Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2018, 08:18 AM
Verified Member

Default 65 and older

Time is what it's all about. I just thought these ideas would prompt others to simplify this even more if a RR format is chosen for the 65 and older group. We all get to play and play allot. We all get to play 15-20 hours each. Pro golf, everyone plays solid for two days before the cut. We would play for 3 days solid before our cut.

Flip a coin for the break

Thur 2 races to 2....start after calcutta
Fri 3 races to 2 start 10 am
Sat 4 races to 2 start 9 am

Any sets that are tied @ 1-1 players lag for break.

If every game went hill/hill over 3 days, you would of played 27 racks of one pocket X 45 minutes comes close to 21 hrs of play over 3 days.
no link....

Last edited by Island Drive; 11-12-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:02 AM
Verified Member

Default 21st Century WBT Round Robin Format

Should it really be called a round robin? This is more like a bucket format but without the eliminations. Or kinda like a chip tourney but with a hard set amount of blind draws instead of a continuous queue/waiting list. Only thing I question is can you get more play in? Itís hard to know, since the length of the games are unpredictable.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmoose View Post
Yeah, I know what you think.....race to 3....prelim and semi final brackets...conventional....150 tournaments... 8x4...blah blah blah....you actually stayed up til after 11pm to add "Professional" to your experience....

That's way tooo funny... Course in all that "professional" experience you NEVER pocketed a ball.

Isn't it neat that the WORLD BILLIARD TOUR likes my RR format( no races, no preliminary or semi final brackets. no eliminating any players until the FINALs on the last day. How smart.
Talk about an extremely insecure person!

If you spent just 10% of the time learning 1P instead of trying to have people accept you and more importantly YOUR thoughts on what ever, YOU'D play 5% better!

I'll bet YOU"RE the first guy to try and talk politics or religion in a poolroom!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
Should it really be called a round robin? This is more like a bucket format but without the eliminations. Or kinda like a chip tourney but with a hard set amount of blind draws instead of a continuous queue/waiting list. Only thing I question is can you get more play in? It’s hard to know, since the length of the games are unpredictable.

Chip tourney, bucket format. Doesn't matter what it's called, but those names sound good.

And for those that don't like the Bucket format, tell us, how many bucket/pool events have you played to come to your conclusion?

By tweaking the format, I'm trying to get each player, 15 hours minimum of match play time in 2.5 days. Thur. pm then Fri/Sat. Sunday final 6 play races.

I wanna watch the finals and have a cocktail and some food, I don't wanna be in bed Sun. and get up at 5am go to the airport, and know the guys are just finishing up play.
no link....

Last edited by Island Drive; 11-12-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
I think this is what we are all looking for. Take a close look, allot going on, but not.

Thursday.... and every day,TD blind draws opponents.

Each player breaks once, you only play 2 racks with each opponent..

End of Thursday, you've played 4 racks of one pocket.

Friday....same thing, blind draw 3 names. ='s 6 racks played.

Saturday comes....blind draw again 4 names ='s 8 racks.

By now, all players have played 18 racks.....and with NINE different opponents. Normally you gotta win 9 matches to play 9 different players, and WOW your mixin' it up with waaaaaaaaaaaaay more players than ever before, even if your not that good, you still will play ALLOT with many different people. PERFECT.

If time runs short or long? This format, that can be adjusted....this format is Very accommodating to change .

If each game averages 45 min, X 18 games that's Equal to 13.5 hours of play, over a period of 3 days. Hummmm, we could always tweak it a little and and make one day have one less round or one more????.

Here's the simple view.

Thursday 2 rounds
Friday 3 rounds
Sat. 4 rounds

Each played has now played 9 different opponents with a total number of racks played 18. X 45 minutes ='s 13.5 hrs of play over 3 days.

Each day we play a little more.

That works nicely as we oldsters settle in the pool room and area and the travels it took us to get there, AND WE'RE GUARANTEED TO PLAY 3 DAYS STRAIGHT.

Saturday night....END OF PLAY.

Add up stats, pick top players.

