Daulton / frost

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
shannon up 5-0 and its his shot
please excuse the overhead shot the 8 ball and head table corner pockets
are cut off because... ill tell you later;)
ss2.jpg

ss4.jpg

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
This one is very interesting , unlike many "what would you do" ? This one has many traps and many are indeed "frought with peril" .
Offensive side ... A) bank at the 14 , what to do w/ the Q ...
B) roll (what looks like the 4) ... but it has to be juiced with alot of english to travel down (complicates the shot and its accuracy)

Defensive side ... A) move the three away with the 4 ball (risky)
B) pocket the 8 ball and freeze the Q to the end rail it spots and goes into your opponents hole and doesn't go in your pocket as well as blocks what looks like the 13 from going

I said all of that to now say... im not sure what i'd do here LOL
im curious what other may select as their shot with this 5 to 0 as the score

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Above all else, I will leave the cueball on the foot rail. I can play it off either stripe near the cueball, or even off the 6 ball. If I can free up a ball so that it can see my pocket, I will. If not, that's okay, too. Going south, pal, come what may. Nothing else is even tempting.

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
I would hit the 14 with some draw, leaving a combo for Frost, just in case the 14 doesn't go.

Attachments

• Daulton  frost - OnePocket.png
    Daulton frost - OnePocket.png
    351.8 KB · Views: 0

treeMan

Verified Member
I would hit the 14 with some draw, leaving a combo for Frost, just in case the 14 doesn't go.

Ar first glance I liked that shot. But, after considering that I'm up 5-0, and Frost is shooting next, I would stay away. Misjudge the draw a little bit and you may be looking at 5-5 or worst.

So I would also go south while opening up the three balls in a line on my side. If I can't get the six to hit the stripe thats ok, but I would really like to brush the stripe with the 6.

Attachments

• sahnnon_forst.jpg
    sahnnon_forst.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0

Skin

Verified Member
It looks like Daulton can bank the green stripe over with follow and leave Frost shooting out of his hole. Nothing but the stripe near the spot goes to Daulton's hole anyway, so if Frost decides to move some balls from there it probably won't get any worse.

Skin

beatle

Verified Member
bank the 14 over into the three balls and open them some so you have your three out balls in play. draw the cue ball up against the 4 ball and leave him no shot and hooked.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I would shoot ace's shot for sure, with an emphasis on doubling him up.

I have played too conservatively (ie just dont leave him a shot) in these spots many times, and it catches up to you.

I do also like treeman's shot though. Shannon NEEDS to move those 3 balls a little.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
My first thought was Ace's shot too, but then thinking about the score...

This looks like another way to open the balls on your own side and send the cue ball down table. Especially if you use a little fuller hit, with a little more follow rather than straight carom to put a little more bump into that cluster. This shot also has the advantage of going off a ball that is nice and near the cue ball. The older I get the more helpful that becomes :D

Attachments

• Greenshot_2011-12-20_06-50-35.jpg
    Greenshot_2011-12-20_06-50-35.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Treeman (post #5) gets the cookie, for my dough...:p... Also frees up a ball or two on your side, making the end rail (foot) a little riskier, as a safety for Scott, and pretty easy to execute.

Steves shot is very workable too, but a little harder to control IMO.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ace you get a cookie from billy i.
ask him for it when you see him at the dcc:rolleyes::D
the green lines were his shot selection shooting the shot as you described
bank the stripe ,draw the cue to the head rail
the 2 solids are doubled up
ss3.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
but shannoon decided to shoot the 4 ball and try to foolow up to the foot rail
he got a double kiss with the 4 ran into the stripe and left scott a shot
you can see why i couldnt show the whole table beacause the only view made it obvious what shannon was shooting
ss10.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
heres how he left it for scott
View attachment 4829
I guess you have to be at the table to really feel whats available, but Shannons shot choice was imo a bad one. From the position of the balls, regarding the 14..4..and 15 ballls It's hard for me to believe that the 14 ball wasn't an option, and a good one.:sorry

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I guess you have to be at the table to really feel whats available, but Shannons shot choice was imo a bad one. From the position of the balls, regarding the 14..4..and 15 ballls It's hard for me to believe that the 14 ball wasn't an option, and a good one.:sorry

Billy I.
When ever your playing with a 5-0 lead you should first look to play the score, then you should look at how the balls are positioned, and then you should always consider who your playing. In this instance your ahead 5-0 and playing a ball running machine with the balls clearly favoring him. Matter of fact the 14 ball is a possible out ball for FROST if you leave him the bank on it.:eek: This is one of the rare times when you have to disregard the 5-0 lead and play to put pressure on Frost, and you do that by shooting the 14 ball (a ball that favors Frost) and double him up behind the 4 ball. That's the safest and most effective way from this position to get back to the table to protect your 5-0 lead, or possibly win the game.

Many games are lost because too much emphasis is put on a lead and not enough is put on the forecast of an ill advised shot.

Billy I.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I hate to agree...

I hate to agree...

When ever your playing with a 5-0 lead you should first look to play the score, then you should look at how the balls are positioned, and then you should always consider who your playing. In this instance your ahead 5-0 and playing a ball running machine with the balls clearly favoring him. Matter of fact the 14 ball is a possible out ball for FROST if you leave him the bank on it.:eek: This is one of the rare times when you have to disregard the 5-0 lead and play to put pressure on Frost, and you do that by shooting the 14 ball (a ball that favors Frost) and double him up behind the 4 ball. That's the safest and most effective way from this position to get back to the table to protect your 5-0 lead, or possibly win the game.

Many games are lost because too much emphasis is put on a lead and not enough is put on the forecast of an ill advised shot.

Billy I.

..but to me the 14 is obvious. It may even lie where with reverse english you can bank the 14 into that jammed up cluster on your side. That is a close call. That would be triple strong if possible.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
..but to me the 14 is obvious. It may even lie where with reverse english you can bank the 14 into that jammed up cluster on your side. That is a close call. That would be triple strong if possible.

Beard
Exactly, that would even be a better shot than shooting it toward your pocket, what's better than rearranging the position to possibly favor you instead of Frost AND DOUBLE HIM UP?

You must be able to hold your opponent when balls favor him, especially a player like Frost. You can compromise when your playing a weak player, because of their ball striking inability, but not an upper echelon player.

A large lead against a champion will always be in question when the ball position favors him, so you must respect that when playing that player.

The shot that Shannon shot was a bad shot, not only because he sold out but also because he would of left Frost a game changing bank on the 14 ball, with a built in safety.:eek:

Billy I.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Beard
I was wondering about that shot too. In all fairness to all these different smart players that are looking at these situations, a lot the nuances of what might actually be available would require getting a good "feel" for the shot right at a real table to know for sure...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bank the 14 over into the three balls and open them some so you have your three out balls in play. draw the cue ball up against the 4 ball and leave him no shot and hooked.

beatle howya doin??
you dont post much anymore
but you picked a nice shot:)