The Voice Behind The Game..

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Who is pools best comontator?

Comontarors that are hall off fame players cannot answer for themselves or to this thread.

This is for everyone but the commontators. That means I can reply. No doctors allowed.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Grady, Cardone, Jimmy Wetch, Jay, JCIN on Tar, Some of the snooker guys in the UK are awesome-as good as our guys.

who sucks: Fatboy, I tried my best but its real hard.

Honerable mention: Cornbread Red did commentary on one video with Buddy and that 2.5 house are the best 2.5 house of commentary ever. Cornbread was triple strong.

But for my one top choice in America is Billy. He is my favorite. overall over long periods of time.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Grady, Billy, Danny D.

Grady and Billy Tie for first and Danny is Better than second place. Any pairing of the three is unbeatable.

They are all number one at different things.

"Dr. Moustache" thinks aloud in such a way that it rubs off on you as you play, and offers deep thinking scenarios well. He adapts his commentary well considering the players involved. Stimulates your creativity.

Grady has a very objective viewpoint, and fits great stories in there, as well as including the finer points. Lets you see how simple things stacked, are stronger than you think.

Danny really emphasizes the fact that a commentated video is a learning tool. He doesn't miss a beat, and offers plenty of pointers, balancing in a tale or two. He gets lots of pointers in there, and in each vid he seems to get equal amounts of info across that is broken down so simply a beginner can use it.

The best is a tie. My favorite commentator beat my second favorite commentator in their only recorded match. I like to think of them both as #1. But that takes away first place for Danny, which isn't fair, because he is better than number 2.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
It's no secret I think Billy is the best by far. I also enjoyed the Billy / Scott pairing last year.

I hope Billy does weigh in, because I am interested in who HE thinks is the best. He most CERTAINLY doesn't have the ego to pick himself, so I am interested, as a commentator himself, who he enjoys.:)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
It's no secret I think Billy is the best by far. I also enjoyed the Billy / Scott pairing last year.

I hope Billy does weigh in, because I am interested in who HE thinks is the best. He most CERTAINLY doesn't have the ego to pick himself, so I am interested, as a commentator himself, who he enjoys.:)

If the comontaters post the get disqualified. Because the broke the tread rule. And it cannot be ghanged. Because ut was made by the tread. So comontators use your integraty.

And sit this one out. I pick Fast Freddy the Banker off bankers. But Freddy can comontate. And he isa good talker.

Billy is a polatision. Danny Grady Fat Boy thiier all good. Denniessaid he comontated I never herd him. So can some one comente that has. And get everybody in thier that has comontated.

Im waiting too see if Dippy keeps his word. He said he would comontate a game with me. We will see what happines. Maybe John Birbank will be the lucky Fellow.

Is Dippy still on the lamb?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The amazing Billy I

The amazing Billy I

An amazing success story. I would pick Billy I. He has done extremely well with the limited pool knowledge that he has available. He was also fortunate to have me carry him on the matches that we worked together. I would write down the correct shot on a piece of paper for him so he could then say it over the air as if he had thought it up. I was always much too modest to take credit.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
Johnny Miller,ooops this Is about pool I guess. hehehe. I would have to pick the Dr. Billy I. even though he can't pronounce hard to say last names,(like this hard one)... "brum back" hahahaha (inside joke) then Grady,Danny D. In no certain order. I also like Mark Wilson.I think he has a great depth of pool knowledge. I tried It one time. I'll tell ya,It aint as easy as you might think.
But I would like to try It again on a bankpool match If I ever get the chance.
John B.

Viffer

Verified Member
dippy think bily best at every thing, dippy no oon lamb just no reason to come out. plus head hurt from last time i come up for air. LIke i said pick a player make a game bet real high.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Over the years, my most reliable favorite pairing was Billy and Grady. Between the two of them, they had it all covered: Billy for good solid pool, and Grady for creativeness and humor. I came to like Billy even more as a commentator after I had met him.

For insightful commentary, Grady and Buddy Hall couldn't be beaten. In one pocket, Buddy's only shortcoming was his tendency to suggest shooting rather than moving. I think that changed over the years as he became a top 1P player.

