Question on a spot adjustment?

boradriver

Verified Member
I was playing another local guy last night some cheap 1p and we started playing even. I win the first 4 games and now he wants a spot. He tells me he wants to play 8-6 which I agree to and he then wins the next 5 games. I now down one game ask to adjust to 8-7. He didn't think that it was fair and I should continue to play 8-6. My thinking is he adjusted 2 balls after losing 4 games and I now lose 5 games and want a 1 ball adjustment.

This to me seems fair or am I wrong?

After I told him I was quiting he gave me the adjustment and I won the next 5 games and he wanted to adjust again which I did back to 8-6. The seesaw battle continued and he got back to even just as the room was closing for the night.

He wants to play again but wants us to lockup 8-6 which I won't do. He won all the games at 8-6 and I won all the games at 8-7. I want to play 10-8 is that not a fair adjustment? He is still getting the 2 balls alls we are doing is extending the race.

Thanks

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
boradriver said:
He wants to play again but wants us to lockup 8-6 which I won't do. He won all the games at 8-6 and I won all the games at 8-7. I want to play 10-8 is that not a fair adjustment? He is still getting the 2 balls alls we are doing is extending the race.

Thanks

Since he won all the games at 8-6 and you won all the games at 8-7... An option that seems fair to me, is that you both agree to play 8 games (breaks evenly divided at 4 each) - 4 games at 8-7 and 4 games at 8-6.

- Ghost

boradriver

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Since he won all the games at 8-6 and you won all the games at 8-7... An option that seems fair to me, is that you both agree to play 8 games (breaks evenly divided at 4 each) - 4 games at 8-7 and 4 games at 8-6.

- Ghost

Thats basically what I want to do at first just adjust back and forth but he says 8-7 is not right and won't play that. I feel 8-6 is not right and won't lock that up so we just may agree to disagree and not play.

So you don't think 10-8 is a good adjustment?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
10-8m or 9-7 is a good adjust ment . try 8-6 YOU break . he beat you on your break before but 8-5 getting thebreak should be worth 8-7 to me . what do you guys think about that?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
boradriver said:
Thats basically what I want to do at first just adjust back and forth but he says 8-7 is not right and won't play that. I feel 8-6 is not right and won't lock that up so we just may agree to disagree and not play.

So you don't think 10-8 is a good adjustment?

I think 10-8 is a good adjustment - it's not much different than 8-7.

- Ghost

PS, Don't forget to paypal me my snap after you win....:)

beatle

Verified Member
that few games played who knows exactly what you should spot. all you can do is feel how you stand on the spots. then decide what to give him. if he doesnt play so what, the game is close it seems. never start adjusting so quickly and only one ball at a time at a different day. changing mid game just puts you in the spot you are in. plus you didnt get the chance for him to be a stuck sucker and empty out.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
beatle said:
that few games played who knows exactly what you should spot. all you can do is feel how you stand on the spots. then decide what to give him. if he doesnt play so what, the game is close it seems. never start adjusting so quickly and only one ball at a time at a different day. changing mid game just puts you in the spot you are in. plus you didnt get the chance for him to be a stuck sucker and empty out.

I'm sure I could easily give the Ghost 10/8...however, unless we wagered over $40...8/6 may be a tough game for me...:rolleyes:

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Dick, are you talking about a battle on the on the WEI table? Surely you jest. From what I gather, the ghost is rarely toast. :D

Martin

SJDinPHX said:
I'm sure I could easily give the Ghost 10/8...however, unless we wagered over $40...8/6 may be a tough game for me...:rolleyes:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
boradriver said:
I was playing another local guy last night some cheap 1p and we started playing even. I win the first 4 games and now he wants a spot. He tells me he wants to play 8-6 which I agree to and he then wins the next 5 games. I now down one game ask to adjust to 8-7. He didn't think that it was fair and I should continue to play 8-6. My thinking is he adjusted 2 balls after losing 4 games and I now lose 5 games and want a 1 ball adjustment.

This to me seems fair or am I wrong?

After I told him I was quiting he gave me the adjustment and I won the next 5 games and he wanted to adjust again which I did back to 8-6. The seesaw battle continued and he got back to even just as the room was closing for the night.

