Best Tables To Play One Pocket

baby huey

Verified Member
I have three Diamonds, Red Label standard 4 1/2" and one GC2 4 1/4" at my pool room that we play One Pocket on. Over the years I've probably gravitated to the Diamonds more but I still like to play on Gold Crowns assuming they are at least 4 1/4". Diamonds play more consistently from room to room for sure but I still don't like the corner hooks that occur with that deep shelf. I talking accidental not purposeful corner hooks. That just doesn't happen on GC's unless the cloth is worn down considerably. How do you guys feel about the difference between the two tables?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I have three Diamonds, Red Label standard 4 1/2" and one GC2 4 1/4" at my pool room that we play One Pocket on. Over the years I've probably gravitated to the Diamonds more but I still like to play on Gold Crowns assuming they are at least 4 1/4". Diamonds play more consistently from room to room for sure but I still don't like the corner hooks that occur with that deep shelf. I talking accidental not purposeful corner hooks. That just doesn't happen on GC's unless the cloth is worn down considerably. How do you guys feel about the difference between the two tables?

Grew up on gold crowns but ever since I started playing on diamonds, I have not looked back! I am sure I can still play on a GC, but I prefer the diamond tables.

youngstown

Verified Member

My preferences:
1. Blue label Diamond
2. Gold Crown
3. Red label Diamond

I agree that the shelf is a tad to deep on the Diamonds, sometimes a cliff hanger is very difficult to play - maybe more so in 8 or 9 ball, but definitely in OP as well.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
If given the choice, I prefer the Diamond 4 1/8 pockets. I also have no problem play the GC but they need to be at least 4 1/4 pockets.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
If given the choice, I prefer the Diamond 4 1/8 pockets. I also have no problem play the GC but they need to be at least 4 1/4 pockets.

We have Gold Crown lV’s at Hard Times in the tournament room. They have Diamond rails with the Diamond pocket cut and 4 1/8 pockets. You would think with the Gold Crown shallow shelf they would play easier than a Diamond, but the opposite is true. With the shallow shelf and pocket cut smaller in the back, balls spit out and hang up much more often. They are fine for one pocket but the rotation players are not happy with them.

They will turn a little dog into a big dog.:D

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
We have Gold Crown lV’s at Hard Times in the tournament room. They have Diamond rails with the Diamond pocket cut and 4 1/8 pockets. You would think with the Gold Crown shallow shelf they would play easier than a Diamond, but the opposite is true. With the shallow shelf and pocket cut smaller in the back, balls spit out and hang up much more often. They are fine for one pocket but the rotation players are not happy with them.

We are definitely only talking 1P here. Playing rotation on tables like these will drive you to drinking, especially went its humid.

Ben

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
We just got in 4 brand new Diamond Blue Labels with 4 1/2" pockets and still have our old Olhuasens (two different rooms) tables play completely different, probably prefer the Diamonds much more consistent than the Olhausens.

Way I have been playing lately sure don't won't anything tighter.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI

Hey John, get a t-bevel and put the handle against the cushion then put the blade in the pocket against the facing, screw it tight and go check other pockets.

You'd be surprised about the difference in angles of the pocket, even on the same table.

T-bevels are only 2-5 bucks.

It just seems weird how you say they play because if you took a diamond table and cut the slate at the same depth as a gold crown for sure that diamond is going to play easier than before. That's why I think the pocket angle must be tighter for the balls to spit out.

We used to go to a place that had Connelly tables and you could NOT make a ball down the rail because the angle was so tight. If we had ball in hand and the ball was froze to the rail more than a foot from the pocket we just started banking them cause you couldn't make them straight in with any speed.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Played on gold crowns most of my life, hate Diamond tables.
rod i always knew were were on the same page.....:)
ME TOO !
jerry
red label diamonds to me are gaff tables and i would never want to play on them
this is not personal just my opinion of the table
blue label diamonds make play (stroke ) as if i am driving with the brakes on
the rails are way more lively than i am used to
anyone else feel the same or different ?

beatle

Verified Member
brunswick tables with at least 4 3/4 inch pockets. it allows you to cheat the pockets and play all kinds of position. and enables kissing balls in and many other shots that wont go on tight pockets.

plus the games go so much faster and keeps an interest in the game.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I prefer to play on Gold Crowns double or triple shimmed. I just don't like the angle of the pockets or the shelf on Diamonds. I will say this, it seems like Diamonds will stay level longer.---Smitty

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
brunswick tables with at least 4 3/4 inch pockets. it allows you to cheat the pockets and play all kinds of position. and enables kissing balls in and many other shots that wont go on tight pockets.

plus the games go so much faster and keeps an interest in the game.

Exactly. I've always believed and said this.

When I first started playing, pocket sizes were what they came from the factory, 5" pockets. Races to 11 in 9 ball would take about an hour. A game of straight pool to 100 about an hour to an hour and half.

Pool was fast and fun.

And guess what? The better players were still the better players but the weaker ones had a chance then. It made the gambling and tournament field way larger than it is now.

As pockets were made tighter and tighter the amount of people that gambled and played in tournaments just kept shrinking and shrinking and shrinking.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
If the table has six pockets and we are going to play. Flip he coin we both have to shoot the balls in the hole. The table make and model doesn’t matter. Who can adjust the fastest does.

B

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

If the table has six pockets and we are going to play. Flip he coin we both have to shoot the balls in the hole. The table make and model doesn’t matter. Who can adjust the fastest does.

B

Tap, Tap, Tap!! My man Col Bille!!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Always liked the Gold Crown tables... with the only dislike being the raised portion above the back part of the pockets which was always a bridging problem when the cb landed in the right spot...

Of course, I never played on Diamond tables, they didn’t exist back then...

It’s hard to imagine playing on the tables the Filipinos learn to play on, it’s no wonder they play so well on decent equipment... :)

beatle

Verified Member
different equipment favors different skills. so tables do make a difference.

a bad analogy might be a table 6 inches higher up. that would favor a tall person a lot. its not just about who adjusts the fastest.

tight pockets favor a totally different kind of player and strategy.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
My preference is a Rasson. They have multiple adjustments to keep the table perfect. The slate is heavier than any make of table, my GC sits in the garage, apart. The pockets are huge, not the openings, but the pockets themselves easily hold eight ballls. What I do like about the Diamond is the deep shelf. Im thinking, next time I take the rails off, Im going to extend the pockets by adding a small amount of concrete.
My self, the most important part of any table is the light. No good light, fer getaboutit.:p