Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2019, 03:30 AM
Verified Member

Default what do you think about what ben let dave do in the finals

in the last game i think. ben played a safe and sent the cue ball up in the corner pocket so had to spot two balls. so he put them up.

dave then proceeded to line them up and go around and check them from different angles and realign them. then ben let dave even tap one down with the butt of his cuestick. so he could do the okie dokey shot.

would you let your opponent the shooter in the finals do this?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:45 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
in the last game i think. ben played a safe and sent the cue ball up in the corner pocket so had to spot two balls. so he put them up.

dave then proceeded to line them up and go around and check them from different angles and realign them. then ben let dave even tap one down with the butt of his cuestick. so he could do the okie dokey shot.

No issue. Ben spotted the 2 balls first and they were not frozen. I asked Ben if I could freeze them before touching them and they would not freeze. Even after tapping them they were not perfectly frozen but I didn't want to keep doing it. I should have cleaned/rubbed the table near the spot to see if that would help.

This happens all the time, the 2 balls should be frozen...period. It wasn't Ben's fault they were not frozen when he spotted them because I tried a bunch of times and couldn't get them to fully freeze.

I will be interested in everyone's thoughts on this - what was your thought, Beatle?

Note: I really enjoyed playing Ben and look forward to the next time. I reviewed the stream video and I really should not have won; Ben had several tough scratches that stopped his runs that got me back to the table. And as Hendy mentioned, I shot a few shots that made him (and me) cringe. But I'm still grateful for the victory, it was a blast - win or lose.
Dave

Last edited by 12squared; 06-13-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post

The answer is yes, the balls are supposed to be straight and frozen. Whether he does the okie dokie shot or not. I'm, sure Dave asked Ben prior to touching the balls and Ben agreed.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:25 AM
Verified Member

Default what do you think about what ben let dave do in the finals

I shoot the “Road Shot” as I call it consistently. Many times I have made my opponent reset the balls straight and many times they just tell me to do it. To ensure that they are straight and frozen. I would also let an opponent do the same.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Verified Member

Resetting the spotted balls happen all the time.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Verified Member

Many times I have posted about OP proper procedure, with little to no response! The lack of specifically pointing out proper procedure (what is expected of players) when playing OP lends to this gray area, for no where in any rules does it state that the opponent is to spot balls for the incoming shooter!

Here is proper procedure:
Opponent always spots balls for the incoming shooter.
A scored ball is always placed in their collective area by the scorer.
A ball owed is always removed by the player that owes the ball.
The coin is always placed or removed by the offending player.
A neutral ball pocketed is the ball spotted, and not another ball.
A break from play can only be taken during your inning.

With the above in placed then it is courteous to remind a player when a proper procedure is forgotten. For instance; you remind a player to place a coin.

Further:
A player down on the shot can not be interrupted. The shooter points to and declares balls are frozen. Opponent can approach the table to inspect close proximity shots or to determine whether balls are frozen or not, and at appropriate times can discuss a coin or ball forgotten, or a neutral ball mistakenly placed in a collective area, and things of this nature, but should never approach the table and disrupt a shooter to simply ask what the score is.

These simple above statements would add so much to the excellence of OP. Whitey
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
for no where in any rules does it state that the opponent is to spot balls for the incoming shooter!

Here is proper procedure:
Opponent always spots balls for the incoming shooter.
Since it's not in the rules, these are suggestions. Nothing wrong with the idea, but IMO, unnecessarily restrictive. Either player can spot them and the other player inspect. If agreement can't be reached, call a ref, TD, or disinterested 3rd party.

I agree with the last 2 as best protocol, but alterable by mutual consent:
"A neutral ball pocketed is the ball spotted, and not another ball.
A break from play can only be taken during your inning"

but I consider the others as the first, unnecessarily restrictive. Both players should pay attention so they are able to correct any errors when they occur. If you snooze, you may looze.

As to the initial question, Dave and Ben did what is common, accepted, and workable.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:21 PM
Verified Member

These member tournaments are more about friendship than following set rules. Thus you find guys putting up balls you have made, moving coins, setting spot shots, the whole ball of works. I know when playing one of my matches, my opponent told me to catch a ball going into the pocket, something I don’t do and would not consider. I caught the ball as asked and took my turn. No words. No objections. No argument.
As Whitey mentioned, during the Best Coast tournament, I told him he was shooting at the wrong hole. For three dollars, I would have let him shoot it, but sportsmanship in a members tournament outweighs “rules”.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
These member tournaments are more about friendship than following set rules. Thus you find guys putting up balls you have made, moving coins, setting spot shots, the whole ball of works. I know when playing one of my matches, my opponent told me to catch a ball going into the pocket, something I don’t do and would not consider. I caught the ball as asked and took my turn. No words. No objections. No argument.
As Whitey mentioned, during the Best Coast tournament, I told him he was shooting at the wrong hole. For three dollars, I would have let him shoot it, but sportsmanship in a members tournament outweighs “rules”.
Great post!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
Well said.

Two thumbs up.