Handicaps list: Why how & when & some creativiy

johnnytronic

Verified Member
Being at the level I'm at, which is essentially "somewhere in the middle"

I constantly find myself in underdog matches against the players I need to beat in order to know "Hey I'm a little better this year" :cool:

I would like to compile a logical organized list of handicaps, my experience with them thus far and eventually get a value rating system worked out. Get this all organize in an excel like document.

I want logic objective criteria mixed in with creative subject criteria.
The creative aspect would be "how can I make this spot work for me better but determining ones character strengths and weakness" :)

I will be basing my percent value system on what the
book "Winning One Pocket" has logically came up with and we can refine from there.

Here is where I will start my value system at,
unless of course someone has a better idea.

Taken from Winning One pocket : 2nd Edition

"Lets take for an example, the one ball handicap 8-7.
If we divide the point ball being spotted by a total of 8 points that the opponent is required to make, we would arrive at the handicaps approximate value of 12.5%. On the otherhand, if the game was 9-8, instead of 8-7, the value of the spot would be only 11.1%.
obvious choice to pick.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I constantly find myself in underdog matches against the players I need to beat in order to know "Hey I'm a little better this year" :cool:

I would like to compile a logical organized list of handicaps, my experience with them thus far and eventually get a value rating system worked out. Get this all organize in an excel like document.

The creative aspect would be "how can I make this spot work for me better but determining ones character strengths and weakness" :)

book "Winning One Pocket" has logically came up with and we can refine from there.

If we divide the point ball being spotted by a total of 8 points that the opponent is required to make, we would arrive at the handicaps approximate value of 12.5%. On the otherhand, if the game was 9-8, instead of 8-7, the value of the spot would be only 11.1%.
obvious choice to pick.

Here is a chart to help too:

http://www.onepocket.org/one-pocket-handicaps/

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

obvious choice to pick.

This is totally bogus. These percentages are correct and constant only if one ball could legally be pocketed per inning. Because each player's ability to string numerous balls vary, the value of a single ball will also vary.

Possessing the ability to overcome early deficits within a single inning changes the value for a single ball. Two top players of equal ability, one spotting the other 8-7 and playing one and stop has a 12.5% differential and the games will likely all be close affairs. These same two top players playing 8-7 in a standard game are going to frequently be running 6, 7, and 8 balls within a single inning, so the games will likely be lopsided. Therefore the handicap may become a factor in very few games.

This same principle applies to players of lesser skill sets too, but the value of that single ball increases with the diminished ability of the players.

So a one ball handicap will always have a different percentage value depending on the players abilities.

Tom

chicagomike

Verified Member
I guess the question becomes what level of knowledge do you use as a starting point? Do you develop your baseline as the guy who knows ZERO about the game or has no ability at all? Or is it the guy who plays good 9 ball and is just learning 1p? Is it the great bank pool player who struggles with running balls? Where do you begin your charting of known abilities?Once you figure that out I think it will be easier to determine a chart of handicaps.

This sounds like a complicated project, but might be worth while if you can develop it. You're chart would definitely make it easier not to get robbed by a more advanced player.:rolleyes:

johnnytronic

Verified Member
[/COLOR]

This is totally bogus. These percentages are correct and constant only if one ball could legally be pocketed per inning. Because each player's ability to string numerous balls vary, the value of a single ball will also vary.

Possessing the ability to overcome early deficits within a single inning changes the value for a single ball. Two top players of equal ability, one spotting the other 8-7 and playing one and stop has a 12.5% differential and the games will likely all be close affairs. These same two top players playing 8-7 in a standard game are going to frequently be running 6, 7, and 8 balls within a single inning, so the games will likely be lopsided. Therefore the handicap may become a factor in very few games.

This same principle applies to players of lesser skill sets too, but the value of that single ball increases with the diminished ability of the players.

So a one ball handicap will always have a different percentage value depending on the players abilities.

Tom

This is an interesting perspective and a great consideration but one factor you keep mentioning that's not enough to hinge my direction on this project is "players of equal ability" Sure I can see players of "equal" ability spotting each other the first break, a ball maybe but that's where it ends with equal ability players.:cool:

It's only applicable for the barest of handicapp offerings, I'm trying to go deep and creative with spots like 1 hit and the pick and moving the cue ball
to a specific locations. I'm talking about playing players that are not even close to equal opponents. There has to be a mathematical starting point to quantify what the advantage is.

I know its complicated, the real reason is because of human emotions are essentially at play. If two machines were of exact knowledge and skill, out of hundred games it should be close to 50/50 being the break is always a big advantage.

We can start with what a ball should theoretically be valued at and begin to guesstimate from there. For example if a ball is worth 10%, two balls are obviously worth more. IF the breaks are worth 1.5 balls (more in my opinion)
then the breaks and having the ability to manipulate any other ball is going to be worth MORE.

johnnytronic

Verified Member
I guess the question becomes what level of knowledge do you use as a starting point? Do you develop your baseline as the guy who knows ZERO about the game or has no ability at all? Or is it the guy who plays good 9 ball and is just learning 1p? Is it the great bank pool player who struggles with running balls? Where do you begin your charting of known abilities?Once you figure that out I think it will be easier to determine a chart of handicaps.

