2010 Bank Pool HOF Call for Nominations

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
demonrho said:
Artie B. also said Johnny was a top "after hours" banker. I do know that he beat Archer and Parica for the cash at banks when Johnny was over the hill and not in the best of health. (And, a note for those of you who are down on Chicago, Johnny told me he grew up in Fort Worth, Texas;-)
Johnny was not a off and on player like most people. Johnny was a every day player. And that puts him on top. And showes commitment and consistancey. I dont no one pool player that spent more time in playing pool then mexican Johnny.That was his whole life and thats how he supported himself. Thats a pretty good record to be number one in commiment and consistancey. And he never drove a car his whole life. And I would say that you are wright that he came from forth worth Texas. Johnny was a real pool player and it showed. Do you know anyone rlse that was thjat commited and never took off time from pool?

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Johnny was not a off and on player like most people. Johnny was a every day player. And that puts him on top. And showes commitment and consistancey. I dont no one pool player that spent more time in playing pool then mexican Johnny.That was his whole life and thats how he supported himself. Thats a pretty good record to be number one in commiment and consistancey. And he never drove a car his whole life. And I would say that you are wright that he came from forth worth Texas. Johnny was a real pool player and it showed. Do you know anyone rlse that was thjat commited and never took off time from pool?

That's right, Artie. Even though Johnny was sick and dying, he supported himself gambling every day till his very last at South Bay Billiards in L.A. and in those tough ass bars around the Airport area. Strange thing is - he died the same week that Minnesota Fats did.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I have to say the truth Mexican Johnny was a real bank pool player and a good nine ball player and a good one pocket player and a great bar player. And most off all Johnny was a winner. And I was Jonnys closest friend. Johnny could have played anyone any game and he could have won no matter who he played. Te only game Jonny couldnt play was straite pool. Johhny did nothing put play pool and hustle pool his whole life.Johnny never had a job. Jonny won about 98% off the time and all the money he won he lost playing horses. And he would not gamble with his horse money. But johnny was a winner and I dont care if he gets voted in the hall off fame in one pocket or banks. To me he is in my hall off fame. And all the players in the hall off fame in one pocket and banks were no sure winner over Johnny. And when I was a kid I took Mexican Johnny to Johnson City I told everyone thier if they give Mexican Johnny a ball playing any off these three games e will play them. One pocket banks and nine ball. And nobody thier would give him anything. I baked Mexican Johnny about 30 times and he never lost. He use to waite for me outside off Lake View High school to back him and the other students would ask me who is that tough looking guy waithing for you. And I said thats Mexican Johnny the best pool player in Chicago. And I back him playing pool. Johnny played pool his whole lifeand he won his whole life. Jonny was my friend and we stayed friends our whole life. He hustled a lot in Arizona and when he hird I was in las Vegas e came to Las Vegas to see me and I would give him a lot off money and get him compte to eat and a free room. And I never asked him for the money back. We went on the road a lot off times. But we would never tell nobody. And he beat everyone he played. And him and Bugs use to play one pocket and banks on the south side off Chicago and it was a real grudge match. And Bugs gave Johnnt one ball in banks and one ball in one pocket. I told Johnny tat I would not back him against Bugs. The action is to tough to lay two too one. And Johnny and Bugs even got into a fight but the broke it up and nothing serious happened. Johnny beat Baby face. When he was playing his best. I rate Johnny with Corn bread red and Detroite whitey.Johhy and cannonball was a colse game in one pocket. And I would make Lefty a 115 favorite over Johnny playing bank pool but in nie ball Johnny would be the favorite. Even playing Bugs nine ball Johnny could give him the 8 and nine and still be the favorite. Jonny was in the top 8 one handed player in the country. And I never seen anyone beat Johnny on a bar table. And I seen Johnny beat a player playing nine ball on the bar and he won 5 hundred dollaers And the guy pulled a gun on Johnny and Johnny would not give the money back. And he cased him all around the bad table and he couldnt catch him and Johnny ran out the door. He was lucky he didnt shoot him. And bar action was real good then. If Race track Phil or Freddy wanr ti tell the story why Johnnt left Chicago and never came back. I will let them tell you. Johnny is a real pool player and hustler and he gave his life to pool. Johny is one off the best pool players and hustlers in life. He played all games good. And he desirves to be in the hall off fame. Johnny was a champion and he was fiered just like Bugs. And he was one off the best 5 by 10 players bar players and 4 by 8 and 4and a half by nines. Nobody wanted mexican Johnnys action. And he went all over the country with a one peace cue. Raped up in newspaper on the bus going from state to state. And Johnnyn couldnt read. But he sure could play and he new how to win. Johnny came from the old school and thats all he new was pool and thats how he made his living. When all those champions had to get jobs because the couldnt make it playing pool. And thier were very few tournemets at that time. Johnny was liked by everyone and he was what a real pool player is made off. A hard core hustler and player. I will always remember Johnny and the part he gave and played in the world. Johnny to me is a all around hall off fame player. Forever AB Middler

