One Pocket - is Tony the GOAT?

beatle

Verified Member
no, in the top level getting out is the game. consistency will just not cut it there.

in any level playing the particular shot that gives you the best chance of winning the game is always the best shot choice.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
no, in the top level getting out is the game. consistency will just not cut it there.

in any level playing the particular shot that gives you the best chance of winning the game is always the best shot choice.
...and sometimes, your best chance to win the game is a seemingly "reckless" shot.

Unfortunately for some of us, it seems those seemingly reckless shots are also our best chance to lose the game, since it turns out they truly are reckless, not just seemingly reckless lol. For me it seems like it often just that one damn ball, that misbehaves -- doubling back to my opponent's side, or getting kissed and staying near their hole, or leaving a window for my opponent's gamer bank... you know them I am sure.

But Tony -- and Scott Frost at times -- do really take it to another level. It is incredible to watch when it works!!

beatle

Verified Member
and against a better player you are an underdog so taking a shot that may be a slight underdog to make but opens the table so you can win is the correct shot.

but of course taking a shot that isnt likely to go is rarely ever right.

against a player that moves better than you playing a tight conservative game is far worse than opening the balls and shooting. and visa versa if you move better than him.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have played some of the best players in the world over the years and look at it this way. There is not one thing I do better than them, so I have to take any reasonable opportunity that come up that might let me win the game. That means being more aggressive than someone that plays around my own speed.

I will add that this has not worked out too well for me so far.:lol

I played T-Rex years ago when I was giving him weight. In about a year or so it went from giving 9/7 to getting 9/7 and not liking it. He is certainly one of the top players today, but the GOAT has to be Efren IMO.

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
One Pocket - is Tony the GOAT?

I think we have to give Tony a pass on his picture not hanging in the rafters at DCC. He was away from the game for about eight years and just started back about two years ago. For those who think his game is not Par Exe-lance give it time. Clearly he does not strike the ball as well as Dennis and Alex but he's in the mix. His high light reel is pretty good stuff.

Ok, in that case he’s the GOAT...🤣