The Ghost's Shot Choice #8 Continued...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
lll said:
ghost if it was for $1000 what would you do???

One Pocket Ghost said:
Good question Larry...here's the first thing I would try, since I'm in a bit of a trap, and he has me 2-1 and the balls favor his pocket...I'd ask him for a $100 buy-out...:)...failing that...I'll have to study the layout...after I go eat some dinner...

I'd be interested for our other members to post - if they can find a $1,000 a game safe shot here.

- Ghost

Ok Larry...so far, nobody else has either wanted to, or been able to, find a viable safety here, in this pretty tough situation - and were hypothetically playing here, in a very serious game such as for big $$$, or else we're playing in the semifinals of the DCC One Pocket tournament...

Larry, you asked me what I would do here, so I'll answer you...truth is though, I might even still shoot the kick in that serious game (and hope I didn't give my stakehorse a heart attack :)...I'm putting the diagram of that kick shot back up (diagram 1)....and here also, if I elected to play safe instead, are the diagrams of two shots that are pretty good safetys in this spot, and that I might choose to shoot >>>

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PWyq4Qcpt4Vaso4Vcxv3kWyq2kHxn4kcXN4kasf4kMGr4kIOM@[/CUETABLE]

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PXHq4Qcpt4Vaso4Vbyg3kXHq4kLps4kaTx4kcAD@[/CUETABLE]

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PXHq4Qcpt3kXHq4kcEd2kbwC1kMOo1kMOo@[/CUETABLE]

In diagram 2, in this defensive choice, he ends up close behind the 2 with both balls along the rail...he can't do much from there...he could go aggressive and try the 4-10 combination, but it's no easy shot, and he sells out if he misses it...

In diagram 3, in this defensive choice, I take a scratch, and zigzag down to the bottom rail...now this is interesting because he can't take a scratch back at me down there, because I have a hanger 2 ball, and a dead 1-14 combination...he also can't comfortably do anything with my 2ball - what can/would he do from there?

Ok, now Billy thanked and complimented me yesterday for regularly putting up interesting shot situations and sharing my knowledge of moves that can be made....he also asked that other knowledgable members give their input more often....with all of that said, this is an interesting shot situation for you guys to do that...

Dick, John, Billy, Rod, Freddy, Steve, Dennis, Doc, senor, Grady-(you never answer these, I'd like to get your answer here), etc....I'd like to know what you guys would do in this serious scenario - would you choose one of the three shots that I have suggested, or do you see something else?

- Ghost

Last edited:

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
How bout just keeping it simple?[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PWyq4Qcpt4Vaso4VbBq3Yaku3YcHx3YREk3kWyq3kYVn3kbiL3kYtY@[/CUETABLE]

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
ace said:
How bout just keeping it simple?[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PWyq4Qcpt4Vaso4VbBq3Yaku3YcHx3YREk3kWyq3kYVn3kbiL3kYtY@[/CUETABLE]

No can do ace, it's impossible...because as I already said twice before in the other thread, you're one hair away from being froze to the 5 - too close to the 5 to do anything remotely like that...and even if you could shoot that shot (which you can't), if the cueball went an inch higher than what you showed, you'd sell out a free bank on the 4ball.

- Ghost

Last edited:

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Ghost, I like the ten off the four carom with centerball sending the cueball one rail in between the eleven and eight to the end rail. A lot of good things can happen provided you don't hit it too badly.

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
If I'm not shooting the Ghost's preferred kick shot, then I like the zig-zag safety, especially if the opponent doesn't do well with distance. These kind of safeties that are 'non-reversible' are often very strong moves and can leave your opponent scratching his head, thinking, "How the heck did I end up here, and how did such a simple shot leave me in such a mess?" I played the Ghost a little bit when I was in Chicago, and I credit him for my first real introduction to one pocket. His 'lessons' (10-7, 9-7) were reasonable enough, he was a nice guy and I always like donating some $$ to my elders as I know social security doesn't pay as much as it should... :eek: I remember Ghost playing some of these non-reversible safeties on me, and it was really one of those ah-ha moments when I realized how strong they were. I try and use them when I can as they're a fun and low-risk way to squeeze your opponent.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One Pocket Ghost said:
Ok Larry...so far, nobody else has either wanted to, or been able to, find a viable safety here, in this pretty tough situation - and were hypothetically playing here, in a very serious game such as for big $$$, or else we're playing in the semifinals of the DCC One Pocket tournament...

