Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2018, 01:47 PM
Verified Member

After thinking a little bit more about the shot clock, I am thinking that the chess style clock wouldn't be the answer but the timed per shot clock would be. If each player was given 30 seconds or whatever was decided, they could look the table over and shoot their shot within the allotted 30 seconds.

IMO, if you do this, you don't necessarily even have to have penalties or points. Even if a guy goes over a second or two, you are saving hours in the tournament as a whole! Just the player thinking in their head that they have about 30 second to pull the trigger should be enough to keep the game moving along.

EDIT - for what its worth, I would love to try the round robin format for the official annual tourney or any sort of regional event, sounds like fun!!

Last edited by cincy_kid; 10-31-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:11 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
After thinking a little bit more about the shot clock, I am thinking that the chess style clock wouldn't be the answer but the timed per shot clock would be. If each player was given 30 seconds or whatever was decided, they could look the table over and shoot their shot within the allotted 30 seconds.

IMO, if you do this, you don't necessarily even have to have penalties or points. Even if a guy goes over a second or two, you are saving hours in the tournament as a whole! Just the player thinking in their head that they have about 30 second to pull the trigger should be enough to keep the game moving along.

EDIT - for what its worth, I would love to try the round robin format for the official annual tourney or any sort of regional event, sounds like fun!!
Cincy, a TRUE, 'Round Robin' tourny is where every player plays each other! Obviously, that's impossible! But, as I mentioned in post #1 and in #82 you can have several flights, (barckets) of a certain number of players! Which has been the format for 3C for at least in the USA for over 50 years! Just in the last 10-12 years, because of huge numbers of players, the ,'semi-finals' have only 1 or 2 players advance to a, 'single-elimination' Finals! Reduces the time frame drastically!

Example: 32 players, 8 flights of 4, the TOP 2 players from each flight, (16) advance to a 4 flights of 4 players, 'semi-final!' The TOP player or 2 in each flight, (4 or 8) advance to a, 'single-elimination' Finals!

With a room that has 8 tables, and the field is 32 players, 1 match from each flight can be going on simultaneously, (half the field)! Lets say, each match is will take approximately 150 minutes./2.5 hrs. In Each flight there will be 6 matches x 8 flights = 48 matches /8 tables = 6 rounds x 150 minutes = 900 minutes/60 = 15 hrs. to play pre-lims!

Last edited by mr3cushion; 10-31-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:19 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post
Cincy, a TRUE, 'Round Robin' tourny is where every player plays each other! Obviously, that's impossible! But, as I mentioned in post #1 and in #82 you can have several flights, (barckets) of a certain number of players! Which has been the format for 3C for at least in the USA for over 50 years! Just in the last 10-12 years, because of huge numbers of players, the ,'semi-finals' have only 1 or 2 players advance to a, 'single-elimination' Finals! Reduces the time frame drastically!

Example: 32 players, 8 flights of 4, the TOP 2 players from each flight, (16) advance to a 4 flights of 4 players, 'semi-final!' The TOP player or 2 in each flight, (4 or 8) advance to a, 'single-elimination' Finals!
Yes, I understand completely and think its great idea or some variation of it! Would give the players a chance to get more games in too with fellow members and build some more camaraderie.

All good stuff!
Old 10-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Suspended

With a room that has 8 tables, and the field is 32 players, 1 match from each flight can be going on simultaneously, (half the field 16 players)! Lets say, each match is will take approximately 150 minutes./2.5 hrs. In Each flight there will be 6 rounds x 8 flights = 48 matches /8 tables = 6 rounds x 150 minutes = 900 minutes/60 = 15 hrs. to play pre-lims!

I believe the math is correct and will work!

Last edited by mr3cushion; 10-31-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
i too would prefer to change the game as little as possible
a rule that peter had in one of his tournaments was if a game or match went past a certain time limit 6 balls instead of 8 were needed to win
another idea i am tossing out is
at a certain time point the players have X additional time to finish their match
whoever is ahead at that time wins
for example at 2 hours the players are told they have 1 more hour of play
its sort of like a match clock
just tossing ideas out there
The ideal about giving and hour to finish and who is ahead at that time wins. Any player that is ahead would put all the balls at the end of the table and win. If it was a tuff match and who ever was ahead need not shoot again and win. A round robin would be great for the players that go two and out. They travel all that way for two matches and go home are watch some of the matches. 3/3 is the only way to play. If not it’s going to creat a lot of dead money and players will quite o play
Old 11-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
Tom Wirth, I am with you on starting Thursday when staying with a 3/3 format. I would assume that it would not start until noon or later and the matches played would offset what now is played on Sunday. Meaning getting it down to 4 players as you stated.

I also think that no one has to be knocked out on Thursday for getting through that first round may just be enough to offset Sunday's play, but if not, a round could be played on the winners side.

I really do not think it would be necessary to play a round on winners side, for early Friday a 2nd round on one loss could be played.

Thursday could actually turn into a fun day, with plenty of time to socialize. Something to think about! Whitey
Two rounds on Thursday on the winners side would help the the time frame. No one wants to travel along distance and be put out on the first day. Thursday could be a fun day to socialize.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
Two rounds on Thursday on the winners side would help the the time frame. No one wants to travel along distance and be put out on the first day. Thursday could be a fun day to socialize.
And the loser bracket can start early on Friday
Old 11-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post

With a room that has 8 tables, and the field is 32 players, 1 match from each flight can be going on simultaneously, (half the field 16 players)! Lets say, each match is will take approximately 150 minutes./2.5 hrs. In Each flight there will be 6 rounds x 8 flights = 48 matches /8 tables = 6 rounds x 150 minutes = 900 minutes/60 = 15 hrs. to play pre-lims!

I believe the math is correct and will work!
Wouldn’t it be 5 rounds x 8 flights? 2 for the first round 1 on the winner side then 2 on the loser side. This would get 8 with no loss and 8 with one loss. This gets it how to 16 players. This would be 40 matches. Then the 16 players would be 20 matches. Then the final 8 would be single elimination. That would be 7 matches to get the winner. Two of the players could have not lost a match then be knocked out with one loss. Those two might have a hard time with that. I couldn’t figure how you got 6 rounds per flight.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:35 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
Wouldn’t it be 5 rounds x 8 flights? 2 for the first round 1 on the winner side then 2 on the loser side. This would get 8 with no loss and 8 with one loss. This gets it how to 16 players. This would be 40 matches. Then the 16 players would be 20 matches. Then the final 8 would be single elimination. That would be 7 matches to get the winner. Two of the players could have not lost a match then be knocked out with one loss. Those two might have a hard time with that. I couldn’t figure how you got 6 rounds per flight.
Warren, there is NO, Winner's or Loser's side in RR format in the pre-lims!

It's the BEST W/L record of the player's 3 matches in their flight!

In case of a tie, TOTAL balls pocketed by each player in the ALL matches.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmoose View Post
Bill,

Your naming Ike and failing to name others (some members of OP.org and some not) who also contributed to the problem seems a bit unfair, especially to Ike.

You are simply failing to recognize the difference between tournaments and gambling matches. I also must say that the attitude of "my way or the highway" or "I will simply take my ball and home", or "resisting" any change even for the good of the game (or country) is all too prevalent in our society today.

Applying a rule or a clock to tournament play does not threaten the game, PERIOD.
No player likes to play that slow. The only reason they play slow is make their opponent mad and throw them off the game. What if their opponent started playing as slow as his opponent is playing. What would that do to the tournament? Then everyone would be mad just because of one match. In a gambling match no one plays that slow. Needs to be fixed.