My CONGRATS to John Brumback

Shannon Daulton

Verified Member
From
Greenville, SC
Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to get back on here again. Now, that I have learned how to get around here a little bit.

I want to share a story with all of you about HALL OF FAME member, John Brumback. I met John approx. 28 years ago in my hometown of Somerset, KY. He came there looking for action just like everyone in the country did!! After a evening or two, he made a game with my dad but was a little unlucky because even in Somerset you can still get knocked. So he only got to win a couple hundred!!! By this time, I had made some calls and realized what a great player he was! He had the first Meucci Gambler cue I ever saw! I had to have this cue! After a couple hours of heckling him, I had talked him into trading it for my Mc Dermott. Little, did I know, how priceless that cue would be to me today. It was my first good cue my parents bought for me a Christmas or two before.

A few years went by before I really got out and started playing all the regional events around our tri-state area. But as soon as I did there was no doubt that John was the man to beat! He won nearly every event in that part of the country for what seemed like a decade. He pounded on me like a drum for several years!!! I was probably 16 or 17 before I ever beat him and to me it was like winning a world title! From here, a fierce rivalry began!

Now, lets skip forward about 5 years to the Q-Olympics. The year was 2006. John and I were standing around having a few drinks. I said, hey when are you gonna invite me to come to Owen Co. and deer hunt with you and your buddies? He said immeadiatly that opening morning was Sat. And then he said, you won't get out of bed for it!! So, I got his address and said I would meet him at 5am on opening morning. He may have been a little suprised when I called him at 430 and said we're here, but I cant find your house. Would you believe this guy walked out to the road and stood there with a flashlight in 20 degree weather until Marge and I found his house. Just before 9am I had a deer on the ground! I have been all over the world but I have never been treated with such genuine warmth and hospitality as I was shown by John's famillly and friends!!! This year was my 5th year up there for Johns birthday and opening gun season!! As long as I am welcome I will never miss another one! What I am really getting at is most of you only know John as a WORLD CHAMP! But I am here to tell you he is much more than that. He is a devoted father, husband, and friend that willl go out of his way to treat you like family.I cannot express what a good person to you all that he really is!!!! I am HONORED to be is friend!! There has never been anyone in my opinion that is more deserving of this hall of fame honor than Johnny B!! If any of you go to the Derby ,there's a real good chance if you see one of us ,you will probably see us both!! So, if you like good stories and good times just hang around!! Again, I would like congratulate my best bud on his HOF induction! I can't wait to the dinner where maybe I can tell a few stories and HE CAN BUY ME A BEER!!!!! Stay tuned.......

SD

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Shannon Daulton said:
Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to get back on here again. Now, that I have learned how to get around here a little bit.

I want to share a story with all of you about HALL OF FAME member, John Brumback. I met John approx. 28 years ago in my hometown of Somerset, KY. He came there looking for action just like everyone in the country did!! After a evening or two, he made a game with my dad but was a little unlucky because even in Somerset you can still get knocked. So he only got to win a couple hundred!!! By this time, I had made some calls and realized what a great player he was! He had the first Meucci Gambler cue I ever saw! I had to have this cue! After a couple hours of heckling him, I had talked him into trading it for my Mc Dermott. Little, did I know, how priceless that cue would be to me today. It was my first good cue my parents bought for me a Christmas or two before.

A few years went by before I really got out and started playing all the regional events around our tri-state area. But as soon as I did there was no doubt that John was the man to beat! He won nearly every event in that part of the country for what seemed like a decade. He pounded on me like a drum for several years!!! I was probably 16 or 17 before I ever beat him and to me it was like winning a world title! From here, a fierce rivalry began!

Now, lets skip forward about 5 years to the Q-Olympics. The year was 2006. John and I were standing around having a few drinks. I said, hey when are you gonna invite me to come to Owen Co. and deer hunt with you and your buddies? He said immeadiatly that opening morning was Sat. And then he said, you won't get out of bed for it!! So, I got his address and said I would meet him at 5am on opening morning. He may have been a little suprised when I called him at 430 and said we're here, but I cant find your house. Would you believe this guy walked out to the road and stood there with a flashlight in 20 degree weather until Marge and I found his house. Just before 9am I had a deer on the ground! I have been all over the world but I have never been treated with such genuine warmth and hospitality as I was shown by John's famillly and friends!!! This year was my 5th year up there for Johns birthday and opening gun season!! As long as I am welcome I will never miss another one! What I am really getting at is most of you only know John as a WORLD CHAMP! But I am here to tell you he is much more than that. He is a devoted father, husband, and friend that willl go out of his way to treat you like family.I cannot express what a good person to you all that he really is!!!! I am HONORED to be is friend!! There has never been anyone in my opinion that is more deserving of this hall of fame honor than Johnny B!! If any of you go to the Derby ,there's a real good chance if you see one of us ,you will probably see us both!! So, if you like good stories and good times just hang around!! Again, I would like congratulate my best bud on his HOF induction! I can't wait to the dinner where maybe I can tell a few stories and HE CAN BUY ME A BEER!!!!! Stay tuned.......