For insight in 1P and banks, no one is better than Freddy. His other plus is his wicked sense of humor.

Doc

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Over the years, my most reliable favorite pairing was Billy and Grady. Between the two of them, they had it all covered: Billy for good solid pool, and Grady for creativeness and humor. I came to like Billy even more as a commentator after I had met him.

For insightful commentary, Grady and Buddy Hall couldn't be beaten. In one pocket, Buddy's only shortcoming was his tendency to suggest shooting rather than moving. I think that changed over the years as he became a top 1P player.

For insight in 1P and banks, no one is better than Freddy. His other plus is his wicked sense of humor.

Doc

Ditto from me.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
You gotta admit that "fraught with peril" is a classic.. from Grady... also the one comment from the beard about Ronnie Allen and Artie "circling each other" for a couple of hours was great too...

Billy I always seems to get the shots correct way before they shoot them though...

SJDinPHX

Suspended
wgcp said:
You gotta admit that "fraught with peril" is a classic.. from Grady... also the one comment from the beard about Ronnie Allen and Artie "circling each other" for a couple of hours was great too...

Billy I always seems to get the shots correct way before they shoot them though...

Billy I. usually offers a variety of options...one of which a "good player" will eventually choose. I rate him #1, Buddy and Grady tied for second, and Danny D. a distant 3rd. JMHO

PS..Only reason is, DD plays "straight pool" one pocket...His commentary is much better at 14.1

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
for me , Billy I, Grady and Freddy are the top 1p commentators
each has their own stregths and styles as mentioned by everyone above.
i have more dvds of billy than grady than freddy commentating thats just how its worked out .
i dont buy the dvd based on who the commentator is. if billy ,grady or freddy are on it its a bonus
(except i wanted to hear bill staton and thougt he did a great job)

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
LOL, I like it when Billy and Grady argue.

I like Danny when he gets excited about a shot.

I think JoeyA does a good job as well.

Most others IMO are pretty poor.

Scott Frost, however, is improving, and I was almost to the point of enjoying his work. Scott is somewhat like Buddy though and IMO so overly aggressive that I often dont agree with his shot selection. I would never attempt most of the shots he suggests, I am just not at that speed or ability.:eek: I watch and listen so I can incorporate into my game, if possible. With Scott's suggestions, I gain little, I'm just not there.

Ken

John Brumback

Verified Member
I'm very sorry Freddie.I forgot to mention you.But I only have 1 or 2 with you on them.But I like. Im my opinion your right up there In the top handfull too.I do get a real kick out of Freddies alot of the times.Hes good at keeping It fun for sure.I guess there Is a very fine line though.And what Doc said.
John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Who is pools best comontator?

Comontarors that are hall off fame players cannot answer for themselves or to this thread.

This is for everyone but the commontators. That means I can reply. No doctors allowed.
Artie,

On all of the DVD's I own there are pairs of commentators so I will give my opinions based on the pairings followed by opinions on single commentators. These are all One-Pocket match commentators. I'm just going to speak of the top few that I have, not all of them.

1. Incardona/Grady: The absolute worst in every way. If I wanted to spend $20 to hear people argue I'd go to a bar.

2. Grady/Anybody: Grady is a pompous ass who thinks he knows more than anybody he's paired with. He's constantly using "big" words to impress his adoring legions of fans even though most of the time he is using the wrong word to describe the situation at hand. It seems to impress his gullible fans though so they call him "The Professor". I mute the sound when he's on a DVD I watch.

3. Incardona/Benny Conway: Very good together. They made the "Lottsapapa"/Mataya match watchable and enjoyable even though it should have been killed at birth.

4. Incardona/Bill Staton: Almost the best I've ever heard. They do the Hopkins/DiLiberto match from 1991 LOP that I've been posting pics from. Both are laid back and relaxed in their approach to commentating the game. They defer to one another on many occasions and clearly respect each other. That shines through.

5. Incardona/Freddy: The best ever pairing that I've had the pleasure of hearing. They both know quite a bit, respect each other and know a lot about the game also. They know what the players will usually shoot and don't talk over the shots for the most part. Interesting old stories at slow moments in a match also make it more enjoyable and these two know some OLD stories:) .