I knew Johnny well and agree with everything you say about him, plus he was an honorable person/player who never asked for anything he didn't earn. I will always remember Mexican Johnny as a triple solid player and as a stand up guy. Yes, Johnny is a very good choice, and should be on the ballot. Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Johnny was the first guy....

Johnny was the first guy....

wincardona said:
I knew Johnny well and agree with everything you say about him, plus he was an honorable person/player who never asked for anything he didn't earn. I will always remember Mexican Johnny as a triple solid player and as a stand up guy. Yes, Johnny is a very good choice, and should be on the ballot. Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

...you played when you came into Bensingers from Pitts for the first time. You played on the old table 20. I forgot who, if anybody won. You two played 9 ball and you were wearing a dago T.

Beard
Amazing the goofy shit you remember.

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
fred bentivegna said:
...you played when you came into Bensingers from Pitts for the first time. You played on the old table 20. I forgot who, if anybody won. You two played 9 ball and you were wearing a dago T.

Beard

What's a dago T? Is it the same as an Italian smoking jacket(white T-shirt)?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fred bentivegna said:

Beard
more or less what year was that??? what was billys reputation at that time???
how bad a trap was table 20???

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
Adago tea shirt was a white tea shirt with two little straps. I almos t got in a serious figt at town and country when I hade fun off Johhy Abrooso wering the teasirt. And I won the pool game but I had no chance in a fight. And table 20 in Bensingers was a joke. I would have let Shanne play anybody and spot them the 6 7 8 9 and he gers the bracke and we was a mortele lock to win. He could ave even given Eferine that spot. Because thats how easy the table was and he would ave made a ball or2 or 3 balls on the breack every time. If Billy would have played Eferine on that table just getting the breack Eferine would not have had a chance. Table 20 was the easiest 4and a alf pool table I ever seen and played on in my life.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Table 20 was a sewer

Table 20 was a sewer

lll said:

The year was 62,63, or 64. Billy was the latest on-the-road hot-shot. While all the other tables were tough and tougher, table 20 had 5 1/2 in pockets. At the time, it was the only 4 1/2 x 9 table in the main room. There was another one in the tourn room just about as easy. That one was replaced with the infamous, tough pocket Gold Crown, table 24.
Table 20 was the table Canadian Pete played Jimmy Rempe to a 9 ball draw around the same time. John The Greek woke Pete up from off the bench, gave him one $20 barrel and told him to try his best. After about an hour Rempe made this quote to me,"Who the f*ck is this guy?"

Beard

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
The year was 62,63, or 64. Billy was the latest on-the-road hot-shot. While all the other tables were tough and tougher, table 20 had 5 1/2 in pockets. At the time, it was the only 4 1/2 x 9 table in the main room. There was another one in the tourn room just about as easy. That one was replaced with the infamous, tough pocket Gold Crown, table 24.
Table 20 was the table Canadian Pete played Jimmy Rempe to a 9 ball draw around the same time. John The Greek woke Pete up from off the bench, gave him one $20 barrel and told him to try his best. After about an hour Rempe made this quote to me,"Who the f*ck is this guy?"