Larry, you asked me what I would do here, so I'll answer you...truth is though, I might even still shoot the kick in that serious game (and hope I didn't give my stakehorse a heart attack :)...I'm putting the diagram of that kick shot back up (diagram 1)....and here also, if I elected to play safe instead, are the diagrams of two shots that are pretty good safetys in this spot, and that I might choose to shoot >>>

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PWyq4Qcpt4Vaso4Vcxv3kWyq2kHxn4kcXN4kasf4kMGr4kIOM@[/CUETABLE]

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PXHq4Qcpt4Vaso4Vbyg3kXHq4kLps4kaTx4kcAD@[/CUETABLE]

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PXHq4Qcpt3kXHq4kcEd2kbwC1kMOo1kMOo@[/CUETABLE]

In diagram 2, in this defensive choice, he ends up close behind the 2 with both balls along the rail...he can't do much from there...he could go aggressive and try the 4-10 combination, but it's no easy shot, and he sells out if he misses it...

In diagram 3, in this defensive choice, I take a scratch, and zigzag down to the bottom rail...now this is interesting because he can't take a scratch back at me down there, because I have a hanger 2 ball, and a dead 1-14 combination...he also can't comfortably do anything with my 2ball - what can/would he do from there?

Ok, now Billy thanked and complimented me yesterday for regularly putting up interesting shot situations and sharing my knowledge of moves that can be made....he also asked that other knowledgable members give their input more often....with all of that said, this is an interesting shot situation for you guys to do that...

Dick, John, Billy, Rod, Freddy, Steve, Doc, senor, Grady-(you never answer these, I'd like to get your answer here), etc....I'd like to know what you guys would do in this serious scenario - would you choose one of the three shots that I have suggested, or do you see something else?

- Ghost
i hope some of the guys answers today

senor

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

I saw the first request, but I didn't want to seem like my shot is the only shot available. I like your soft kick behind the two in this particular situation because it forces your opponent to figure out how to move the two and protect his position. But I posted my original shot choice because I like that shot too. You have a chance to make one, and if you don't make one you have two balls next to your hole and the cue ball nine feet away and your opponent headscratching on how to move the two balls next to your hole and protect his position.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I also like Senor's and Phil's shot. I also agree with Doc there's no reason to owe one. This would also be an option to try to get a ball to the short rail by your pocket and not give up the shot at the 5 ball. There would at least be a penalty if he shot the combo and missed.
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PXPq4Qcpt3cTjf2cPAm4cHYs4cInX3kXPq3kTjr2kcVM2kXHy@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
To senor and those who liked the 10 off the 4 carom...

Yes, in my $30 a game match I looked at that shot and considered shooting it...I didn't shoot it because there was risk involved if I hit either the 10 or the cueball bad, and also because I liked the kick and wanted to try it...

And as for the zigzag safety...I looked at coming off the 8 to get there as Doc and Rod said - Rod also said "there's no reason to owe one"...I disagree...

The considered reason to owe one is...because if you try to come off the 8 to get to my spot you have to hit it razor thin - hit it accidentally just very slightly thicker, and you scratch in the bottom corner pocket...I'm not taking that chance...I've scratched too many times in the past on very similar hits to this one, by not coming off of a ball as thin as I needed to, when I thought I could do it.....I'll give up a ball instead of taking a chance of the worst possible thing happening - scratching in the pocket and losing the game...

And senor, I'm glad to see that you like the soft kick under the 2 also...now there's a simple shot, but as we both see, it leaves your opponent in a very tricky spot to find a reply from there.

- Ghost

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
i hope some of the guys answers today
The 3 shots you diagramed are all viable choices. The kick is not laying natural, so you will have to use a little right hand english with this choice, sometimes creating problems with the direction the cue ball will take departing from the bottom cushion. If this shot is chosen, then speed becomes the central part of the shot. I like this shot because very little can go wrong and your upside could be a game winner.

The zig zag safety is also a good shot, but the execution of the shot is in question, shooting over the 5 ball especially frozen to the 5 ball makes this hit fairly difficult, but nonetheless if executed well it's a good shot. Not my choice.

