CRANE vs. MATHEWS 1994

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This is from a match between Wade Crane and Grady Mathews played at the Roanoke 1P Championship in 1994. Grady has won the first two games. Grady broke the third game, and left this for Crane. Keep in mind that Crane is a right-handed player. What do you advise here? ~Doc
C-G 1.jpg

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Stretching should never mean not shooting the right shot. And if it ever does, the first thing you should do after your match is get a bridge out and practice with it for a few hours, for starters.

The 3 is the shot. I'd probably play to go into the one here. That dead combo i'd take care of later.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If Crane can win this game he will then have the break in the next game to tie the match. I like playing the 3ball, especially if I can go into the 8ball with the cue ball. Looks to me he can stretch and spin it in.The outside english will lengthen the cue ball and the cue ball should clip the 8ball. If the angle on the 3ball is too steep of one, then I would bank the 12ball into the high side of the 6ball and try to freeze the cue ball in the stack.

Tyler's shot, cutting the 3ball and going into the 1ball limits his ball running production. Imo. If the angle suggest that ...I can't clip the 8ball... then I wouldn't shoot the 3ball, I would try to develop a stronger position by banking the 12ball. Looks to me that the 8-7 combination is laying a little high, which would influence me more to bank the 12ball.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If Crane can win this game he will then have the break in the next game to tie the match. I like playing the 3ball, especially if I can go into the 8ball with the cue ball. Looks to me he can stretch and spin it in.The outside english will lengthen the cue ball and the cue ball should clip the 8ball. If the angle on the 3ball is too steep of one, then I would bank the 12ball into the high side of the 6ball and try to freeze the cue ball in the stack.

Tyler's shot, cutting the 3ball and going into the 1ball limits his ball running production. Imo. If the angle suggest that ...I can't clip the 8ball... then I wouldn't shoot the 3ball, I would try to develop a stronger position by banking the 12ball. Looks to me that the 8-7 combination is laying a little high, which would influence me more to bank the 12ball.

Dr. Bill

Here's a shot I would like to bring up for anyone who would be interested. This shot isn't available with this lay out. However, if it was I would strongly consider shooting it.

If the combination wasn't on, and the 13ball (the striped ball directly across from the cue ball) was positioned 6" lower, I would bank the 13ball into the bottom of the stack and send the cue ball into the top stripe. This shot would open up multiple balls on my side of the table, and give me the ability to protect them with the two striped balls that are on Grady's side.

I know it's a "moot point" ...just trying to add a little extra..."food for thought"

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Wade probably shot the ball left handed, because off handed, he only played very slightly below his right handed speed.
Rod.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
At first glance the 3 ball looks like the shot but... If you cut the 3 ball and try to go into the 1 ball and miss (which happens quite often on this shot after the break)you might go all the way around the table and not hit anything and you could find yourself in real trouble. If you cut the 3 ball in and try to hit the 8 ball, if y you hit the top of the 8 ball you will probably not only make a ball for your opponent but the cueball will slide up the side rail and there a good possibility of not being able to make another ball. I would bank the 12 ball into the balls underneath the stack and freeze the cueball in the stack.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
The angle doesnt look good to bank the 12 and freeze to the rack.

I would shoot the 3 and play to hit the 8. If I miss the 8 and go up table there are two balls on the side rail to play the qb off to get below the 7/8.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The angle doesnt look good to bank the 12 and freeze to the rack.

I would shoot the 3 and play to hit the 8. If I miss the 8 and go up table there are two balls on the side rail to play the qb off to get below the 7/8.

I believe this particular shot hinges on the "steepness" of the angle with the 3ball cut. If I felt that I couldn't hit the 8ball with a reasonable "med. soft speed" I would favor banking the 12ball into the balls and play cue ball. The choice with this lay out is very close between which shot is better. You must factor in the possibility of "missing" the 3ball a certain percentage of the time. Of course that percentage is less with better players. With this understanding the bank would probably be a better option for many players.

Dr. Bill

backplaying

Verified Member
I would slow roll the 3 with a little bottom to try and kill the ball and stay on the 1 and 6.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
At first glance the 3 ball looks like the shot but... If you cut the 3 ball and try to go into the 1 ball and miss (which happens quite often on this shot after the break)you might go all the way around the table and not hit anything and you could find yourself in real trouble. If you cut the 3 ball in and try to hit the 8 ball, if you hit the top of the 8 ball you will probably not only make a ball for your opponent but the cueball will slide up the side rail and there a good possibility of not being able to make another ball. I would bank the 12 ball into the balls underneath the stack and freeze the cueball in the stack.

I have finally found a way to participate in these WWYD threads...I shall just wait until someone sees the shot the exact same way I do, (as boldened) and for the same reasons...Then all I have to say, is "Ditto", and save all the typing...;).....Hacker, do not feel too fattered, (excuse me :p) flattered,...Next time Dr. Bill, (or someone else).. may be the 'honored' one..:cool:

SuperDuck <--Good job Doc, next time, maybe you could identify the cue ball for us older guys..just a thought..:p

PS..As soon as I have identified the "correct" shot, I shall PM it to Artie..Even though he won't agree, the time stamp on the PM, will prove I was not just being a copy-cat..Ingenious eh, what !..:eek: :D

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
From the way the balls are in the picture I don't see where anybody has to stretch, use the bridge, or shoot left handed. I'm 5'8" and have no problem shooting this right handed.
However if for some reason I couldn't reach it it and had to shoot it left handed or with the bridge I would just cinch it softly and then if I didn't position for another ball I would take care of those two balls near his pocket. Spinning the cue ball in this case might not be advisable.
I'm not sure if I would want to mess with those two balls when making the three ball for the fear that I might position one closer to his hole and maybe not even winding up with another decent shot at my hole. The only advantage in hitting the eight ball would be to insure that the cue ball doesn't get past the balls that are in the open for my hole. If I could get those three ball in the open I would be satisfied while being careful to always be in position to do something with those two ball near his hole.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Down 2 games to 0,

Down 2 games to 0,

I certainly would not shoot the 3 ball. I'm not sure you could hit the 8 ball at all, let alone sticking the cb there for another shot. As the hacker pointed out, you might miss everything and circumnavigate the table. I like banking the 12, with emphasis on sticking the cb in the rack. If you let him shoot the 8-7 combo, you have shit in your mess kit. :heh

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I thought Rod had a good comment about Crane's ability to shoot left handed almost as good as right handed (kind of like Buddy Hall). That may be why he did what he did. Here is his set up:

C-G 2.jpg

Using low english, he literally slammed the 3-ball into the hole, CB banked short off the rail into the 1-ball, smashed open the stack, while the 7-ball combo'd into Grady's hole. Still, he didn't have a gimme runout, but he very adeptly ran 6 more, but missed a thin cut on the 8. They then moved at each other for awhile-- Grady picking up several balls; but then Crane got a shot at his out ball and made it.

Cardone and Weenie Beenie were commentating. After Crane's warp speed whammo shot there was a stunned silence. Then Staton said he couldn't believe how well Crane made the shot at that speed.... left handed.;) I'm not going to diagram where each ball went from the stack, but Crane had put some steam on it. ~Doc

C-G 3.jpg

tylerdurden

Verified Member
He's working in reverse stud mode. Get a bunch out of play, run the ones there and you are set.... all in one inning.