What would do you do?

daphish1

I had something similar to this and curious what's the right play?

I was down 2-7 with pocket A being my pocket. I'm still pretty much a novice playing 1-pocket and tend to struggle when i get down this big.

I'm not to good witht the cuetable but the shot i took was leaving the cue where the 7 is and put it on my side of the table. I'm just curious if there's something I missed to put myself at an advantage other then just knocking the 7 to my side of the table. In general, what's the right play when you get down big, just keep grinding it out trying to put your opponent in a position to make a mistake and take it one ball at a time?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2ASyL2BIUL1EYNE2FMuh4Gans1IVEc4PFaF3QcIt@[/CUETABLE]

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
daphish1 said:
I had something similar to this and curious what's the right play? I'm still pretty much a novice playing 1-pocket and tend to struggle when i get down this big.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2ASyL2BIUL1EYNE2FMuh4Gans1IVEc4PFaF3QcIt@[/CUETABLE]

The right play for you here, was to ask the guy that you were playing if he would settle for 50% of the bet, and then start a new game.....:cool:

- Ghost

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
daphish1 said:
I had something similar to this and curious what's the right play?

I was down 2-7 with pocket A being my pocket. I'm still pretty much a novice playing 1-pocket and tend to struggle when i get down this big.

I'm not to good witht the cuetable but the shot i took was leaving the cue where the 7 is and put it on my side of the table. I'm just curious if there's something I missed to put myself at an advantage other then just knocking the 7 to my side of the table. In general, what's the right play when you get down big, just keep grinding it out trying to put your opponent in a position to make a mistake and take it one ball at a time?

I think you did all you could do considering the situation. Grinding it out is also the way to go. Come back and win this game and your opponent might get discouraged.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Ghost that was funny. But I think like Phil you did the right thing. I would try to leave the 7 on your side of table just ahead of the head string so if he left you down where the 5 ball is you could maybe 2 rail the 7 towards your hole to putsomething in play for you. Your not in a good situation but you are not dead either.---Smitty

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i would have moved the 7 to my side but draw the q to the foot rail to leave distance . the 5 blocks the 9 bank the way i see the wei. as stated above you are in a tough spot

senor

Verified Member
Needing all the balls on the table, this is a reasonable shot. It may not be 'on' as diagrammed, but this shot and variations come up a lot. You could play to stop whitey there and leave a carrot to shoot at the 7, or you could draw whitey towards the three balls on your side. Of course, you're in danger of selling out the game on this shot, but hell, you need all of them with no balls in play. This gives you a shot to get two in play, maybe even make one, and put the decision to your opponent. I won't ask how the cue ball get where it did, but your opponent made a mistake here letting you make a bridge. It's time for you to tax him.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2ASyL2BIUL1EYNE2FMuh4Gans1IVEc4PFaF3QcIt1YYNE3YShO1dVEc1dVtn1dbie1dbBR1dcgD4dBJV4kFaF1kUGO2kCjh@[/CUETABLE]

This is one of the variations of the shot (I haven't taken the time to learn to do multiple pages yet)

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2ASyL2BIUL1EYNE2FMuh4Gans1IVEc4PFaF3QcIt1YYNE1YbYi3YOBE1dVEc1dVdn1dWiR3dTdj3daBk3dTnh4kFaF1kUnN1kTQm1kSbf1kRtn@[/CUETABLE]

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I agree with Senor. This isn't the time to be frating around, you've got to get some balls uptable. If you leave a long shot in the process, so be it. Mostly they won't be shot at unless they're free. Every bank your opponent shoots will mostly be free, if the balls are at the wrong end for you.
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
senor i like the first variation better as i think i could execute it better. i have to defer to you and androd with respect to shot selection. unless one of the 2 balls get on the foot rail so you have a ball above and below the pocket the shot on the 7 is sort of free and if both balls are bunched he'll be able to move them up table and or to his hole. i guess if you are stuck and way behind you got to go for it. i think i would have chosen another time.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
senor i like the first variation better as i think i could execute it better. i have to defer to you and androd with respect to shot selection. unless one of the 2 balls get on the foot rail so you have a ball above and below the pocket the shot on the 7 is sort of free and if both balls are bunched he'll be able to move them up table and or to his hole. i guess if you are stuck and way behind you got to go for it. i think i would have chosen another time.

Larry lll, this may not be the right time, but you have to pick a time, I'd have probably picked a time before now, the point is you get to pick your spot to possibly lose the game. Stalling forever is not going to end in your favor.
Idealy don't let it get to where he just needs one, before you take a chance on getting some balls in play.
Rod.

senor

Verified Member
lll said:

I think no matter what, your opponent will have a shot if they choose to shoot it. The 7 will always be an option, and if you decide to slide whitey over towards the three balls on your side, you could sell out the 1 or the 2. That's just the reality of needing five balls and none of them are in play. Like you and Rod said, you need to pick your spot. Whether this is the spot to choose or not can be debated, I just wanted to show a shot that appears often that could turn the game around in situations like this.

It should also be pointed out that the stall as a plan of attack in this situation could work, but is really dependent on your opponent not knowing the game very well.

daphish1

The people i typically play aren't great 1 pocket players. My opponent I was playing in this match is a lot better shot maker then I am and when I win it's usually because I am able to out move him (which obviously I didn't this game).

I'll have to practice the shots you diagramed because they do come up often and I'm just learning to see shots like this.

