Records?

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
I was fortunate enough to win four world titles but those difficult acchievements aren't recognized or listed by the BCA or any trade mags in their Almanac sections.
Jersey Red, Bugs, Ronnie Allen and I will probably never get inducted into the BCA HOF, yet they have guys with awfully questionable credentials in there. Maybe this terrific site will, if nothing else, educate pool lovers about some marvelous past champions.
I recently sent a proposal to the UPA, offering to consider sanctioning my future events. But I insisted that if I did, One Pocket, Bank Pool and Straight Pool had to receive the same rankings points as 9 Ball.They declined, which, really, I expected. But then I began to think about my proposal and my blood began to boil a bit. Are not One Pocket, Bank Pool and 14.1 championship pursuits, worthy of equal recognition?
I hope to change many things in the near future.I have fresh ideas and the will to make them work. I need to get by my Dec. tournaments and if everything goes as projected, you'll see huge change in pool, just from me. If my wife and I don't lose money in Dec. we plan for 05' :
One Pocket, 14.1, Bank Pool, Nine Ball, Grady's equal offense 10 Ball, some kind of big ring game, Poker, and these things on TV and an organization with: A A pension plan
B. Insurance benefits
C. A credit union
D. Our own HOF with no voting members being magazine editors
These are just a few of my ideas. Thanks in advance to Leonard Bludworth, Greg Sullivan,the Diamond table Co. and my friends in Foley,Al Richard and family.
Grady

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
The dog is gonna hunt

The dog is gonna hunt

Grady said:
If my wife and I don't lose money in Dec. we plan for 05' :
Grady

I be done told ya Grady, ain't no body gonna keep this thing from working. It's a gonna fly my man it's a gonna fly. Don't wanna hear no more of this 'if' stuff. If the frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass. Do just like you you do in a big money match - think positive. Say, "we're not going to lose money." The damn dog is a gonna hunt.

And you ain't gotta thank me fer nothing I be done. I did any of it cause y'all are friends and I want to help. 'sides, I want to see something like this in my part of the country. I believe it will be a benfit to pool along the coast in general. You just let me know what I need to do down here and then mark it down as done.

You and Ms Randi have a wonderful 4th. Wish y'all were here to go out on the boat with us to watch the fireworks the City of Fairhope has on the pier. Oh hell, you couldn't sit still that long :D .

Later my friend, Pelican

David

Verified Member
From
South Carolina
Why pool never took off???

Why pool never took off???

Why is it Grady that the billiard sports in general never took off. You can be last in the LPGA and make more money than the number one ranked pool player in the world; and yet more people play pool than any other pro sport in the world. Pro skateboarders make millions and some of the best pool players in the country are out hustling in bars to make a living. Their needs to be organization and sponsors, how to get that is the question. Grady I wish you the best luck in December.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The 'Music Man Syndrome'

The 'Music Man Syndrome'

David said:
Why is it Grady that the billiard sports in general never took off. You can be last in the LPGA and make more money than the number one ranked pool player in the world; and yet more people play pool than any other pro sport in the world. Pro skateboarders make millions and some of the best pool players in the country are out hustling in bars to make a living. Their needs to be organization and sponsors, how to get that is the question. Grady I wish you the best luck in December.
My personal opinion is that the problem is that much of the pool industry itself suffers from what I like to call the Music Man Syndrome -- that is, rather than embracing the real characters that excel at pool, along with the gambling that is a big part of that, they pursue a Quixotic effort to deny and eradicate the gambling and the ambience it thrives in, under the mistaken impression that 'it's what pool needs'. Ironically, and sadly, they come closer to killing the sport than saving it, because gambling and pool have been intertwined like siamese twins since the very invention of the game. Try to separate them & somebody's going to die.

Thank the pool gods for those folks in the pool industry (like Diamond & like Grady!!) that do step up and celebrate the game and the players as they really are -- instead of treating them like wayward children that need to be cleaned up and brought into line before they get fed...

Now I ask you this, how can the pool industry expect to interest sponsorship from outside the industry as long as they are so hesitant to sponsor their own sport themselves???

Last edited:

Woody_968

From
Terre Haute, Indiana
Grady said:
Are not One Pocket, Bank Pool and 14.1 championship pursuits, worthy of equal recognition?

Grady

IMO they are worth equal, or MORE recognition. I have recently started learning One Pocket and Straight Pool and am enjoying 9ball less and less. I wish there would be a serge in people playing straight pool, as this game has sooo much more to offer.

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
Records

Records

Hi Grady,

Congratulations on your past accomplishments and it's high time that you receive credit for them, with that said I consider myself a fan of yours, want you to know that I support your efforts to improve the game of pool, whether it be one pocket, 14-1 or banks, I feel that you are going in the right direction.

It's time that more people recognize that there is more to pool than 9 ball, which I consider a one dimensional game.

Good luck with your future endeavors, if I can attend any of your events in the future it would be my pleasure.

Regards,

Smitty

David said:

Might very well be cause of people like you.

David

Verified Member
From
South Carolina
Well Claire, never said I was smart but thanks for the compliment. Did you just get out of jail Gradys post was a long time ago.

David said:
Well Claire, never said I was smart but thanks for the compliment. Did you just get out of jail Gradys post was a long time ago.

Yep, I was doing time for strangling assholes like you.

David

Verified Member
From
South Carolina
Well since I never met you or know you I would have to conclude that you are a crazy old lady with nothing better to do but find people on forums to attack. So with that I wish you the best at what ever it is that you do in life, Claire our conversation is over.:D