Beard
Billys reaputation was always being a straight pures shooter. And he was one off the straightest shooters ever in pool. Billy had great fundamentals and had a great stroke and played very good position. Witch he never realy got credit for. And Billy studied and realy took nine ball serious. He loved nine ball and he wpuld practice and play tell he could execute what he needed to do and he would keep practicing tell e learned it. Billy was very dedicated and he had that burning desire ro stick with it tell he could do it. And with rhe ability he had witch was way above the other players Billy became one off the best nine ball players in life. And Billy has a great mind for pool and gambling. I put him in the top 10 as a gambler. And he loves to gamble and Billy is the best action player out thier today. And If we wernt good friends. I wouldnt want to gamble with nobody bit Billy. And e does not have a quiting bone in his body. And he will not just shoot one or two barells at you. He has a lot off staying power and he loves action and he is not adraid to bet and loose his money. And wright now today Billy is the best person tpp gamble with. And he will bet high money does not scare him. And he knowes money is only good for action. And by what I have seen Billy is te rasrast man to match up with. And his back and shooting is no were near what it use to be. He is a true war horse but his game has droped and he is not the player he use to be. And Billy is one off the best talkers ever in life. And he loves it. He will go into complete detail and explains it very thougouly. And he has one off the greatest attitudes and personalitys off anybody and he is funny and has a great sense off houmer. Billy would have been a great intertainer because of his natuarl personality. And everything comes natuaral wit Billy ite real and not made up. Billt is very unique and one off a kind. Enjoy his sense off houmor and his wite whille you still have the chance. And as fas as comintating e mite be number one. And I respect Billy and who he is. Billy belongs wright thier with the Pittsburg Steeler. Billy would rather gamble then eat. Have a long and exciting journey in your golden years. You are one off the people who helped make pool wat it is today. You can be proud off you acheaments and accomplishments. And you helprd make pool what it is today.

dmyroncox

Verified Member
From
louisville kentucky
Bob Bowles

Bob Bowles

Bob Bowles, a player of great skill, and a great banker. He belongs in the same sentence as Truman , and Vernon. During the 60’s these three were at the top of the heap of bank players in this state. There is no doubt, Bob could play bank. He played great bank pool in the 60’s and he was in his 60’s at the time. He was playing great clear up to his death in 1972. I guess he probably played even better in the 50’s.
Bob would play around town here, 26 and main, 34 and market, and Gargottos on Jeffeson st.
There are several local players here that were around when Bob was alive, and several who would play Bob. One in particular is Jim. Jim got out of the service in 1961 and came back to Louisville. Jim and Bowles would play 2 to 3 times a week for about 5 years. He would play Bob for a beer, and if Bob ran out he would get two beers. As Jim says there were so many times he ran 8 and out he can’t remember all of them. Bob also ran 15 and out two times on him. He was a gentlemen and a good teacher, he taught Jim to play bank pool and Jim still at 71 plays very good. Playing those cheap games gave everyone who wanted to play a chance, gave others a chance to learn from him, which has to be commended.
He also has seen him play for 200.00 a game, and one time Mexican Johnny came to town and played him for 300.00 a game at 26 and main. Mexican Johnny lasted 3 games and pulled up. Bob also played Eddie Taylor at Gargottos and Taylor told the story that Bowles beat him there. These are just a few. So to say he didn’t gamble doesn’t hold any water.
And perhaps the best bank pool player ever, Eddie Taylor said many times, Bowles was the best, and one time talking to Jim, Taylor said “if grandma (Bowles wife) would have let him he would have taken Bob on the road and by the time they back they would have been millionaires.”
Truman and Bowles played and split Truman won once and Bowles won once.
Bob has all the criteria mastered, he was a great player, he would play against the best, and he taught many players around here to play bank. Ok, he was a local player, who would not travel; he was working man and had a full time job and a family. Just thinking, there were others who wouldn’t travel and only played one place. Ok he played cheap, there is nothing wrong with that, he liked to play and no one would play him otherwise, he gave the player a chance to play. Without that I wouldn’t have a great player and great friend to teach me now. So, I must thank Bob myself for without him I would not have those skills he passed down. He is in my hall of fame and should be in this one.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My source

