Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Verified Member

Default Just how good some of these guys are

I got to play Dennis O. last night at skeeters. No one seemed to want to play against this guy in the pool hall. He gave me 9 7 and the breaks.

I wish I would have taken a pic of the layout, but the score was 6 to -1 my favor. there were three blocking balls on his side of the table so I lagged a long rail bank to my hole, it stopped 1/2 a diamond in front of my pocket, and put the cue exactly where I wanted it on the end rail behind the balls.

Dennis walked around the table for a few minutes and then proceeded to shoot a back cut, off angle, 3 ball combination of the balls I blocked him behind. He then ran 9 and got perfect for the ball that he had to spot, breaking up two different clusters with carom shots to his hole...

Man this guy can shoot your nuts off even when you are thinking you have the nuts...

Good lesson and didn't cost me that much...

I probably should have asked for more weight...but he did tell me when we stopped that I move the cue really well, we only played 2 games, both games I got to 6 before he made a ball...I guess 6 is my number now...

Ready to go to Derby and play a little...

B
Old 01-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Verified Member

whatever the tuition was
the lesson learned is priceless....
do you think he was stalling until you hit 6??
Old 01-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Verified Member

I don't think he was stalling...he was stuck in the stack most of the games...

B
Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Verified Member

you obviously should have asked for 8-6

(see you at DCC)
Old 01-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Verified Member

Their high gear is beyond what mere mortals can ever attain. I was playing Cliff recently, he was giving me 11-5, and I had a ball sitting in the jaws of my hole and I stuck him behind the stack. He makes some unreal kick shot out of the stack and proceeds to run 11 and out with my ball still sitting in my pocket.

After that he just walked all over me, game after game. That's when I realized what "high gear" actually means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgcp View Post
I got to play Dennis O. last night at skeeters. No one seemed to want to play against this guy in the pool hall. He gave me 9 7 and the breaks.

I wish I would have taken a pic of the layout, but the score was 6 to -1 my favor. there were three blocking balls on his side of the table so I lagged a long rail bank to my hole, it stopped 1/2 a diamond in front of my pocket, and put the cue exactly where I wanted it on the end rail behind the balls.

Dennis walked around the table for a few minutes and then proceeded to shoot a back cut, off angle, 3 ball combination of the balls I blocked him behind. He then ran 9 and got perfect for the ball that he had to spot, breaking up two different clusters with carom shots to his hole...

Man this guy can shoot your nuts off even when you are thinking you have the nuts...

Good lesson and didn't cost me that much...

I probably should have asked for more weight...but he did tell me when we stopped that I move the cue really well, we only played 2 games, both games I got to 6 before he made a ball...I guess 6 is my number now...

Ready to go to Derby and play a little...

B
Old 01-04-2016, 04:44 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgcp View Post
I don't think he was stalling...he was stuck in the stack most of the games...

B
nice work...
Old 01-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Verified Member

I watched Jimmy Fusco (no slouch himself) play Efren. Jimmy left a ball in the jaws of his pocket and put Efren up table. It was early in the game and most balls were on Jimmy's side or close to the center line none really on Efren's side. Efren studied the rack for awhile then fired into some balls making a ball in his pocket and proceeded to run out. Jimmy's ball was still hanging in the jaws.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Verified Member

That is why most times I advocate these lower percentage shots that give you a chance at getting out against super players.

And making better games unless you like giving money away
Old 01-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I watched Jimmy Fusco (no slouch himself) play Efren. Jimmy left a ball in the jaws of his pocket and put Efren up table. It was early in the game and most balls were on Jimmy's side or close to the center line none really on Efren's side. Efren studied the rack for awhile then fired into some balls making a ball in his pocket and proceeded to run out. Jimmy's ball was still hanging in the jaws.
Glad to hear that Jimmy is still playing. I thought that he had retired-- to give lessons only. Was Jimmy getting a little weight from Reyes?

~Doc
Old 01-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Verified Member

Jimmy really hasn't played in well over 5 years. Plays little billiards now and then and gives some lessons. Just heard from him over New Years. Nicest guy you could meet!