SD

Shannon,

Thats all I've heard from others, about John B... Very well written testimonial to your good friend...My congratulations to him also... Looking forward to meeting him, and seeing you again...Then YOU CAN BUY ME A DRINK...;)

Short funny story...You and I last played, (at Tommy D's joint, in Mesa, Az, about 10-12 years ago)...Right after we had donated about half our net worth to you,
me and my partner (Rick C.) and I went to a local bar to [sic] celebrate. (AKA "lick our wounds")...There was a real cute, friendly bar maid working there, and Rick was smitten...He was still grumbling over our loss to you, and all the good rolls he thought you got...but she definately perked him up a bit...His opening line to her was, "What's
your name sweetie"...She answered,..."Shannon"......The look on his face was priceless, we both cracked up...poor girl must have thought we were nuts...He's a big believer
in 'Karma'..True story !

San Jose Dick

PS..Beer John buys you at the Horseshoe =$6.00---You buy my drink (YJ) = $11.00...(you'll be stuck $5 going in)..:p

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Enjoyed reading those nice stories, Shannon. There are only a handful of guys in the entire pool world who have character, integrity, humbleness, AND tremendous talent to boot! John is at the top of that list.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Shannon Daulton said:

SD
That's a great story Shannon and I know you have many more, God did bless you with that gift of gabb and you can really lay it down.:D I also believe that John is not only a great player but a wonderful person as well. I don't personally know John nearly as well as you, but what I know of him is all good he has always been a solid player/person that has earned the respect he is finally getting, and the sad part of that is, is that he has always been a champion in both those areas all his life.:) I have always liked and admired John for both those reasons, he's a special person. Take care;)

Your business associate, and friend,
Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Enjoyed reading those nice stories, Shannon. There are only a handful of guys in the entire pool world who have character, integrity, humbleness, AND tremendous talent to boot! John is at the top of that list.

Doc
Tap,tap,tap

Trust me, i'm a doctor;)

Billy I.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Shannon Daulton said:

SD

Well......I don't know what to say or where to start? I about got choked up the first time I read all that.But after the next 10 times I'm good now.WOW!!!
What a good story for me to read this morning,Thanks!! I'm going to go through this part by part..Might take me awhile but I'm going to.First,you've outdone me again...coming on here writing like some kind of pro book writer or something,making me look bad I guess.That's ok bud. Ok..First I can't believe you can remember all that.Guess you kept a journal or diary. Ok to the part about getting knocked. I had never even heard the word before.
Well I let anybody guess who the knocker was. At the time his dad was a GOOD score if you could get him down.I mean he was playing anybody that came in the door.Well I had heard about him ( SD's Dad) That's who I was after. Well I got him down pretty easily and we started off with a good size bet.Well here comes this little, chubby, loud, cocky 11 or 12 year old kid running in the door wantin to no who I am what's my name where you from what are you bettin can I get a side bet let me see that cue where did you get that cue how much you want for that cue.on and on on he went.Whew.I should have laid it down better but I was never any good at stalling so I went all out and ran the first rack or two.That's when this 11 or 12 year old kid got on the phone and called every body he could (right in front of me too) and sure enough he found out that they were in a bad trap and knocked my game just so he could try to trap me with a huge spot of course. And I think that's how knocking got it's start. By little SD. And no he wasn't looking out for ole dad,HE wanted the game!! Asked me for like the 6 and the break something crazy like that.Think I finally gave him the 8 or something like that, wasn't much,And I could barely win like that.NICE!!!!!! Well I'm going to have to tell the rest of this story later.Thanks alot SD

