Grinding and dress code/2 contrasts buffalo vs mih

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
dress code is the easiest
i personally like the vested look in MIH as an image for pool for any streamed event
your thoughts??
MIH seems to have many quick 8 n outs
buffalos there were more uptable games it seems to me
do you agree??
reason??
table toughness??

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
dress code is the easiest
i personally like the vested look in MIH as an image for pool for any streamed event
your thoughts??
MIH seems to have many quick 8 n outs
buffalos there were more uptable games it seems to me
do you agree??
reason??
table toughness??

Larry

I didn't get to see the Buffalo's tournament you referenced. But, the most obvious difference to me would be the format. I think this round robin format "garantees" more play and table time without elimination. These guys for the most part think of themselves as offensive players capable of running out and so they try every opportunity. None of them want to play a lot of long drawn out games, except maybe JJ.

JMHO

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i didn't see buffalo tourney either.

but i'm all for seeing some kind of a sensible dress code in major 1p events. (those that don't understand that, never will.....:frus:sorry)

;):)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Larry

I didn't get to see the Buffalo's tournament you referenced. But, the most obvious difference to me would be the format. I think this round robin format "garantees" more play and table time without elimination. These guys for the most part think of themselves as offensive players capable of running out and so they try every opportunity. None of them want to play a lot of long drawn out games, except maybe JJ.

JMHO

Eggzakally,

Staying on the winners side in a normal tournament format is crucial to making a large payday, here, not so much... Everyone gets to play the same amount of matches, I get the feeling it's more of a gunslinger mentality in these round robin tournaments, kinda like they want to show each other how fast they can draw and how straight they can shoot, not so much how well they can move and trap, although they do exhibit their abilities in that arena also when offense is totally out of the question. Not exactly like, but akin to all star games where individual talents are on display more so than total game strategy.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

but i'm all for seeing some kind of a sensible dress code in major 1p events. (those that don't understand that, never will.....:frus:sorry);):)
Dustin, I agree. Tuxedo dress attire is a little much, especially since evening clothes are hardly ever worn anymore, except at expensive weddings.

But professional looking garb would only require a nice polo-type shirt or other modest collared shirt; with decent belted slacks (no jeans) and shoes.

I notice at the DCC and elsewhere, the European players always show up professionally dressed. After hours, everybody dresses down. Who cares? But for a respectable tournament that's being streamed, or other pro-type event, the guys ought to look sharp.

~Doc

unoperro

Verified Member
I try and always wear a collared shirt and slacks for any trnmnt

Wear my GOT WOOD ? , or my I'm no gynecologist but I would have a look shirts for league night.

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
Jeff hit the nail on the head. I think it is like an NBA All Star Game. Hence we see the very best guys playing wide open. Additionally, the stakes are rather small and there is no elimination...round robin. Go double elimination, race to 5 on W side/race to 3 L side, winner take all, and we see a different game.

I saw both tournaments, plus all the fight nights etc. The players look nice in the MIH. It would benefit them and the game to always look sharp. I think Shane's black on black is great and professional. Beyond us hard core pool fans, it is tough to develop an audience, expand interest and get sponsors with guys looking like they did at Buffalo's.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
The Lonestar Billiards Tour has several events yearly at Bogies as well as the Space City Open run by the same person. They have a rule that players must wear a collared shirt and not wear sandals. It's stated so on the flyer.

Yet when a big name player comes and wears T-shirt and sandals and it was brought to their attention, nothing was done about it.

They only enforce the standard against us no-name players because the want the name player in the tournament.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
The Lonestar Billiards Tour has several events yearly at Bogies as well as the Space City Open run by the same person. They have a rule that players must wear a collared shirt and not wear sandals. It's stated so on the flyer.

Yet when a big name player comes and wears T-shirt and sandals and it was brought to their attention, nothing was done about it.

They only enforce the standard against us no-name players because the want the name player in the tournament.

Bull Durham.... "When you get to the show you can wear shower shoes". Crash Davis talking to Ebbie Calvin "Newk" Laloosh about his funky mold encrusted shower shoes... :)

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO

but i'm all for seeing some kind of a sensible dress code in major 1p events. (those that don't understand that, never will.....:frus:sorry)

;):)

By "sensible dress code", do you mean sweat pants, an "affliction" t-shirt, and brand new Nike sneakers that cost more than the sweatpants and shirt combined? If so, then I agree with you 100% :D

kollegedave