Owen v. Shuff

Skin

Verified Member
Thanks to Ray "Big Truck" Hansen (thanks, Ray!), we have this problem to discuss. It occurs at ~1:42 in the match as posted by Ray at his Pool Action TV site.

Race to four. Shuff is corner hooked after Owen moved the 5 away and dropped the stripe on the spot in the uptable corner pocket. What would you do? You can check out Shuff's shot at this link, again at ~1:42 in the video.

http://poolactiontv.com/pages/Featured-Match.html

Skin

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
tough spot

tough spot

It is hard to tell without being over the shot but the two options I see are:

1. Two rail the cue ball at the pocket hoping for a friendly bump on the 5 ball.
2. Bank the 14 to the other side of the table and send the rock down table behind the 5 ball. (this one is questionable because you are jacked up deep in the pocket and might have a hard time to get the rock to stun along that line)

Either way I'm trying to leave my cue ball behind the 5 in this spot.

Dudley

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
If the five ball is makeable from up table I think I would take a foul to get another ball on the spot. He will shoot at the 14 ball. Now I need two and he needs three.

Mkelley

Verified Member
From
Indiana
It appears that 1 railing the 5 is a no go.

So I would probably look to bank the 14, controlling cue ball leaving it in the upper left pocket area... that way shooting the 5 is to risky with the score 5-7. That might leave him a bank, but if he misses you can easily clear the pocket then.

What do I know I'm a beginner in training!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If the five ball is makeable from up table I think I would take a foul to get another ball on the spot. He will shoot at the 14 ball. Now I need two and he needs three.

Frank, if you take a foul, Now he's got a free shot. As you said he's gonna try to saw in the 14 ball. If he makes it now he's got the 5 ball and a shot to break the two on the spot or play for a bank. :eek:
I think Dudley's right you have to cross the 14 ball (Get it on your side) and try to drop in behind the 5 ball.:D
Rod.
P.S. You're still in the one hole.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Dudley;86274 2. Bank the 14 to the other side of the table and send the rock down table behind the 5 ball. (this one is questionable because you are jacked up deep in the pocket and might have a hard time to get the rock to stun along that line) Either way I'm trying to leave my cue ball behind the 5 in this spot. Dudley[/QUOTE said:
this should be doable??
dd1.jpg

Skin

Verified Member
It's hard to tell exactly where the 14 lays, but one option I saw while watching was to just go ahead and fire the 14 in the corner and come 3 rails around behind the spotted ball to land on about the upper middle diamond on Owen's long rail. Shuff shoots good so he could pull that off if it's there, imo. Might have been better off trying that than what he decided on, anyway. ;)

I figure the 14 is already in play, so if I could get the cb very close/on to that long rail, and get the 14 on the spot, Owen won't have many options for playing safe on me where I couldn't start moving them uptable again. I don't think he could make the 5 from there.

It all depends on exactly what is available off the 14. Dudley's shot off the 14 to get behind the 5 is the best option for me though, if it is doable as Larry drew it. Nice job, Larry. I see you got new glasses. JK! :D

Skin

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Frank, if you take a foul, Now he's got a free shot. As you said he's gonna try to saw in the 14 ball. If he makes it now he's got the 5 ball and a shot to break the two on the spot or play for a bank. :eek:
I think Dudley's right you have to cross the 14 ball (Get it on your side) and try to drop in behind the 5 ball.:D
Rod.
P.S. You're still in the one hole.
You're absolutely correct about that 14 ball. I didn't realize it was sitting so good for the cut. I must be losing it. (actually I did see that but only after I had already posted.)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
After watching the video I think he did the best thing but just happen to hit it very bad. With the speed he hit the masse he would be prone to lose control of the cue ball and maybe give up a shot on the ball that's on the spot.

The cue ball didn't bend that much for it to scratch, telling me that he could have hit it much softer with more control. I hope he was trying to kick it out two rails from behind. But maybe not and he was going straight to it. Which in my opinion would be wrong.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If Shuff wanted to be more aggressive -- "when faced with a tough safety or a tough shot, go for the shot if it gives you a chance to win" -- then he could have banked the 14 to his pocket like this...

Attachments

• Greenshot_2012-01-11_07-30-13.jpg
    Greenshot_2012-01-11_07-30-13.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
After watching the video I think he did the best thing but just happen to hit it very bad. With the speed he hit the masse he would be prone to lose control of the cue ball and maybe give up a shot on the ball that's on the spot.

The cue ball didn't bend that much for it to scratch, telling me that he could have hit it much softer with more control. I hope he was trying to kick it out two rails from behind. But maybe not and he was going straight to it. Which in my opinion would be wrong.
Watched the video again. He did look at the 14 ball a couple of times and there was something about it he didn't like. Maybe he also felt that the five ball was makable from anywhere on the table except behind it. Kicking that five ball out is not a wild play it just needed to be hit well. My opinion on why the shot didn't work is that he didn't clear the point of the corner pocket causing the shot to go haywire. The cue ball looks like it rubbed the point and went to his right before taking the masse. ( I've done that many times)

His problem started when he tried the oakey dokey shot and not drawing the cue back to the end rail. IMO leaving the cue ball there is asking for trouble. I wouldn't try that shot needing one ball and especially with the 14 ball in the path of the back ball that will be banking.