Daulton/Gay 2001 DCC 2nd shot

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's still the 1st game and Shannon leads 4 to -1. J.R. has the lower right-hand pocket. What would you do?

View attachment 1345

J.R. trails 4 to -1 and doesn't have an offensive shot, but he must choose a shot that doesn't allow Shannon to play an uptable game, or leave Shannon something to improve his position. Daulton has the luxory with the score being what it is to play either up table or to play agressively, providing the balls lay well for him. Copy of DaultonGay 2001 DCC 2nd shot - OnePocket.jpg

This shot doesn't allow Daulton to play either an uptable game, or play an agressive shot. Plus this shot isn't difficult to controll, something we all can appreciate. Anything else, would be uncivilized.

Billy I.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
J.R. trails 4 to -1 and doesn't have an offensive shot, but he must choose a shot that doesn't allow Shannon to play an uptable game, or leave Shannon something to improve his position. Daulton has the luxory with the score being what it is to play either up table or to play agressively, providing the balls lay well for him.

This shot doesn't allow Daulton to play either an uptable game, or play an agressive shot. Plus this shot isn't difficult to controll, something we all can appreciate. Anything else, would be uncivilized.

Billy I.
Jeez Bill, that's the quickest lesson comprehension that I've ever seen. Everybody says that you have a mind like a steel trap and an elephants memory but this really proves it:eek: .

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Jeez Bill, that's the quickest lesson comprehension that I've ever seen. Everybody says that you have a mind like a steel trap and an elephants memory but this really proves it:eek: .

Dennis
I would like to say that I can do it again,but if I did I would be lying.

As Reyes would say "I got lucky"

Billy I.

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's still the 1st game and Shannon leads 4 to -1. J.R. has the lower right-hand pocket. What would you do?

View attachment 1345
Possibly bank yellow ball (1 or 9) with low right and drift QB to top left corner...can"t tell from pic angle if that leaves Shannon a shot on that ball closest to his pocket??

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
MARK..HOU TX said:
Possibly bank yellow ball (1 or 9) with low right and drift QB to top left corner...can"t tell from pic angle if that leaves Shannon a shot on that ball closest to his pocket??
Also being down in the count it looks like this shot is kind of aggressive with banking yellow ball into stack..all hinges on that ball on lower left

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
J.R. trails 4 to -1 and doesn't have an offensive shot, but he must choose a shot that doesn't allow Shannon to play an uptable game, or leave Shannon something to improve his position. Daulton has the luxory with the score being what it is to play either up table or to play agressively, providing the balls lay well for him. View attachment 1346

Billy I.
doctor bill thats a nice shot and explanation of its strength:)
im curious what would you do if you had to respond to your own shot?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
doctor bill thats a nice shot and explanation of its strength:)
im curious what would you do if you had to respond to your own shot?

Larry, i'd quit that guy on the spot, he plays too good.

Billy I.

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
wincardona said:
J.R. trails 4 to -1 and doesn't have an offensive shot, but he must choose a shot that doesn't allow Shannon to play an uptable game, or leave Shannon something to improve his position. Daulton has the luxory with the score being what it is to play either up table or to play agressively, providing the balls lay well for him. View attachment 1346

Billy I.

Wow... that's one mighty suggestion, with reason and for such a simple shot that comes up all the time. I will definitely put this one in the memory banks!

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
putting the heat on

putting the heat on

MARK..HOU TX said:

I've shot shots like this one many times, and they are very effective, particularly against short stop players. But it seems like that I have only been playing champions the last couple of years, and this type of a shot doesn't work out well against champions. But yes I totally agree with your shot, it puts a lot of pressure on your opponent and in addition to that if he opts to shoot the 12 ball he will have problems playing position, because of the position of the 10 ball. Most importantly, when you shoot a shot like this one 80% of your focus should be on controlling the cue ball.;) Trust me, i'm a doctor.

By the way the score dictates that this shot is an option, and a good one.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
J.R. trails 4 to -1 and doesn't have an offensive shot, but he must choose a shot that doesn't allow Shannon to play an uptable game, or leave Shannon something to improve his position. Daulton has the luxory with the score being what it is to play either up table or to play agressively, providing the balls lay well for him.

Billy I.
That's pretty close Bill. Here's what he shot and how he left it.