This sounds like a complicated project, but might be worth while if you can develop it. You're chart would definitely make it easier not to get robbed by a more advanced player.:rolleyes:

Well initially I want to keep it somewhat simple, just to get a starting point.
IF its loaded into an excel document, you can quickly organize it based on "theoretical advantages"
For example, lets say you can never beat a guy with 10-8 but he will never give you anything but, maybe your in a small town, no one to choose to play with. Let's say its really close, maybe the course of 5 hours you always come out 2-3 games down. Now it would be nice and fun to have
3-5 (subjective) creative options to get the game even, maybe 3% in your favor.

Additionally open up players minds to how endless a spot can be manipulated for fun and possibilities, or out smarting:D. I had a guy the other day that wanted to gamble and his spot was he will shoot all his shots on one leg.:rolleyes:
I have no idea how that effects his game, for me that would probably cause misses. It's interesting, however. :lol

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
This is an interesting perspective and a great consideration but one factor you keep mentioning that's not enough to hinge my direction on this project is "players of equal ability" Sure I can see players of "equal" ability spotting each other the first break, a ball maybe but that's where it ends with equal ability players.:cool:

It's only applicable for the barest of handicapp offerings, I'm trying to go deep and creative with spots like 1 hit and the pick and moving the cue ball
to a specific locations. I'm talking about playing players that are not even close to equal opponents. There has to be a mathematical starting point to quantify what the advantage is.

I know its complicated, the real reason is because of human emotions are essentially at play. If two machines were of exact knowledge and skill, out of hundred games it should be close to 50/50 being the break is always a big advantage.

We can start with what a ball should theoretically be valued at and begin to guesstimate from there. For example if a ball is worth 10%, two balls are obviously worth more. IF the breaks are worth 1.5 balls (more in my opinion)
then the breaks and having the ability to manipulate any other ball is going to be worth MORE.

I use "equal ability" because it sets the handicap as the only variable. How else can the value of any handicap be measured? As I stated before the value of any handicap in One Pocket must vary according the quality of the players. The break has far less impact on a game when the player getting the break can't score many balls. On the other hand a player with great fire power would find the break worth more than two balls to even a strong shot maker.

I think you will find there are far too many variables to factor in to any handicapping system but good luck anyway.

Tom

Last edited:

johnnytronic

Verified Member
I use "equal ability" because it sets the handicap as the only variable. How else can the value of any handicap be measured?

Tom

As much as I want to purely look at this as math and be objective, as I begin to build the document, Its becoming challenging. Hence why this may not have been taken on in the past, it's too subjective.
I'm already stumbling on some new insights.
For example, just purely knowing that this manipulation or that manipulation in a handicap is worth more then another, has it's own inherent value.

For example Tom, what is one hit and the pick worth?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Yo johnnytronic...I'll be glad to help you out with your needed handicap for when you're playing the Ghost

johnnytronic

Verified Member
Yo johnnytronic...I'll be glad to help you out with your needed handicap for when you're playing the Ghost

Yes I know you will...LOL.
May help yourself a little too!

Ghost, lets say a ball is worth 10%, what would guess "1 hit and the pick"
to be worth?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
As much as I want to purely look at this as math and be objective, as I begin to build the document, Its becoming challenging. Hence why this may not have been taken on in the past, it's too subjective.
I'm already stumbling on some new insights.
For example, just purely knowing that this manipulation or that manipulation in a handicap is worth more then another, has it's own inherent value.

For example Tom, what is one hit and the pick worth?

Once again Johnny, more information is needed. It is not the same for all match-ups. This can be a powerful spot or it could be worth nothing at all.

I've played guys where their scratches didn't count and crushed them. These were guys who shot straight and had reasonable control of the cue ball but had no understanding of how to effectively use their handicap. In the right hands this can be an extremely potent weapon. IN the right hands the hit and a pick can be a strong handicap too but it won't do much good to the guy who can't do much with it. should he be playing a better player. Many of these kinds of handicaps are traps. They appear appealing but in the end aren't worth much to the uneducated player.

Tom

johnnytronic

Verified Member
Once again Johnny, more information is needed. It is not the same for all match-ups. This can be a powerful spot or it could be worth nothing at all.

I've played guys where their scratches didn't count and crushed them. These were guys who shot straight and had reasonable control of the cue ball but had no understanding of how to effectively use their handicap. In the right hands this can be an extremely potent weapon. IN the right hands the hit and a pick can be a strong handicap too but it won't do much good to the guy who can't do much with it. should he be playing a better player. Many of these kinds of handicaps are traps. They appear appealing but in the end aren't worth much to the uneducated player.

Tom

I totally get where your coming from Tom, but a guesstimate has to be made. Your not going to get your fingers cut off https://youtu.be/hp14kcLgcz4

You have to allocate some sort of percentage value to a handicap. You have to remove the very best of the game and the very worst players. YOu must remove the tops and bottoms so we can take steps forward in our predictions.

Let's just assume then that the player has some sort of understanding, lets pretend the player is average. Your giving an average player 1 hit and the pick.