My source

dmyroncox said:
Bob Bowles, a player of great skill, and a great banker. He belongs in the same sentence as Truman , and Vernon. During the 60’s these three were at the top of the heap of bank players in this state. There is no doubt, Bob could play bank. He played great bank pool in the 60’s and he was in his 60’s at the time. He was playing great clear up to his death in 1972. I guess he probably played even better in the 50’s.
Bob would play around town here, 26 and main, 34 and market, and Gargottos on Jeffeson st.
There are several local players here that were around when Bob was alive, and several who would play Bob. One in particular is Jim. Jim got out of the service in 1961 and came back to Louisville. Jim and Bowles would play 2 to 3 times a week for about 5 years. He would play Bob for a beer, and if Bob ran out he would get two beers. As Jim says there were so many times he ran 8 and out he can’t remember all of them. Bob also ran 15 and out two times on him. He was a gentlemen and a good teacher, he taught Jim to play bank pool and Jim still at 71 plays very good. Playing those cheap games gave everyone who wanted to play a chance, gave others a chance to learn from him, which has to be commended.
He also has seen him play for 200.00 a game, and one time Mexican Johnny came to town and played him for 300.00 a game at 26 and main. Mexican Johnny lasted 3 games and pulled up. Bob also played Eddie Taylor at Gargottos and Taylor told the story that Bowles beat him there. These are just a few. So to say he didn’t gamble doesn’t hold any water.
And perhaps the best bank pool player ever, Eddie Taylor said many times, Bowles was the best, and one time talking to Jim, Taylor said “if grandma (Bowles wife) would have let him he would have taken Bob on the road and by the time they back they would have been millionaires.”
Truman and Bowles played and split Truman won once and Bowles won once.
Bob has all the criteria mastered, he was a great player, he would play against the best, and he taught many players around here to play bank. Ok, he was a local player, who would not travel; he was working man and had a full time job and a family. Just thinking, there were others who wouldn’t travel and only played one place. Ok he played cheap, there is nothing wrong with that, he liked to play and no one would play him otherwise, he gave the player a chance to play. Without that I wouldn’t have a great player and great friend to teach me now. So, I must thank Bob myself for without him I would not have those skills he passed down. He is in my hall of fame and should be in this one.

The only source I had for Bob Bowles was Eddie Taylor. I asked him who was the toughest player he ever faced playing bank, and he said Bob Bowles. But he did say they usually only played for $5.

Beard

Probably worth a nomination on legend alone

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
dmyroncox said:
Ok, he was a local player, who would not travel; he was working man and had a full time job and a family. Just thinking, there were others who wouldn’t travel and only played one place. Ok he played cheap, there is nothing wrong with that, he liked to play and no one would play him otherwise, he gave the player a chance to play.
He sounds like a great guy to have been around and to learn from, we all know many like that. If we included every cheap player & great teacher and fine friend that we all knew through the years there wouldn't be room on the wall for all of the Hall Of Fame plaques.

He's in your Hall Of Fame and that's what's important.

Dennis

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
hi

hi

The first thing i will say is Mexican Johnny owed a pretty bad guy money that actually was a good friend of mine and decided to leave town before he got hurt . Artie left you wondering so I answered .

I believe Johnny belongs in the Hall Of Fame because he feared no one and could beat anyone !! Nobody robbed Johnny in all the years I seen him play !! Bugs was giving guys all over the country 2 balls back then , but Johnny only got one ball in both games !!