CUsersDennisPicturesLeil's Shot.jpg

J.R.'s Shot 2.Jpeg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
That's pretty close Bill. Here's what he shot and how he left it.

View attachment 1347

View attachment 1348

I'm thinking that he tried to reposition the cue ball in the stack, and either hit the 12 ball too thickly, or put too much spin on the cue ball.:eek:

If you notice, Shannon has an easy decision if he wants to play an uptable game. He can either shoot the 12 ball into the 10 ball and stop there,or he can shoot the 14 ball and move a ball or two on his side and draw the cue ball, ending up next to the 12 ball. Not something that J.R. is going to like, especaially with the score the way it is.

Billy I.

mosconiac

Verified Member
Thanks for sharing your thoughts in these threads, Billy. I'm learning a lot from your (very descriptive) posts...:D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:

Billy I.
This is Mark Houst Tx option, which is a very good option, especially with the score the way it is. Most importantly when shooting shots like this one, controlling the cue ball in terms of repositioning it near or on the rail is crucial.

This shot more often than not is not a great option when playing champions, but still not that bad.;) Playing a champion you should only play this option when your behind significantly in the ball count.

Trust me, i'm a doctor

Billy I.

Attachments

• DaultonGay 2001 DCC 2nd shot - OnePocket.jpg
    DaultonGay 2001 DCC 2nd shot - OnePocket.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
i am going to two rail the seven ball at my hole or at the pack to break it up a little and draw the cue ball to the long rail and down to that first diamond on the short rail. which covers the ball by his hole with the five. then he can shoot at what he wants. look at how tight those pockets are. being down so many balls with four up table no way am i going to leave the cue ball on the downside of the table for him to send balls up table.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
beatle said:
i am going to two rail the seven ball at my hole or at the pack to break it up a little and draw the cue ball to the long rail and down to that first diamond on the short rail. which covers the ball by his hole with the five. then he can shoot at what he wants. look at how tight those pockets are. being down so many balls with four up table no way am i going to leave the cue ball on the downside of the table for him to send balls up table.
That's a pretty tough shot for a right-handed player beatle, but for a lefty it may be the thing to do.

EDIT: I just remembered that J.R. plays very strong left-handed. Oops.

Dennis

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona This shot more often than not is not a great option when playing champions said:
billy could you expand alittle on why its not such a great option against a champion?
thanks

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
billy could you expand alittle on why its not such a great option against a champion?
thanks
I would only shoot this shot against a champion if I were down badly in the ball count. When you leave shots like the 12 ball for a champion, he's going to lick his chops. I'm talking about the top 10 one pocket players in the world when I say champion. But if i'm down 4 or 5 to 0 or more, i'll let him shoot it .My reasoning for this is that if i'm down considerably in the ball count, I figure to be more than a three or four to one dog or possibly more. Plus when a player regardless of his status is up considerably in the ball count, he's not going to feel comfortable shooting shots like the 12 ball.

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
I would only shoot this shot against a champion if I were down badly in the ball count. When you leave shots like the 12 ball for a champion, he's going to lick his chops. I'm talking about the top 10 one pocket players in the world when I say champion. But if i'm down 4 or 5 to 0 or more, i'll let him shoot it .My reasoning for this is that if i'm down considerably in the ball count, I figure to be more than a three or four to one dog or possibly more. Plus when a player regardless of his status is up considerably in the ball count, he's not going to feel comfortable shooting shots like the 12 ball.

Billy I.
thanks bill.
your last sentence
Plus when a player regardless of his status is up considerably in the ball count, he's not going to feel comfortable shooting shots like the 12 ball.:confused:
prior you said a champion would be licking his chops.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
thanks bill.
your last sentence
Plus when a player regardless of his status is up considerably in the ball count, he's not going to feel comfortable shooting shots like the 12 ball.:confused:
prior you said a champion would be licking his chops.
Let me explain it this way. Champion players are a favorite to pocket the 12 ball from the discussed position at least 70% of the time, so if the game was close I would never leave this shot for a champion, understanding that he's going to pop it in.:eek: BUT, if he was considerably ahead in the ball count he may not want to gamble and shoot the 12 ball if it was offered to him, he probably would look elsewhere. And if he decided to shoot it he wouldn't pocket the shot 70% of the time. Why you might ask...extra pressure, and his better side might ask him not to shoot it...

Billy I.