isn't the only player. DDC here we come.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
fred bentivegna said:
Rod, all my life if somebody wanted to jump out of a window, I would raise it up for them. If I was a knocker, I wouldnt have let the game go on. I didnt like the circumstances of the match. Home court, Diamond tables, top player, didn't compute for me. You must first understand that Jet is my protege, and I am counseling him in all matters. And yes, I do have a financial interest. I have a ten percent free roll. Also, Eddie will back me for whatever game I would make if I ever decided to play. Unfortunately for me, I dont have any confidence in my game. He is also a close friend. Close or not, I never stopped him from blowing 10k backing Piggy Banks against Tony Fargo. You all know what I think about Fargo's game. I also never stopped him from blowing 5k staking Neil Jacobs against Jet a few years ago.
I owned maybe the most knock proof poolroom ever, in North Shore Billiards. I am sure Incardona, Mr 3C, Artie, and even OldSchoolPool, can attest. Knockers received one pass, and a warning. The next knock resulted in a pistol whipping from Race Track Phil, and of course they got barred. If somebody's father was going off, his son would have to sit there and take it.
Jet doesnt have extensive experience on the road. His getting beat might turn out to be a good thing. He now understands that there is more to winning on the road besides shooting good.
In a previous post (#17), I outlined all the things I would have made Ed and Jet do differently. Do you think those things might have affected the outcome?

Beard
I never mentioned in that post all the things I would have done differently either. Suffice to say I come out of the Brooklyn Pancho school when it comes to handling a hostile environment, like someone else's home court.
Sounds like you and I are on the same page. Sorry if I misunderstood. BTW it was a question in the original post, "? or what ? "
Rod.
PS, Still recommend you books and CD's. some good stuff. Everyone should treat themselves.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
admire

admire

Hey Freddie,I know what you've seen in your travels which would be about everything so I had to re-read your #17 post and was wondering,I'm hip to the money stuff/angles but how do you know about the table being wrong?Just because it was a Diamond or something more?Just curious.....thanks,Bob

urbanlegend

wincardona said:
I don't see anything wrong in how you handled the betting, particularly in the last set. After Jet won the second set 5 to 2 one would have to believe that Jet was now the favorite. The only bad thing I can see that you guys did was forgot to win the 3rd. set.:(

Not sure what u mean not winning the 3rd set? I was w/ Shannon

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
urbanlegend said:
Not sure what u mean not winning the 3rd set? I was w/ Shannon
My mistake, I thought you were with Jet. In that case you showed a lot of gamble by raising the bet for the 3rd set. I would of made Jet the favorite after showing heart and winning the second set. Especially considering he got beat 5 to 0 in the first set.

I wasn't there and don't know what happened to Jet in the 3rd. set, i'm assuming that Shannon played lights out to win.

Billy I.