Johnny was also the hardest working poolplayer ever in Chicago from poolroom to bars it was a 24 hour a day job for him .

Johnny had class too !! I remember he would come in a bar where I was taking care of the action and not put his quarter up and leave !!

Total class + maybe a little fear too about the repercussions back then .

I think I have read the facts about Johnny and they are TRUE !!

He gets my vote !!! YES i'm bias !! But also correct in my pick .

I can't help that Chicago has had great bankers !! The list is LONG .

The proof is simple NO one can name a player who came to Chicago and left with the cash playing banks back then .

You could say the same about one pocket with BUGS and ARTIE .

RTP

PS I naturally want a fellow horseplayer in too !!

I would robbed him betting horses , but not pool !

jay helfert

Verified Member
One guy who hasn't been mentioned yet, but was the equal of most of this crew is James "Youngblood" Brown. He was a Bank Pool genius, and in his youth, only his "uncle" Cannonball could beat him. I personally watched Youngblood burn Mexican Johnny down at the Golden Cue in El Monte, back in the late 70's or early 80's. A long time ago.

I also would vote for Kenny Romberg, who was a great undercover player. One other player who should be mentioned (he may already be in the HOF for One Pocket) is Jimmy Fusco. Nick and Buddy didn't have to like playing Banks with him. In fact, nobody did. I remember sitting in the stands in Dayton, a row behind Eddie Taylor, watching Jimmy play Banks. Taylor kept saying quietly to the guy next to him, "Nice, very nice" as Jimmy fired in banks from off the end rail. Eddie was impressed with Jimmy, that much I could tell.

That's my two cents.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
jay helfert said:
One guy who hasn't been mentioned yet, but was the equal of most of this crew is James "Youngblood" Brown. He was a Bank Pool genius, and in his youth, only his "uncle" Cannonball could beat him. I personally watched Youngblood burn Mexican Johnny down at the Golden Cue in El Monte, back in the late 70's or early 80's. A long time ago.

I also would vote for Kenny Romberg, who was a great undercover player. One other player who should be mentioned (he may already be in the HOF for One Pocket) is Jimmy Fusco. Nick and Buddy didn't have to like playing Banks with him. In fact, nobody did. I remember sitting in the stands in Dayton, a row behind Eddie Taylor, watching Jimmy play Banks. Taylor kept saying quietly to the guy next to him, "Nice, very nice" as Jimmy fired in banks from off the end rail. Eddie was impressed with Jimmy, that much I could tell.

That's my two cents.
Young Blood would go on the rode with preacher red. And tey huslrd all over. But Youn blood was too cokie and wanted recignition being a top player. He was not a real hustler . But a very good player. And he even had women backing him. When he came to Chicago and he was hot on Bugs trail too beat him. And he told Bugs he was going to beat him. The played a match to 100 or 150 banks. And poor young Blod got anialated. I mean he got beat real bad. But that was because off Bugs. And after he got beat he was a lote less cockier. But he was a great caracter. And had a very friendly and likeable personality. If I would compaire him with anpther player. It would be Louie Roberts. They didnt care who tey were the just wanted action and wanted to play. And the would play anybody. Even if they were the champion off the world. Banks was his best game. I use to gp to the basketball games with him. And he would ask me who do you like and I said the NIcks are 7 points favorite against the Bulls and he said he likes the nicks. And I said how much do you want too bet. He said 5 hundred dollaers and I said ok. Little did he no the Bulls were 7 points favorite. BUt too him it didnt matter as long as he got the team he liked. But he was always in some kind off acrion. And He was as cockie as louie Roberts and he was a real nice guy too play with. And sometimes its no good to have too much heart. Because it can realy cost you and Louie and James Brown would play tell they had no more money. If preacher red was still around he would have lots off storeies about him. He told me a bunch but time has made me forget them. Sometimes I get a flash back and remember some off them. But if I stop and think about it I cant remember. But we got along real good. But he was a good action man.