Sunday Finals, play races. Or the rest of the group, since tables will be open, do a single elim. race to 2 along side the main event.
This sounds great for the weaker players like me. This would make the better players play more matches and have allott more watching the end matches the last day. Could something be added like a second chance tournament for the losers on Saturday? Play for three balls are four.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenr View Post
This sounds great for the weaker players like me. This would make the better players play more matches and have allott more watching the end matches the last day. Could something be added like a second chance tournament for the losers on Saturday? Play for three balls are four.

That's always in play.
since we have the time.
no link....
Old 11-12-2018, 01:51 AM
Verified Member

Hi Bill, thanks for the invite. This sounds like a throw back 'somewhat' of Ronnie Allen's idea of how to run a tournament. I do not have any input at this time, but have questions to get up to speed.
Is this a whole separate tournament than either MOT or Seniors?
How many players? How many tables?
What is the RR Format? I would assume 4 groups of 8 players / 32 players total, since you're talking about playing a lot of games and different players!

Sure sounds like a great tournament for playing a lot of games, a lot of different players, and a whole lot of OP! I think you're going to need a huge score board posted on a wall.

Well tomorrow is the big match, Ghost and JR Hendy "shooting em up", "how great is this"! I want to thank the stream, thanks Kentucky! I hope you get a great match up also! I'll be taking notes from the masters, Great Fun! Whitey
Old 11-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
Hi Bill, thanks for the invite. This sounds like a throw back 'somewhat' of Ronnie Allen's idea of how to run a tournament. I do not have any input at this time, but have questions to get up to speed.
Is this a whole separate tournament than either MOT or Seniors?
How many players? How many tables?
What is the RR Format? I would assume 4 groups of 8 players / 32 players total, since you're talking about playing a lot of games and different players!

Sure sounds like a great tournament for playing a lot of games, a lot of different players, and a whole lot of OP! I think you're going to need a huge score board posted on a wall.

Well tomorrow is the big match, Ghost and JR Hendy "shooting em up", "how great is this"! I want to thank the stream, thanks Kentucky! I hope you get a great match up also! I'll be taking notes from the masters, Great Fun! Whitey
All the TD does, he puts his hand in a bucket, draws out a player #. Puts his hand in the bucket again. Calls out immediately, table # and player numbers. Does it till the bucket is empty.

You Never play the same player twice, till Sun. Turn in your score sheets to the TD after each match. TD will call out another match that was already on the ''bucket list''. And so forth.

Best scores W/L/Balls Made...play Finals/Sunday races, I guess 6 is what's been agreed upon, this give us TIME which is on all our Bucket Lists .

If there is a tie lag, best 3 outta five advances.

This is a format for the 65 and older group. We could also do mini sets, first player to win two games. If that becomes the choice then we would not play as many different opponents.

Us Old guys, like mixing it up with more than less, that's kinda why we are all here. I recommend we each break once per opponent and move on to the next. Kinda like speed dating, cept, some of us will battle for 2 hours with one person. We could also say/demand, at the two hr. mark, turn in your score sheets, that way ''your not holding up the tournament'' . Since you will be playing many opponents, this small miscue, may not hurt your final outcome, as it would in one set.

All I need now is a shaker bottle with 48 peas lol

More thoughts
no link....
Old 11-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Verified Member

Default RR Format

Great idea on the RR Bill. To me, the objective of the MOT is to have fun. Playing more games of one pocket is just that. One must remember that players traveling long distances would like to play more than 2 rounds. That could happen dependent on the draw. In addition, playing additional players using the RR format Bill came up with just unifies the group. After all, isn't that we want?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardK View Post
Great idea on the RR Bill. To me, the objective of the MOT is to have fun. Playing more games of one pocket is just that. One must remember that players traveling long distances would like to play more than 2 rounds. That could happen dependent on the draw. In addition, playing additional players using the RR format Bill came up with just unifies the group. After all, isn't that we want?
Tell the rest, I think it's worth a go. Kickin' it with the guys is FUN.
no link....