Font size

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I have often wondered why some use larger font size than others. I have probably done it myself in the past although I couldn't tell you when. Does it represent the user's estimation of the importance of his words vs. the words of others? Does it represent shouting? Does it turn comments into 'Uber Comments'? What is it? What does it mean? Does anyone know or have any guesses? I'm very interested to hear what others think.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I have often wondered why some use larger font size than others. I have probably done it myself in the past although I couldn't tell you when. Does it represent the user's estimation of the importance of his words vs. the words of others? Does it represent shouting? Does it turn comments into 'Uber Comments'? What is it? What does it mean? Does anyone know or have any guesses? I'm very interested to hear what others think.
If it's the poster's customary font size, it's probably just the size that's easiest for him to read. If it's used only occasionally or only for parts of a post, then it's probably for emphasis (for one reason or another).

Then sometimes there's no telling why...

pj
chgo

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Some people may genuinely see larger text better, so it may mean nothing more than that. Caps, bold text and larger font are all used for emphasis -- rarely with appropriate moderation and unfortunately very often in excess. All are considered poor etiquette in forums -- i.e. shouting. The bottom line is that some posters (and we certainly have our share) seem to want to be 100% agreed with, and want everyone to capitulate to their opinion or viewpoint, and if they feel like they are not getting that acknowledgement (I think they see it as not getting through), then they tend to ratchet up -- bolder, bigger and more capitalized in their effort to MAKE US UNDERSTAND.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Some people may genuinely see larger text better, so it may mean nothing more than that. Caps, bold text and larger font are all used for emphasis -- rarely with appropriate moderation and unfortunately very often in excess. All are considered poor etiquette in forums -- i.e. shouting. The bottom line is that some posters (and we certainly have our share) seem to want to be 100% agreed with, and want everyone to capitulate to their opinion or viewpoint, and if they feel like they are not getting that acknowledgement (I think they see it as not getting through), then they tend to ratchet up -- bolder, bigger and more capitalized.

I don't like to my glasses ALL the time on the computer, they give me a headache! That's why I use #3 font size always!

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Some people may genuinely see larger text better, so it may mean nothing more than that. Caps, bold text and larger font are all used for emphasis -- rarely with appropriate moderation and unfortunately very often in excess. All are considered poor etiquette in forums -- i.e. shouting. The bottom line is that some posters (and we certainly have our share) seem to want to be 100% agreed with, and want everyone to capitulate to their opinion or viewpoint, and if they feel like they are not getting that acknowledgement (I think they see it as not getting through), then they tend to ratchet up -- bolder, bigger and more capitalized in their effort to MAKE US UNDERSTAND.
Wait, are you saying BIG, BOLD, ALL CAPS, IN A BRIGHT COLOR doesn't mean it's indisputably true?

pj <- learn somethin' erry day
chgo

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

PetiE, wHat doeS thIs Mean?.....:D

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

I use caps and sometimes bold font to emphasise something in a post. I think as a rule, all caps means talking loud or yelling, and sometimes us old guys use bigger or bold because we can't see well.

I suppose constantly using them is to make sure we understand the key points and importance (To the poster) of a post.

They are aggravating though, as I am sure my use of ( ) is to some posters.

I guess any addition out of the norm suggests the readers need help comprehending the meaning. :sorry

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Sometimes folks want to just stand out, even if it's not practical..

And sometimes you want to have some fun at another's expense. I know I do.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
If it's the poster's customary font size, it's probably just the size that's easiest for him to read. If it's used only occasionally or only for parts of a post, then it's probably for emphasis (for one reason or another).

Then sometimes there's no telling why...

pj
chgo

Click on 'Page' on the Tools bar at the top of your screen. The Popup menu has a Zoom tool. Choose any Zoom you wish and your screen will be magnified to the chosen Zoom. It doesn't send that size out--just lets you see your screen better.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Using larger bold-face font, especially on selected words, is billiard player shorthand for:

"You are a fooking idiot and incapable of comprehending the written word, so to help your lame ass out I'm going to emphasize those words which I know you're too stupid to catch if I don't and that you would otherwise miss."

Lou Figueroa
no, no
don't thank me

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
If everyone has noticed, the reg member that has NOT replied to this thread is the person who personifies the use of ALL of the above.

Dare I insert his initials in the thread, oh, what the hell, [SJD]! :eek:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
If it's the poster's customary font size, it's probably just the size that's easiest for him to read. If it's used only occasionally or only for parts of a post, then it's probably for emphasis (for one reason or another)

pj
chgo

Thank you PJ..I explained what you pointed out, in great detail (more than once) Petie must have been ASLEEP !..:rolleyes:
I think Lou Figueroa described it PERFECTLY, in his post # 11...Certainly at least as it pertains to ILLITERATE 'dwarf' billiard players, whose initials are (oh, what the hell) 3-IQ ) :eek:....Thanks Lou ! :p

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Petie is all about exposing latent homosexuality.

oh, I think that in the case of our local billiardista we're talking not about gay v straight... more like just a little innocent cross-dressing. I mean -- how is he going to resist the heels?

I don't hold it against him whatsoever. In fact, recently I heard an interview with fashionista Tim Gunn and he reminisced about when, as a child, he was taken to visit J. Edgar Hoover's office, the fabled Director of the FBI:

"TIM GUNN: Yes. My father was a career FBI agent, 26 years. And he was - well, he was an agent but he ended up being J. Edgar Hoover's ghostwriter, speechwriter - took care of all the correspondents and his office was two doors down from Mr. Hoover's office.

And growing up, my sister and I loved the FBI tour. And this one particular year, I was nine or 10 and my sister was therefore six or seven. And my father said, you kids are going to be so excited - Vivian Vance is in Mr. Hoover's office. And I was a huge "I Love Lucy" fan. Would you like to meet her? Well, yes, of course. So we did and it was lovely and she was charming.

Years later, my father's in a nursing home with Alzheimer's disease - he's not at the Thanksgiving table where family has gathered. And all these rumors are out about Hoover being a cross-dresser.

PETER SAGAL: Yes.

GUNN: So I was reflecting upon that time in his office with Vivian Vance.

And I turned to my sister and I said, upon reflection, I know it was years and years ago - doesn't it strike you as odd that Hoover wasn't in the office?

MO ROCCA: Wow. My question is.. How was J. Edgar Hoover as Vivian Van dressed - which is really what matters?

GUNN: A stunning house dress.

KLEIN: If that's the look he wanted, he got a good one.

GUNN: But I have to tell you this too, I wrote about this in one of my books - "Gunn's Golden Rules." It was published by a division of Simon & Schuster. The Simon & Schuster legal team went to task on that book. They spent two weeks with it and they contacted Vivian Vance's two biographers - neither of whom knew anything about this visit to the FBI, and then they went to the FBI to look at their visitor logs - no Vivian Vance."

So don't feel bad, William :) Just enjoy those Jimmy Choo's.

Lou Figueroa