Modern One Pocket-some observations

bstroud

Verified Member
I have been back playing for just over a year and am finally starting to understand just how to play todays' one pocket.

The equipment is different. Tighter pockets are one thing but they don't make that much difference.

After playing with the Cyclop balls and now back to the Aramith balls it is clear that the balls are much different. The Aramith balls are softer and tend to stick together. You can see this when the cue ball rolls slowly up to an object ball. The object ball rocks and goes back against the cue ball. The Aramith balls also throw more.

In the one pocket I grew up with a good ball runner had a big advantage. Now not so much. The cloth makes it much easier to run balls so anyone can do it.

One of the shots that is most important now is to get a ball near your pocket and hide the cue ball. This didn't used to be so powerful because it was harder to run balls even on bigger pockets.

The other important shot is to play very safe and not leave any shot toward your opponents pocket. This may seem obvious today but in the past it had way less value.

Today when you have a chance to move a ball near your pocket and freeze up the cue ball behind some balls you must give the shot as much care as any tough shot at your pocket. If you don't, you have passed up a chance to win the game.

Freezing the cue ball to the rail is also extremely important. An inch or two is not good enough.

Having assimilated all this information over the last year or so I have seen my game constantly improve. On a decent table I now feel comfortable playing almost anyone for serious money.

Bill S.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have only been playing One Pocket for about 20-25 years so I cannot comment from back when you were growing up Bill, but I don't see some of the differences you comment on in my time span. The cloth, for example -- the fast Simonis cloth was already around when I started. I do see a big difference between brand new modern balls and well-used balls, but I don't think that ball technology has changed a whole lot in that period either. Low deflection shafts are fairly new, but you did not mention those.

I do agree 100% with all the "musts" you mention though -- I just think if you go back and watch some of the early 90's one Pocket videos you will hear and see the same points.

I think the biggest difference I see is the depth of knowledge everybody has about how to play the game, and it is pervasive -- even to relative new-comers to the game, like the Filipino constituency -- and mix that with the incredible pool and kicking skills that many of these new players have.

Another point that might figure into it a little is that as you know, 9-ball used to be push-out, which invited great shotmaking, but now it being one foul ball in hand, you have a much greater emphasis on safety play -- and the ensuing kicks, jumps and masse's necessary to get out of that safety play, while leaving a safety of your own. Those skills do translate to a high degree from 9-ball to One Pocket, and that has really had an impact in the last 25 years or so since Texas Express became the standard.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I think the biggest difference I see is the depth of knowledge everybody has about how to play the game, and it is pervasive -- even to relative new-comers to the game, like the Filipino constituency -- and mix that with the incredible pool and kicking skills that many of these new players have.

Another point that might figure into it a little is that as you know, 9-ball used to be push-out, which invited great shotmaking, but now it being one foul ball in hand, you have a much greater emphasis on safety play -- and the ensuing kicks, jumps and masse's necessary to get out of that safety play, while leaving a safety of your own. Those skills do translate to a high degree from 9-ball to One Pocket, and that has really had an impact in the last 25 years or so since Texas Express became the standard.

Steve....Everything you stated here is right on the money...I've said all of these same things countless times to various people...

Because of Texas Express 9ball, 9ball players nowadays, before even playing one single game of One Pocket, are already experienced and used to shooting probably 3/4ths of the safety's, snookers, and kicks used in One Pocket..that combined that with all of the accustats One Pocket videos available to watch and learn from, made the One Pocket learning curve shrink dramatically.

- Ghost

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I have been back playing for just over a year and am finally starting to understand just how to play todays' one pocket.

The equipment is different. Tighter pockets are one thing but they don't make that much difference.

After playing with the Cyclop balls and now back to the Aramith balls it is clear that the balls are much different. The Aramith balls are softer and tend to stick together. You can see this when the cue ball rolls slowly up to an object ball. The object ball rocks and goes back against the cue ball. The Aramith balls also throw more.

In the one pocket I grew up with a good ball runner had a big advantage. Now not so much. The cloth makes it much easier to run balls so anyone can do it.

One of the shots that is most important now is to get a ball near your pocket and hide the cue ball. This didn't used to be so powerful because it was harder to run balls even on bigger pockets.

The other important shot is to play very safe and not leave any shot toward your opponents pocket. This may seem obvious today but in the past it had way less value.

Today when you have a chance to move a ball near your pocket and freeze up the cue ball behind some balls you must give the shot as much care as any tough shot at your pocket. If you don't, you have passed up a chance to win the game.