Matt_24

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Well......I don't know what to say or where to start? I about got choked up the first time I read all that.But after the next 10 times I'm good now.WOW!!!
What a good story for me to read this morning,Thanks!! I'm going to go through this part by part..Might take me awhile but I'm going to.First,you've outdone me again...coming on here writing like some kind of pro book writer or something,making me look bad I guess.That's ok bud. Ok..First I can't believe you can remember all that.Guess you kept a journal or diary. Ok to the part about getting knocked. I had never even heard the word before.
Well I let anybody guess who the knocker was. At the time his dad was a GOOD score if you could get him down.I mean he was playing anybody that came in the door.Well I had heard about him ( SD's Dad) That's who I was after. Well I got him down pretty easily and we started off with a good size bet.Well here comes this little, chubby, loud, cocky 11 or 12 year old kid running in the door wantin to no who I am what's my name where you from what are you bettin can I get a side bet let me see that cue where did you get that cue how much you want for that cue.on and on on he went.Whew.I should have laid it down better but I was never any good at stalling so I went all out and ran the first rack or two.That's when this 11 or 12 year old kid got on the phone and called every body he could (right in front of me too) and sure enough he found out that they were in a bad trap and knocked my game just so he could try to trap me with a huge spot of course. And I think that's how knocking got it's start. By little SD. And no he wasn't looking out for ole dad,HE wanted the game!! Asked me for like the 6 and the break something crazy like that.Think I finally gave him the 8 or something like that, wasn't much,And I could barely win like that.NICE!!!!!! Well I'm going to have to tell the rest of this story later.Thanks alot SD

That is one of the most entertaining posts I've ever read. "Knocking" was invented by a 12 year old Shannon Daulton. Hahahaha!!

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
Playing SD or his dad....

Playing SD or his dad....

I was told that if i suited up and called Shannon's dad that i would make a few bucks playing some banks in Somerset. So i drove down to Somerset. The year was 1987. I got my new szamboti cue from the vette and went into the pool hall and called Shannon's dad and asked him if the wanted to play some banks for the cash? He said sure, give me 30 minutes and i will be there. About 1/2 an hour later this chunky little 14 year old Shannon showed up instead of his dad and offered to play me 9 ball banks for 50.00 a rack. We played, he was hard to beat back then, i had to play well to beat him, he saw he couldn't beat me, so he pulled up. I asked him 20 years later if he remembered us playing, he said sure, i don't forget. Big Jim

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
John Brumback said:
Well I let anybody guess who the knocker was. At the time his dad was a GOOD score if you could get him down.I mean he was playing anybody that came in the door.Well I had heard about him ( SD's Dad) That's who I was after. Well I got him down pretty easily and we started off with a good size bet.Well here comes this little, chubby, loud, cocky 11 or 12 year old kid running in the door wantin to no who I am what's my name where you from what are you bettin can I get a side bet let me see that cue where did you get that cue how much you want for that cue.on and on on he went.Whew.I should have laid it down better but I was never any good at stalling so I went all out and ran the first rack or two.That's when this 11 or 12 year old kid got on the phone and called every body he could (right in front of me too) and sure enough he found out that they were in a bad trap and knocked my game just so he could try to trap me with a huge spot of course. And I think that's how knocking got it's start. By little SD. And no he wasn't looking out for ole dad,HE wanted the game!! Asked me for like the 6 and the break something crazy like that.

John,
That is such a cool story! Especially how you worded his rapid fire questions all in one long sentence. It gives us a better idea of how you heard him. :D

I got a couple of photos of Shannon from the Feb 1993 Billiards Digest that shows two shots of him from 1991 when he was 19. He looked so young then.
I tried shrinking 7-8 more years of of his age and imagined a pint sized version of The Cannon running about chirping at you like you described! If, all these years later, you can still recall how you two "met", it must have really made quite an impression on you! :D

We're real fortunate that you two fellas have joined the family here. Thanks for you guys sharing them stories with us!

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Shannon,

It's nice that you and John are friends. Who better to gamble with:) ?

Dennis

That's right......If you can't can't gamble with your friends..who you gonna gamble with?

John Brumback

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Shannon,

Thats all I've heard from others, about John B... Very well written testimonial to your good friend...My congratulations to him also... Looking forward to meeting him, and seeing you again...Then YOU CAN BUY ME A DRINK...;)

Short funny story...You and I last played, (at Tommy D's joint, in Mesa, Az, about 10-12 years ago)...Right after we had donated about half our net worth to you,
me and my partner (Rick C.) and I went to a local bar to [sic] celebrate. (AKA "lick our wounds")...There was a real cute, friendly bar maid working there, and Rick was smitten...He was still grumbling over our loss to you, and all the good rolls he thought you got...but she definately perked him up a bit...His opening line to her was, "What's
your name sweetie"...She answered,..."Shannon"......The look on his face was priceless, we both cracked up...poor girl must have thought we were nuts...He's a big believer
in 'Karma'..True story !