The soft kick under the 2 ball is simple and effective, providing you reposition the cue ball close to the 2 ball, and without leaving your opponent an angle to put you near the rail by the side pocket. I like this shot better then the zig zag.

There is one other shot that could be very effective, but it demands a good hit. (little risky) That would be to bank the 8 ball back down table and reposition the cue ball on or near the back rail near the corner pocket. From the angle the wei table shows I really can't tell how much you can do with the 8 ball in terms of accuracy. You may even be able to reposition the 8 ball wery close to your pocket. If this shot was on, it would be a strong consideration.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
I also like Senor's and Phil's shot. I also agree with Doc there's no reason to owe one. This would also be an option to try to get a ball to the short rail by your pocket and not give up the shot at the 5 ball. There would at least be a penalty if he shot the combo and missed.
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PXPq4Qcpt3cTjf2cPAm4cHYs4cInX3kXPq3kTjr2kcVM2kXHy@[/CUETABLE]
billy was this the shot( posted by rod) you had in mind for "strong consideration?"

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:

Dick, John, Billy, Rod, Freddy, Steve, Dennis, Doc, senor, Grady-(you never answer these, I'd like to get your answer here), etc....I'd like to know what you guys would do in this serious scenario - would you choose one of the three shots that I have suggested, or do you see something else?

- Ghost

I might take a foul and tree him on the 5 ball and let him try and bank the 2 jacked up. easy to lose the cue ball or double kiss and leave a shot.

My other choice would be the shot in diagram two, laying up on the 2 ball.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
twister said:
If I'm not shooting the Ghost's preferred kick shot, then I like the zig-zag safety, especially if the opponent doesn't do well with distance. These kind of safeties that are 'non-reversible' are often very strong moves and can leave your opponent scratching his head, thinking, "How the heck did I end up here, and how did such a simple shot leave me in such a mess?" I played the Ghost a little bit when I was in Chicago, and I credit him for my first real introduction to one pocket. His 'lessons' (10-7, 9-7) were reasonable enough, he's a nice guy and I always like donating some $$ to my elders as I know social security doesn't pay as much as it should...I remember Ghost playing some of these non-reversible safeties on me, and it was really one of those ah-ha moments when I realized how strong they were. I try and use them when I can as they're a fun and low-risk way to squeeze your opponent.

The Ghost is offended, and must defend his honorable, fair gamemaking reputation here, lest anyone think I would take advantage of the innocent young twister (Carey)...;)...he seems to be inferring here that he was "donating", and that I was not spotting him enough at 9-7/10-7...:rolleyes:...so I feel it necessary to remind everyone that Carey finished in 5th place in the one-handed One Pocket tournament at this years DCC...:eek:...so I guess he's not quite so innocent and 'under-spotted' as he would try to lead us to believe...:rolleyes:......and lastly let me just say this to Carey...

You don't need any more weight from me than that - you just need to stop missing all of those hangers that you were missing, that you are supposed to make...:D

- Ghosty

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
IF this shot was feasible, I would shoot it. Hard to tell on the WEI. As for the kick on the 2 ball that you shot, if it layed natural I would probably shoot it first, but not for $30 a game.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PWyq4Qcpt3XLvS3XFIb4Xbet4XQic3dFQK2dJTN3eQtq3eMth4eUnR3kWyq3kSxy3kagO2kMfC@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
You don't need any more weight from me than that - you just need to stop missing all of those hangers that you were missing, that you are supposed to make...:D

- Ghosty

That's game-making 101:eek: . The Master Ghost is at work:cool: .

senor

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
IF this shot was feasible, I would shoot it. Hard to tell on the WEI. As for the kick on the 2 ball that you shot, if it layed natural I would probably shoot it first, but not for $30 a game.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AGvk4Baso3CLLs3DLvS3Eaku3FNnl3GQTK3HTjf3IFQK3JQtq3Kaaj4LVeK3MVeL4NIsG3OScK3PWyq4Qcpt3XLvS3XFIb4Xbet4XQic3dFQK2dJTN3eQtq3eMth4eUnR3kWyq3kSxy3kagO2kMfC@[/CUETABLE]

Thank you sir. I haven't taken the time to load up the wei yet.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:

Yeah Dennis, we've already talked about that shot - it could turn out very good if it's hit well, or turn out bad if hit badly...it's the other aggressive choice, along with the kick on the 2.

- Ghost