6. DiLiberto/Freddy: Burdened with the dead weight of DD, Freddy makes the Alex/Efren match from the 2008 DCC interesting and enjoyable.

7. Cornbread/Buddy Hall/Grady/Freddy: The Ervolino/Sigel match from the 1991 LOP-Philadelphia Style is co-commentated by these four guys. Red comes into the booth at the beginning of game 3 and Freddy comes into the booth at the beginning of game 8. When Freddy starts talking about AB & RA and the reasons they didn't play, it means more than anything written here by either one because it was 20 years ago when he said it.
Cornbread has a great and very funny line also when Buddy asks him if he ever played Artie.
Grady restrains himself in the presence of Cornbread and isn't his usual know-it-all self. He actually contributes to the match.
Buddy has an annoying habit in this DVD of asking Red a question and then talking over the answer while Red is speaking.
In case anyone hasn't figured it out yet, I think you should get this match and watch it. It's not only a great match but it's well commentated by all four guys for the most part.

Now for my single commentator evaluations.

Grady: I hope he never does another AccuStats one-pocket DVD match again.

Danny DiLiberto: Extemely annoying with his same old tired lines. Unless discussing frogs or WWII landing craft he should never again in life say the word "amphibious". It's not a huge surprise that a player can shoot with both hands, I've been doing it for 35 years. "Sleep-in-the street" is also worn out and old. He almost never knows the score. He doesn't know one-pocket all that well and is wrong about what to shoot quite often. Around the beginning of the game he does O.K. but in the middle and endgame he's often times lost as to the shot. He also has an adoring legion of fans that think he is a one-pocket guru. He's not.

Buddy Hall: A mostly good commentator who sometimes gets a little too corny for me. He at times talks over his cohosts and laughs way too loud and often into the microphone. He does know the game and speaks well if he feels like it. Definitely not a negative person but I wish he'd tone it down a bit.

Incardona: He makes his cohosts better with his presence. He knows the game and he speaks well. Shows respect for his cohosts. Is not shy about giving his opinion on a shot. If possible, he should find another word for "reposition" but I don't have one to suggest so what do I know?:p All in all, Bill is the single best commentator that I've heard. Because he's on many of the DVD's I have, I've heard him more than anybody else. He never annoys me unless paired with Grady.

Freddy: The same as Bill I.. He makes his cohosts better by being there. He is informative, knows a great deal about the game, doesn't talk over people or shots. He has respect for his cohosts and it shows. He lets the game speak for itself and then comments on it, much like the great baseball announcers do. The only possible weakness would be his reluctance to give his opinion on a shot in advance, before the player shoots it. Too often he doesn't do that but it's not a great fault or anything. Enjoyable to listen to and has great old stories to tell.

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Cardone, Freddy, Bill Staton or a couple of others that I've neglected to mention . These guys don't yell, argue, talk over shots, criticize incessantly, or do many of the other annoying things that many guys do. They have a "sense" of their place in the broadcast and don't act like they are in a poolroom cutting up with the guys.

That's it for my opinions of commentators.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Here's some of my views...

I like Billy, Freddy, and Grady best in the booth - they each provide top-notch knowledge/analysis, combined with personality/sense of humor and historical reference capabilities...

Buddy is not as One Pocket knowledgable, but I get a kick out of some of his personality traits in the booth - i.e. his giggle, and his dramatic vocal disbelief when somebody is going to shoot a shot that he thinks is a bad choice...:)...

Mark Wilson? - super nice guy - tremendous pool knowledge in all aspects - except One Pocket - he should not be allowed within 100 yards of a One Pocket commentary booth - all he does for the entire match is ask his booth partner what they think the player shooting should do...:rolleyes:...

And here's my two sleeper rookie picks: Jeremy Jones and Mike Davis....I heard them both do some commentary during tournament streams a couple of times, and they were both surprisingly excellent - both in knowledge, and in booth composure.

- Ghost

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Has Artie B. ever commentated a match? I would like to hear him (if he can get it all in between the shots) before I officially put in my choice. Seems like he would have great input.

But for now I'm going with Bill I. John Smidth and Mataya have some funny one liners.

Last edited: