The Ghost's Haunt

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I've been so busy, day and night, since the tournament ended, I now finally have time to write...

First of all let me say how super-cool it was to have all of youse guys in my home room - all at the same time!...I'm glad that several of you guys, like John Henderson for instance, posted how much they enjoyed seeing/and spending time at the great old school pool room that is Chris's Billiard's - and I especially enjoyed reading how much Jason loved Chris's!...I only wish even more of the onepocket.org bro's could have been there too - like for instance, Billy, Jeff, Doc, Frank, hacker-Rob, Larry, and so many others that I can't list all of you right now...including my old pal Freddy the Beard - I know he would have really loved it..but I'm sure he was watching it all from up dere.

I really enjoyed seeing all the guys who I already know as well as meeting the guys who I had never met before...but, as always, at tournaments like this, the DCC, etc., there's never enough time to socialize, and gamble :heh with everyone nearly as much as we'd like to. I never had a chance to talk with a couple of the other guys who I'd never met before, but I did have the chance to talk a little bit with Jason/oneholenut, Darrell/darmoose, and Tom/1pwannabe - nice guys all.

Secondly, let me give big thanks to Matt, Liz, and everybody else who helped make it all happen...also thanks much to K-Bill and Goldy for the streaming.

Now let me congratulate all the guys who finished in the money..and especially let me congratulate Jim for making it to the finals and Robert for making it to the finals - and winning..and, as many other people said, it's amazing that at his age, Robert has the energy and stamina that he does..and he's the kind of guy I'd very much enjoy having as a regular in my poolroom.

As for me, needless to say, I enjoyed playing well and going far in the tournament - that said...if you look at things with your cup half full, there's always an upside and a downside to winning or losing in a tournament like this = Obviously, if we keep winning and going far in a tournament, we love it - the downside being we have way less time to socialize and gamble with everybody else...and, conversely, if we lose and get knocked out quickly in a tournament, we don't like it :frus, but the upside is that we do then have lots of time to socialize and gamble with the other guys...:)

Also, unfortunately, I was too busy playing my matches so I didn't have the time/opportunity to watch my good buddies/students Donn/dws, John/johnnytronic, and Tom/tsk7878 play their matches...and also now I can't get on their case for shooting wrong shots...:D

Lastly, while also throwing in a little humor, I'll end with these two things...

Thanks to my wonderful wife Riva for being there with me and sweating my matches hard. She really enjoyed being there, and wished she had had the chance to meet and talk to more of the bros..and she did particularly like the gentlemanly ways of Robert Newkirk and Mitch, in having met them...as for the humor part, Riva, being a woman, voted Tom/1pocketwannabe as the best looking guy in the tournament...:eek:...Tom, I hope you don't mind settling for that tournament consolation prize...:)

As well as meeting him, I enjoyed having a couple of good jokes with the champ Robert Newkirk - the first one being that after he had watched parts of a couple of my matches, he said to me: "you play just like me" - and, in return, I said: "is that a good thing?" - and he said back: "yeah, its good, its good." :D.....the second thing happened when I was playing my nighttime match with Pilot Jim and it was stretching past a couple of hours, and Robert had been waiting about seven hours at this point for his next match, and that match wouldn't happen until another match finished after my match.....so Robert was sweating our match, and with Jim ahead two to one in games, Jim and I were having a long endgame battle with just three balls left on the table..at that point, while Jim was pondering his next shot, I went over to Robert and jokingly said to him: "Robert, I know you're anxious to finally get to your finals match, so I'm just checking - you're not rooting for me to lose this game here so your match will come up quicker, are you?" And he gave a big laugh and said: "No, no, you go ahead and win." :D

And last of all I want to thank Jeff Sparks - cuz it was his idea that got the whole member's tournament rolling to begin with.

Over and out, for now, Ghost

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Great report Luke
You played great and I enjoyed what I got to watch and of course learned alot:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
The Ghost's Haunt

Thanks from r the great report 👻. It was a pleasure getting to play some on Monday and it was great to meet RIva as well at the tournament. Until next time, brother!

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
It was a pleasure playing you sir. Ever ball I spiked in Riva gave me a death stare (just joking). Lovely lady. You married way above your pay grade.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Why didn't I meet your wife? Were you too embarrassed of me to introduce us? LOL Nice write up ghost. Just sorry we didn't play our pre-arranged billiard game as you spanked me in our 1pocket match. I was looking forward to getting spanked at billiards too.

Dave

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Nice report Ghost and you have a super wife. I guess I didn't mention Chris's in my post because I've been there many times, always getting in action. It's a great throwback room. The people there are great but some of those back room tables suck.