San Jose Dick

PS..Beer John buys you at the Horseshoe =$6.00---You buy my drink (YJ) = $11.00...(you'll be stuck $5 going in)..:p

Dick,Duck Pappie? Whatever your name is. That is one funny story right there!! I got a good chuckle outta that. Can't wait to meet you! We are going to have a blast,sounds like.I hope that YK is as good as they think it is!!! John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

WOW!!! Thanks alot Doc. But you don't have to lie like that,But a BIG THANKS anyway!! I'll have to buy you a coffee,beer,coke,drink,steak,hotdog.
something! Thanks again buddy. JB

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
John Brumback said:
Dick,Duck Pappie? Whatever your name is. That is one funny story right there!! I got a good chuckle outta that. Can't wait to meet you! We are going to have a blast,sounds like.I hope that YK is as good as they think it is!!! John B.

The Giant Killer from the 60's/70's " San Jose Dick."
Some fool named him the Duck, :D and some Goose call's him Papie.:p
Rod.

John Brumback

Verified Member
wincardona said:
That's a great story Shannon and I know you have many more, God did bless you with that gift of gabb and you can really lay it down.:D I also believe that John is not only a great player but a wonderful person as well. I don't personally know John nearly as well as you, but what I know of him is all good he has always been a solid player/person that has earned the respect he is finally getting, and the sad part of that is, is that he has always been a champion in both those areas all his life.:) I have always liked and admired John for both those reasons, he's a special person. Take care;)

Your business associate, and friend,
Bill Incardona

Wow Billy I!! Thanks so much.That really means alot to me!! That SD can "really lay it down " I loved the way you worded that. He REALLY can! uh? I just Told SD,just the other day how I thought you were the smartest pool player and pool mind that I'v had the pleasure of knowing. And the BEST pool commeentator in the BIZ.I'v wanted to get to know you better for a long long time.I'd like to pick your brain about a few things, just like I know alot of people would.Oh, there's one thing I need to teach you. How to pronounce....B R U M B A C K not bromberg not brunback not brooomback It's
BRUMBACK Billy!! hehehehehe.I crack myself up sometimes. Thanks ole buddy.can't wait to see ya at the DCC.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Matt_24 said:
That is one of the most entertaining posts I've ever read. "Knocking" was invented by a 12 year old Shannon Daulton. Hahahaha!!

Is that funny or what? lol And It's the truth! thanks alot. appreciate your compliment!! I think your post is one of the best ones I have read!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Matt,John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Big Jim said:
I was told that if i suited up and called Shannon's dad that i would make a few bucks playing some banks in Somerset. So i drove down to Somerset. The year was 1987. I got my new szamboti cue from the vette and went into the pool hall and called Shannon's dad and asked him if the wanted to play some banks for the cash? He said sure, give me 30 minutes and i will be there. About 1/2 an hour later this chunky little 14 year old Shannon showed up instead of his dad and offered to play me 9 ball banks for 50.00 a rack. We played, he was hard to beat back then, i had to play well to beat him, he saw he couldn't beat me, so he pulled up. I asked him 20 years later if he remembered us playing, he said sure, i don't forget. Big Jim

Great story Big Jim!!! And no, he don't forget nothin.I can almost hear you on the phone with his dad. Neat.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Terry Ardeno said:
John,
That is such a cool story! Especially how you worded his rapid fire questions all in one long sentence. It gives us a better idea of how you heard him. :D

I got a couple of photos of Shannon from the Feb 1993 Billiards Digest that shows two shots of him from 1991 when he was 19. He looked so young then.
I tried shrinking 7-8 more years of of his age and imagined a pint sized version of The Cannon running about chirping at you like you described! If, all these years later, you can still recall how you two "met", it must have really made quite an impression on you! :D

We're real fortunate that you two fellas have joined the family here. Thanks for you guys sharing them stories with us!

Hey Terry,I was never good at remembering things from that long ago but for some reason I remember all of that like it was YESTERDAY!!! There was just something that you HAD to like about that little kid..but boy he could get under my skin alot of the times!! And " chirp" that kid could do.Thanks for bringing back those good ole memories. More to come. "sharing "THEM" stories"..I caught that. Yeah we just some hillbillys.hehehe John B.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
John Brumback said:
Wow Billy I!! Thanks so much.That really means alot to me!! That SD can "really lay it down " I loved the way you worded that. He REALLY can! uh? I just Told SD,just the other day how I thought you were the smartest pool player and pool mind that I'v had the pleasure of knowing. And the BEST pool commeentator in the BIZ.I'v wanted to get to know you better for a long long time.I'd like to pick your brain about a few things, just like I know alot of people would.Oh, there's one thing I need to teach you. How to pronounce....B R U M B A C K not bromberg not brunback not brooomback It's
BRUMBACK Billy!! hehehehehe.I crack myself up sometimes. Thanks ole buddy.can't wait to see ya at the DCC.John B.

OK John.:eek: Brumback..Brumback..Brumback..Brumback.:D

Billy I.