Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by androd View Post
Darrel you may be correct, I've played a lot of it, my favorite way to play.
Often the ball going in, not hanging frees up bank options, also the corner ball
often comes out for a shot, I noticed when a ball is made the CB rarely
comes to the second diamond. Just what I've noticed, or think I've noticed
(getting a little weary) Still play 3/4 hours 6 days a week.
Rod,

Good for you, keep on trucking. We are all getting there. You are an inspiration.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:34 PM
Verified Member

Break and make a ball: sit down. That seems to be the fairest rule of all. Making a ball is 99% luck. People have tried to convince me otherwise, but nobody has been able to demonstrate the ability to make more balls on the break than would occur by chance. Having the break in a game is already a huge advantage, and it would be more fair to eliminate the luck factor at the outset of a game.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Verified Member

[QUOTE=darmoose;262513]Rod,

Tom,

IN tournament situations, if it is a race to four, where the breaks are divided evenly, there is no issue. So, we are talking only about tournaments where there is a race to a odd number, which we could simply eliminate.

Darmoose, Whatever the number of games a match plays to one player starts the match. If the match runs hill hill that player has had both first and last break. Advantage goes to the player who won the flip or lag.

My first option, if we must make a rule would be to ban "rack your own" in OP tournament play (no further issue). Fine by me.

If we must accommodate this "racking your own" for some unknown reason, I would vote for the breaker having to break and sit down, no matter what happens (if he makes a ball he keeps it). This is the simplest solution; anything else just further complicates the game, a game known for it's simplicity and subtleness, and ease of understanding, unnecessarily.

I'm okay with this but I wonder how you can say this is the simplest solution when in all other games if a player makes a ball on the break he continues his inning. How is that not the simplest solution in One Pocket ?

I think we must keep in mind that we are trying to reduce the unfair advantage of having a majority of breaks in some tournaments, nothing more.

The only way to assure this is to alter the format to one where a player must win a designated number of games and win by a margin of two.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com
Old 08-18-2019, 03:27 PM
Verified Member

I've seen Cory Duel make the corner ball time after time on the break playing 8 ball. He gets to rack his own. You have to wonder if he has got some secret tweak!
Pretty simple solution, go back to playing OP by the rules, 'opponent racks', breaker inspects rack before the break, game on!
Or the next option; breaker racks and opponent inspects the rack, game on!

I am still wondering why no one has answered my question about how the break was played at the 2019 MOT! This is my 3rd time asking this question. Whitey
Old 08-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
I've seen Cory Duel make the corner ball time after time on the break playing 8 ball. He gets to rack his own. You have to wonder if he has got some secret tweak!
Pretty simple solution, go back to playing OP by the rules, 'opponent racks', breaker inspects rack before the break, game on!
Or the next option; breaker racks and opponent inspects the rack, game on!

I am still wondering why no one has answered my question about how the break was played at the 2019 MOT! This is my 3rd time asking this question. Whitey
Whitey,

I think we played rerack if you make a ball. If you scratch you spot the ball you made and are -1. I could be wrong, but I think that is what was decided.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:39 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmoose View Post
Whitey,

I think we played rerack if you make a ball. If you scratch you spot the ball you made and are -1. I could be wrong, but I think that is what was decided.
thanks Darmoose, sounds good, I like the conclusion if there is also a scratch. There was a thread on this, and I believe this method of solving the scratch had the most consensus, BIH/BTL -1.
When it comes to alternative rules, I like it that the players attending a MOT make a decision on how they want to play the tournament. I like this flexibility from year to year for our MOT's.

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 08-18-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Verified Member

Default Another Option

Nobody wants another choice, however, this was suggested to me by a pretty good player and hasn't been mentioned so far.

Make one on the break and you have the option of "keeping the ball and turning the table over to your opponent" or "re-racking".

Do what you all like, I'll play by the rules.

Powerball
Old 08-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Verified Member

Howdy All;

I don't know from nuttin' about 1P, am just getting my toes wet in Banks, have
played 98% bar tables doin' 8-ball and some 9-ball and some Straight (first
game I learned).

My input here would be why not work it like most other full rack games and
if the breaker makes a ball he keeps shooting. When his "Inning" is over spot
ball(s), made on the break and the game moves on. If this has been mentioned
earlier then my apologizes to the original suggester.

Or when all else fails follow the rule as written and found in the Header of this very forum
Kinda simple and to the point as I read it.

2.2 The opening break begins with ball in hand behind the head string. On the break, the cue ball may contact either a cushion or any ball in the rack first, but in either case, after contacting at least one ball, an object ball must be pocketed, or the cue ball or at least one object ball must contact a rail, otherwise it is a one foul penalty. As long as a legal stroke is employed from behind the head string on the break, the incoming player must play the balls where they lie – there are no re-racks for a pocket scratch or failure to contact a cushion or pocket a ball on the break.

hank

Last edited by hankh; 08-18-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerball View Post
Nobody wants another choice, however, this was suggested to me by a pretty good player and hasn't been mentioned so far.

Make one on the break and you have the option of "keeping the ball and turning the table over to your opponent" or "re-racking".

Do what you all like, I'll play by the rules.

Powerball

Damm, that's a pretty bad ass idea... This gives the breaker just about the right amount of reward for making a ball, while not giving him the whole game.. And it allows him choice of rerack if he opens the goldmine to the other side.. Could be the final solution, as someone once said.. I endorse it..
Old 08-19-2019, 12:01 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobermory View Post
Break and make a ball: sit down. That seems to be the fairest rule of all. Making a ball is 99% luck. People have tried to convince me otherwise, but nobody has been able to demonstrate the ability to make more balls on the break than would occur by chance. Having the break in a game is already a huge advantage, and it would be more fair to eliminate the luck factor at the outset of a game.
This is simple and saves time. I'll join the crowd in voting for it! It's not what we did in Philly, but it makes a lot of sense. (Still with the option for the opponent to check the rack.)

Also, it should eliminate the debate about making a ball and scratching under re-rack rules. Here, if you make a ball and scratch, then you sit down. But before you sit down, you spot the ball and put up a coin.

Cory

P.S. It's a bit slower, but powerball's option is pretty good too.