Thanks

You both obviously want to just keep playing and will keep changing the game so that you both break even. When you want to get serious about it you will both raise the bet, one man will win, and you won't play again for a while.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jazznpool said:
Dick, are you talking about a battle on the on the WEI table? Surely you jest. From what I gather, the ghost is rarely toast. :D

Martin

Martin,

I am only kidding...actually the Ghost could easily give me 8/6, the hit and the pick. But I am trying to be macho man.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
boradriver said:
10-8 is probably your game. However, if when you gave him 8-7, you won the games by a wide margin, then you might try 9-7 first. See how y'all do with 10-8. That puts 2 or 3 more balls into play, in comparison to your prior spots; so it might even out the scoring. Let us know how it comes out.

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Match it up.

Match it up.

How could the game be any more even, than 8/6 on your break and 8/7 on his break ? 10/8 may be more or less than 8/7 depending on the level of the players.
Rod.

Skin

Verified Member
I personally would look at this situation as an opportunity to trap the guy with his own spot. I can't be losing by much at 8-6 if I have the nuts at 8-7. So, I would figure out a way to make it tougher on him so I could get there giving 8-6. Then, I would jack the bet from cheap by the game to expensive by the set (race to 4 or 5). All I'd need to do is win by one game.

Skin

Last edited:

senor

Verified Member
Skin said:
I personally would look at this situation as an opportunity to trap the guy with his own spot. I can't be losing by much at 8-6 if I have the nuts at 8-7.

Skin

Skin,

Sometimes what seems like the slightest adjustment can make all the difference in the world between eating sushi or a McFish Filet sandwich.

I played Gabe more times than I care to remember. He's a tough nut to crack. The first couple of times I played him he gave me 9-7 / 8-7. Over two sessions I ended up winner. I like going to 7 :) We adjusted the spot to 9-7 / 10-8. I went to 7 on my break and 8 on his break. That game right there and my failure to realize the severity of the adjustment made is the reason I'm loser playing Gabe. I never won at that game, but it wasn't for lack of trying. After more stalling than I care for by Gabe, he finally agreed to the slightest of adjustments...he agreed that I could have 10-8 on my break and 9-7 on his break. I robbed him at this game. Too bad it was just one session. We played once more 9-7 / 10-8 and he won.

Those small adjustments might not mean too much against the weaker players, but it could mean a whole lot with strong players involved.

Skin

Verified Member
senor said:
Skin,

Sometimes what seems like the slightest adjustment can make all the difference in the world between eating sushi or a McFish Filet sandwich.

I played Gabe more times than I care to remember. He's a tough nut to crack. The first couple of times I played him he gave me 9-7 / 8-7. Over two sessions I ended up winner. I like going to 7 :) We adjusted the spot to 9-7 / 10-8. I went to 7 on my break and 8 on his break. That game right there and my failure to realize the severity of the adjustment made is the reason I'm loser playing Gabe. I never won at that game, but it wasn't for lack of trying. After more stalling than I care for by Gabe, he finally agreed to the slightest of adjustments...he agreed that I could have 10-8 on my break and 9-7 on his break. I robbed him at this game. Too bad it was just one session. We played once more 9-7 / 10-8 and he won.

Those small adjustments might not mean too much against the weaker players, but it could mean a whole lot with strong players involved.

Thanks for the insights, senor. Notes taken and filed. It sounds like with the 9/7 10/8 game Gabe was sewing up the win on his serve and figuring he could break your serve occasionally with you going to 7. Interesting.

In the present situation, how would you explain the original poster being able to break his opponent's serve every time giving up 8/7 but being unable to win on his own break any time giving up 8/6? Doesn't that seem a bit peculiar? It makes me think there is a strategy adjustment that the op could make in order to win on his break giving up 8/6 and, by the same strategy, break his opponent's serve peridocially to come up winner. Your thoughts?

Skin

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
Thanks for the insights, senor. Notes taken and filed. It sounds like with the 9/7 10/8 game Gabe was sewing up the win on his serve and figuring he could break your serve occasionally with you going to 7. Interesting.

In the present situation, how would you explain the original poster being able to break his opponent's serve every time giving up 8/7 but being unable to win on his own break any time giving up 8/6? Doesn't that seem a bit peculiar? It makes me think there is a stratgey adjustment that the op could make in order to win on his break giving up 8/6 and, by the same strategy, break his opponent's serve peridocially to come up winner. Your thoughts?

Skin

Skin, you're probably correct. One of these guys can more than likely win on the others game, we don't know who. Here is where the mental aspect comes to the game ,if you have a reasonable game and think you can win you'll surley win some until proven wrong. If you think the game is no good you'll have a very hard time, but if you're not scared you'll still win some. I agree with Senors analyis of close games,( I've had more than a few) but that's probably not the case here. Your stratgy would likely work for one of these players.
Rod.