This Shot came Up Today in a Money Match

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I had this layout and was not sure what to do, I need all of the balls, my opponent needs 1 and I am shooting for pocket A as you can see. I went for a shot I sometimes practice and banked the 1 ball in to the 4 making it and pushing the 6 over, cue ball comes around and I am perfect to make the one ball and get on the 6. Score is 7-6 now but I did end up losing the game down the line. :eek:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXgX4BYqT3DLpi3FLpN2GMOW4PEvb4kEvb4kEvd3kWqQ3kbmo1kAOm1kbPY3kasD3kbBE3kasD@[/CUETABLE]

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ACCc4BaXU4DdOr4FaKh2GMWT3PWqE@[/CUETABLE]

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
So, Lenny after you made the 6 ball what did you do? I think I might have tried to get on the 7 so as to make a 2 railer and then you would have been able to make the 6 ball. In any case you would have the ball down by your hole so he would have to worry about itinstead of a bank.---Smitty

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fast Lenny said:
I had this layout and was not sure what to do, I need all of the balls, my opponent needs 1 and I am shooting for pocket A as you can see. I went for a shot I sometimes practice and banked the 1 ball in to the 4 making it and pushing the 6 over, cue ball comes around and I am perfect to make the one ball and get on the 6. Score is 7-6 now but I did end up losing the game down the line. :eek:
Sounds like it worked out well, but if the 4-ball had not dropped, it seems like you could have easily left a short cross corner. Ideally you could bank the one clean and swing the cue ball behind those other two balls, but it looks like maybe the one didn't pass six.

I think maybe I would have also looked at banking a little softer, to leave the cue ball more up towards the other end of the table, for a potential cut on the two ball if the 1-6 combo happened to fall, to avoid giving up a short cross corner if nothing fell.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXgX4BYqT3DLpi3FLpN2GMOW4PEvb3UXgX3UbBd3UOSK3UOjj3aLpN4abSi4kEvb3kVLQ3kbQM1kEsb@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
in concept this is what i would do. note 6 page layout
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ACCc4BaXU4DdOr4FaKh2GMWT3PWqE3UCCc4UdOq3kWqE3kEvY3kEfj4kNpY@4AdOq4BaXU4DdOr4FaKh2GMWT4PNpY4aaKh4adGy4kNpY4kNpe4kaSP4kNdf3kahT1kKNV@4AdOq4BaXU4DdOr4FdGy2GMWT1PKNV4VaXU4VdWo4VdWo1kKNV4kaXB4kavx1kCPo@4AdOq4BdWo4DdOr4FdGy2GMWT1PCPo2bMWT2bOCn2bbXg4bdWq1kCPo2kKbO2kMOk@4AdOq4BdWo4DdOr4FdGy4GdWq2PMOk@4AdOq4BdWo4DdOr4FdGy4GdWq2PMOk@[/CUETABLE]

Skin

Verified Member
lll said:
in concept this is what i would do. note 6 page layout
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ACCc4BaXU4DdOr4FaKh2GMWT3PWqE3UCCc4UdOq3kWqE3kEvY3kEfj4kNpY@4AdOq4BaXU4DdOr4FaKh2GMWT4PNpY4aaKh4adGy4kNpY4kNpe4kaSP4kNdf3kahT1kKNV@4AdOq4BaXU4DdOr4FdGy2GMWT1PKNV4VaXU4VdWo4VdWo1kKNV4kaXB4kavx1kCPo@4AdOq4BdWo4DdOr4FdGy2GMWT1PCPo2bMWT2bOCn2bbXg4bdWq1kCPo2kKbO2kMOk@4AdOq4BdWo4DdOr4FdGy4GdWq2PMOk@4AdOq4BdWo4DdOr4FdGy4GdWq2PMOk@[/CUETABLE]

I'm with you, Larry. That's the patten I saw, too, except I probably would have drawn on the 6 to get to the 2.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Skin said:
I'm with you, Larry. That's the patten I saw, too, except I probably would have drawn on the 6 to get to the 2.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ABle4BaXU4DdOr4FaKh2GMWT3PWqE3UBle4UeMt3kWqE3kDYd4kNIh@4AeMt4BaXU4DdOr4FaKh2GMWT4PNIh4kNIh4kaSR4kcGN3kaXg1kQCB@4AeMt4BaXU4DdOr4FdOj2GMWT1PQCB@4AeMt4BaXU4DdOr4FdOj2GMWT1PQCB@4AdOq4BaXU4DdOr4FaKh2GMWT4PNpY4aaKh4adGy4kNpY4kNpe4kaSP4kNdf3kahT1kKNV@4AdOq4BaXU4DdOr4FdGy2GMWT1PKNV4VaXU4VdWo4VdWo1kKNV4kaXB4kavx1kCPo@4AdOq4BdWo4DdOr4FdGy2GMWT1PCPo2bMWT2bOCn2bbXg4bdWq1kCPo2kKbO2kMOk@4AdOq4BdWo4DdOr4FdGy4GdWq2PMOk@4AdOq4BdWo4DdOr4FdGy4GdWq2PMOk@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
its funny skin how you and i think alike alot (that could be good or bad). that was the first way i went to post it. then i said to myselelf ive read that if you can use follow instead of draw thats always better show i so i showed getting position with follow so as nt to get to reamed out by the gods who post here. since you brought it up sjd , billy , artie.beard, dennis. rod ,beatle even lou:eek: which way would you play position. my list is a short one everyone can give their opinion

