1-Pocket Seminar

I1PL

Verified Member
From
Novato, CA
It dawned on me the other day: One does not necessarily have to play a COMPLETE game of 1-pocket in order to learn 1P. I mean, in chess, you have to at least know the sound opening moves in order to even step up to the board. Similarly in 1P. Each month I plan to have 1P tournaments, handicapped of course, every week. The first week, the ball count would sum to 4 (16 would be a normal game). So, in this week the players would be learning about the break and return shots, and how great of a factor these two innings are in the game. The following week the count would sum to 8, thus forcing the players to look beyond the Opening and discover how to move, or position, balls. By the fourth week we would now be playing 1P (sum to 16). And no matther how good or badly the players perform, they know that next month a new Seminar would start and they would go into it with the mental notes of what they needed to work on. Then, on those special occassions where there are 5 weeks in a month (say Tuesday occurrs 5 times in one month) we would have a Double-entry Winner-take-half event to celebrate!
What do you think?

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
I1PL said:
It dawned on me the other day: One does not necessarily have to play a COMPLETE game of 1-pocket in order to learn 1P. I mean, in chess, you have to at least know the sound opening moves in order to even step up to the board. Similarly in 1P. Each month I plan to have 1P tournaments, handicapped of course, every week. The first week, the ball count would sum to 4 (16 would be a normal game). So, in this week the players would be learning about the break and return shots, and how great of a factor these two innings are in the game. The following week the count would sum to 8, thus forcing the players to look beyond the Opening and discover how to move, or position, balls. By the fourth week we would now be playing 1P (sum to 16). And no matther how good or badly the players perform, they know that next month a new Seminar would start and they would go into it with the mental notes of what they needed to work on. Then, on those special occassions where there are 5 weeks in a month (say Tuesday occurrs 5 times in one month) we would have a Double-entry Winner-take-half event to celebrate!
What do you think?

Sounds GREAT!, anything to get the word out. Are you in Florida?:).....Gerry

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I1PL said:
What do you think?
Sounds like an ambitious project. Let us know how it works out. Does Mr. Ford ("Ford"), the black referee, still work the Sands Regency events? If so, tell him I said hello. I used to play those events twice a year from '94-'99. He'll remember me from my auto accident I had over on the CA 101 on the drive to the Winter, '99 event. :mad:

Art "Doc" Tripp