A slight variation to this, if the score is tied 5-5 would you shoot the same type of shot in this layout?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2ASyL2BIUL1EYNE2FMuh1IVEc4PGXe3QcIt@[/CUETABLE]

senor said:
Needing all the balls on the table, this is a reasonable shot. It may not be 'on' as diagrammed, but this shot and variations come up a lot. You could play to stop whitey there and leave a carrot to shoot at the 7, or you could draw whitey towards the three balls on your side. Of course, you're in danger of selling out the game on this shot, but hell, you need all of them with no balls in play. This gives you a shot to get two in play, maybe even make one, and put the decision to your opponent. I won't ask how the cue ball get where it did, but your opponent made a mistake here letting you make a bridge. It's time for you to tax him.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2ASyL2BIUL1EYNE2FMuh4Gans1IVEc4PFaF3QcIt1YYNE3YShO1dVEc1dVtn1dbie1dbBR1dcgD4dBJV4kFaF1kUGO2kCjh@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
absolutely!!!! for me. you move all his balls to your side. get balls near your hole to put pressure on his options and leave him with no balls that easily play for him. what could be better?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd and senor thanks for the replies. i understand your sentiment of how much torture do you want to endure? lets get this one over with i'll beat you in the next game. yes?

senor

Verified Member
daphish1 said:
A slight variation to this, if the score is tied 5-5 would you shoot the same type of shot in this layout?

Tied 5 - 5 as it's diagrammed I would probably not shoot it unless there was an easy duck like the diagram below. BTW, I took the liberty of moving the cue ball to what looks like a more correct angle.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2ASyL1BMEk1EYNE1FJSs1IVEc4PADY3QcIt1YYNE3YXnu1dVEc1dWKp1dban1dasS1dcXA4dESt4kADY1kUOL1kObX@[/CUETABLE]

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
The Best Shot

The Best Shot

Im sorry but i disagree with most the the replies as to what the best shot is for your first diagram. Ive seen so many games that seemed hopeless that became a winning game by playing the best shot and not giving up or trying a reckless shot. I think you should move the 7 ball to your side but i would not stop the cue ball there. you should cross the cue ball trying to put it as close to your opponents pocket on the bottom rail as possible, making it as difficult as possible for your opponent to cue properly. Strange things happen: your opponent can scratch, you can make a bank or two and you are right back in the game. Anyone who writes this position off is in effect spotting his opponent. Dont ever give up. Sappo

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
sappo said:
Im sorry but i disagree with most the the replies as to what the best shot is for your first diagram. Ive seen so many games that seemed hopeless that became a winning game by playing the best shot and not giving up or trying a reckless shot. I think you should move the 7 ball to your side but i would not stop the cue ball there. you should cross the cue ball trying to put it as close to your opponents pocket on the bottom rail as possible, making it as difficult as possible for your opponent to cue properly. Strange things happen: your opponent can scratch, you can make a bank or two and you are right back in the game. Anyone who writes this position off is in effect spotting his opponent. Dont ever give up. Sappo

I kinda like your analysis,but the cross on the seven looks a little thin and you could leave a return bank on the seven. I,having plenty of patience, would shoot the seven and draw back to the bottom rail and wait for a better opportunity. You know, your opponment could do something dumb and let you back in the game.

treeMan

Verified Member
ball speed

ball speed

blackeee said:
I kinda like your analysis,but the cross on the seven looks a little thin and you could leave a return bank on the seven. I,having plenty of patience, would shoot the seven and draw back to the bottom rail and wait for a better opportunity. You know, your opponment could do something dumb and let you back in the game.

blackee, can I ask you about drawing off the 7 here? how do you hit that while not hitting it too hard where the 7 might come back around the table? can you do that hitting the 7 full, or would you use low right and hit maybe 1/2 of the 7, moving it 2 or 3 rails to your side?

This is a common dilemma for me, where I want to do something with the cue ball, but the speed I would have to hit it will put too much speed on the object ball. I've found that in one pocket, where the speed of both balls is important, that is a constant challenge in selecting shots.

thanks.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
treeMan said:
blackee, can I ask you about drawing off the 7 here? how do you hit that while not hitting it too hard where the 7 might come back around the table? can you do that hitting the 7 full, or would you use low right and hit maybe 1/2 of the 7, moving it 2 or 3 rails to your side?

This is a common dilemma for me, where I want to do something with the cue ball, but the speed I would have to hit it will put too much speed on the object ball. I've found that in one pocket, where the speed of both balls is important, that is a constant challenge in selecting shots.

thanks.
You bring up an excellent point, treeman, except I'm thinking maybe you were replying to lll:
lll said:
i would have moved the 7 to my side but draw the q to the foot rail to leave distance . the 5 blocks the 9 bank the way i see the wei. as stated above you are in a tough spot
The principle you mention sure does come up a lot, though -- when you want to do something with the cue ball, but getting the right action on the cue ball puts the wrong kind of action on the object ball.

senor

Verified Member
sappo said:

I agree that the stall plan of attack could work, but is really dependent on your opponent letting you back into the game.

treeMan

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
You bring up an excellent point, treeman, except I'm thinking maybe you were replying to lll:

That's true, Ill said it first. it cought my mind as I was reading, and when I saw blackee say it also I though he was repeating his own shot.

In either case, when they say draw it sounds like straight draw with a full hit. I'm wondering if that is what they mean? Maybe I have to improve my soft draw stroke a lot more!