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fast Lenny said:
What's wrong with this shot? Too conservative?;) You'd be getting the best of this exchange: ~Doc
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXgX4BYqT3DLpi3FLpN2GMOW4PEna3UXgX3UbBR4UVrt4kEna3kVTb3kbRb3kOSg3uCUI@[/CUETABLE]

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
gulfportdoc said:
What's wrong with this shot? Too conservative?;) You'd be getting the best of this exchange: ~Doc
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXgX4BYqT3DLpi3FLpN2GMOW4PEna3UXgX3UbBR4UVrt4kEna3kVTb3kbRb3kOSg3uCUI@[/CUETABLE]
If you can hit the 1-ball enough to the left, i would look at this too. You might get something decent out of it... This is what I would call aggressive defense, not "conservative" :D

beatle

Verified Member
i generally like ducking behind and knocking the one over on my side. this time since i need all the balls i want to keep them down table as ducking will make him send them up table.

since i have a good angle to leave him up table on my long rail with the two ball blocking view of my hole i am going to leave the cue ball there. so play a shot which best puts any ball covered by the two while getting the one away from his pocket. that leaves knocking the one straight across or into the two balls putting one of them there. from the angle i think it looks like you can bank the one and leave it in or near the jaws so that is my choice. but into the two balls probably is just as good or much better if you cant get the one close into the jaws. lenny is a great shooter so his choice was best for him here. thats is how to think about it all.

beatle

Verified Member
for larry's question. most players are woefully inadequate at using inside english and hitting it hard. this case the position is easy. but so is coming back and forth across table which is my choice as it leaves me a little more room for error but also never puts me in a spot where i cant get a decent shot. but sometimes coming around you hit it way too soft or hard and both of those dont work so good. i like to hit it with low outside so i get a sharper angle right away and will guarantee no side pocket scratch. plus for me anyways i can control my speed better as i must get angle on the two so i can come across and make a one rail bank on the seven.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Guys I could not hit the left side of the 1 ball to get behind those balls, trust me if I could I would have played that shot as to me its standard. I played the 1 ball and got on the 6, did not get on the deuce though sadly. :eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Fast Lenny said:
Guys I could not hit the left side of the 1 ball to get behind those balls, trust me if I could I would have played that shot as to me its standard. I played the 1 ball and got on the 6, did not get on the deuce though sadly. :eek:

Lenny, I think you shot it exactly like I would've if I needed 'em all.

Larry said:
its funny skin how you and i think alike alot (that could be good or bad). that was the first way i went to post it. then i said to myselelf ive read that if you can use follow instead of draw thats always better show i so i showed getting position with follow so as nt to get to reamed out by the gods who post here. since you brought it up sjd , billy , artie.beard, dennis. rod ,beatle even lou which way would you play position. my list is a short one everyone can give their opinion

Larry, This is how I see position on this shot, so I'd be drawing from any of the 3 places I see the CB stopping.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ABtc4BaXU4DWDM4FaKh2GMWT3PWqE4Qaym4RaBO3UBtc4Udfq3kWqE3kDIc3kCbo4kXNh2uCEA@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
since you brought it up sjd , billy , artie.beard, dennis. rod ,beatle even lou:eek: which way would you play position. my list is a short one everyone can give their opinion

All depending on the exact position of the cueball, of course, I would hit it with draw, if possible.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AeMt4BaXU4DdOr4FaKh2GMWT4PNIh4aaKh4acAv4kNIh4kaSR4kcGN3kaXg1kQCB@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lll said:
its funny skin how you and i think alike alot (that could be good or bad). that was the first way i went to post it. then i said to myselelf ive read that if you can use follow instead of draw thats always better show i so i showed getting position with follow so as nt to get to reamed out by the gods who post here. since you brought it up sjd , billy , artie.beard, dennis. rod ,beatle even lou:eek: which way would you play position. my list is a short one everyone can give their opinion
draw wins. morale of the story "trust your instincts" :)