Freezing the cue ball to the rail is also extremely important. An inch or two is not good enough.

Having assimilated all this information over the last year or so I have seen my game constantly improve. On a decent table I now feel comfortable playing almost anyone for serious money.

Bill S.

Bill; Artie B. from Chicago was implementing those principles 40 years ago, with GREAT success!

The table he favored, happened to be the tightest table in Bensinger's, which happen to be a GC1. He wanted a table that would slow "ball runners" down, making them think twice about shooting a flyer. He also was a MASTER at freezing the cue ball to the cushion, or at the most 1/2 inch away! There several members here that continue to insist he ONLY played on ONE table and it was tricked up, NOT SO!

Obviously, this is my opinion, but, there are many players that are still alive that can attest to his prowess at one pocket.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

bstroud

Verified Member
I have only been playing One Pocket for about 20-25 years so I cannot comment from back when you were growing up Bill, but I don't see some of the differences you comment on in my time span. The cloth, for example -- the fast Simonis cloth was already around when I started. I do see a big difference between brand new modern balls and well-used balls, but I don't think that ball technology has changed a whole lot in that period either. Low deflection shafts are fairly new, but you did not mention those.

I do agree 100% with all the "musts" you mention though -- I just think if you go back and watch some of the early 90's one Pocket videos you will hear and see the same points.

Steve,

I started playing one pocket with clay balls. It was several years before the Centennials came out. The cloth was Brunsco and was very nappy. All the tables were slow compared to today.

In 1959 the GC1 came out with tight pockets. I had one for years. Great table. One pocket then was much different than today. Eight and out was rare. Today it is common. The balls were different as many players discovered at the recent Vegas tournament.

Believe me that strategy then was much different than it is today.
Many of the shots that work today were useless then. I'm talking about 57 years ago.

What a wonderful game it is that you can play at a high level at age 72 and still learn something new every day.

Bill S.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Steve,

I started playing one pocket with clay balls. It was several years before the Centennials came out. The cloth was Brunsco and was very nappy. All the tables were slow compared to today.

In 1959 the GC1 came out with tight pockets. I had one for years. Great table. One pocket then was much different than today. Eight and out was rare. Today it is common. The balls were different as many players discovered at the recent Vegas tournament.

Believe me that strategy then was much different than it is today.
Many of the shots that work today were useless then. I'm talking about 57 years ago.

What a wonderful game it is that you can play at a high level at age 72 and still learn something new every day.

Bill S.
Yes, the conditions you describe were very different -- I completely missed the clay balls generation. I certainly played on the slow cloth, but by the time I started with One Pocket, rooms around me had switched to the Simonis.

Best game in pool for sure!!

Someone out there -- maybe you -- mentioned they thought the balls in Vegas played like Chinese balls. Well, there is a reason for that -- the Cyclops are Chinese balls -- I picked up a business card from the booth :D

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
My 2 cents on this (I've been playing one pocket less than a year and pool less than 10 years).

On top of what everyone has said already - Technology has to be an impact. The internet has soo much information available to everyone. Countless One Pocket matches available to stream and learn from the best. I can't begin to say how much I've learned so far from this website and all the different perspectives of the WWYD's.

The internet also being a good way to locate other players and when/where tournaments will be. If it wasn't for the internet I would be playing One Pocket with friends and local players, then go see a big tournament to be blown away at the Power One Pocket play of Scott Frost and Alex P.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
the take...

the take...

... on the balls requires one to understand theres 3-4 factors involved besides the balls Bill.Tables,cloth,climate,dust,grease etc etc.The main factor always to be inquired about is our age and take which changes often also.Attitude which is an intangible and the rest which is a tangible collide on an imperfect surface.How could anyone conclude this is it?I can't,can you?Perhaps......always a pleasure my friend,cheers,James

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Bill; Artie B. from Chicago was implementing those principles 40 years ago, with GREAT success!

The table he favored, happened to be the tightest table in Bensinger's, which happen to be a GC1. He wanted a table that would slow "ball runners" down, making them think twice about shooting a flyer. He also was a MASTER at freezing the cue ball to the cushion, or at the most 1/2 inch away! There several members here that continue to insist he ONLY played on ONE table and it was tricked up, NOT SO!

Obviously, this is my opinion, but, there are many players that are still alive that can attest to his prowess at one pocket.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

I played Artie a couple games yesterday on the Diamond table at his house.

Most of my shots were on the rail or close to it, or froze to a ball or both.