I would love to have Chris's as my home room. Maybe I could learn some 3C

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Nice write-up Ghost! I really enjoyed meeting/playing you and Chris' was a really good room to play in ('cept for the back room.:heh) I'm going to get back there this summer and play some more, this time on those coveted diamond tables.

Tell Riva thank you for the compliment, it made me blush when I read it (I am southern after all...:eek:) and now I wish I has met her formally and talked with her.

I'll admit that I struggled with the Brunswicks at the tournament. I have very very little experience playing 1p on them and the rails are night and day different than the Diamonds I play on here. I wish I had came a day or two earlier and practiced on them to get a feel for it. We also don't play with the red circle here so that was a struggle as well. All in all however, I had a really good time visiting and seeing Chicago and I'm definitely going back to visit again.

It was nice to meet and play Tom Wirth in person. He's a great asset to the game of 1P, humble and polite and talented as hell. I hope to see him again next year.

I've been so busy, day and night, since the tournament ended, I now finally have time to write...

First of all let me say how super-cool it was to have all of youse guys in my home room - all at the same time!...I'm glad that several of you guys, like John Henderson for instance, posted how much they enjoyed seeing/and spending time at the great old school pool room that is Chris's Billiard's - and I especially enjoyed reading how much Jason loved Chris's!...I only wish even more of the onepocket.org bro's could have been there too - like for instance, Billy, Jeff, Doc, Frank, hacker-Rob, Larry, and so many others that I can't list all of you right now...including my old pal Freddy the Beard - I know he would have really loved it..but I'm sure he was watching it all from up dere.

I really enjoyed seeing all the guys who I already know as well as meeting the guys who I had never met before...but, as always, at tournaments like this, the DCC, etc., there's never enough time to socialize, and gamble :heh with everyone nearly as much as we'd like to. I never had a chance to talk with a couple of the other guys who I'd never met before, but I did have the chance to talk a little bit with Jason/oneholenut, Darrell/darmoose, and Tom/1pwannabe - nice guys all.

Secondly, let me give big thanks to Matt, Liz, and everybody else who helped make it all happen...also thanks much to K-Bill and Goldy for the streaming.

Now let me congratulate all the guys who finished in the money..and especially let me congratulate Jim for making it to the finals and Robert for making it to the finals - and winning..and, as many other people said, it's amazing that at his age, Robert has the energy and stamina that he does..and he's the kind of guy I'd very much enjoy having as a regular in my poolroom.

As for me, needless to say, I enjoyed playing well and going far in the tournament - that said...if you look at things with your cup half full, there's always an upside and a downside to winning or losing in a tournament like this = Obviously, if we keep winning and going far in a tournament, we love it - the downside being we have way less time to socialize and gamble with everybody else...and, conversely, if we lose and get knocked out quickly in a tournament, we don't like it :frus, but the upside is that we do then have lots of time to socialize and gamble with the other guys...:)

Also, unfortunately, I was too busy playing my matches so I didn't have the time/opportunity to watch my good buddies/students Donn/dws, John/johnnytronic, and Tom/tsk7878 play their matches...and also now I can't get on their case for shooting wrong shots...:D

Lastly, while also throwing in a little humor, I'll end with these two things...

Thanks to my wonderful wife Riva for being there with me and sweating my matches hard. She really enjoyed being there, and wished she had had the chance to meet and talk to more of the bros..and she did particularly like the gentlemanly ways of Robert Newkirk and Mitch, in having met them...as for the humor part, Riva, being a woman, voted Tom/1pocketwannabe as the best looking guy in the tournament...:eek:...Tom, I hope you don't mind settling for that tournament consolation prize...:)

As well as meeting him, I enjoyed having a couple of good jokes with the champ Robert Newkirk - the first one being that after he had watched parts of a couple of my matches, he said to me: "you play just like me" - and, in return, I said: "is that a good thing?" - and he said back: "yeah, its good, its good." :D.....the second thing happened when I was playing my nighttime match with Pilot Jim and it was stretching past a couple of hours, and Robert had been waiting about seven hours at this point for his next match, and that match wouldn't happen until another match finished after my match.....so Robert was sweating our match, and with Jim ahead two to one in games, Jim and I were having a long endgame battle with just three balls left on the table..at that point, while Jim was pondering his next shot, I went over to Robert and jokingly said to him: "Robert, I know you're anxious to finally get to your finals match, so I'm just checking - you're not rooting for me to lose this game here so your match will come up quicker, are you?" And he gave a big laugh and said: "No, no, you go ahead and win." :D

And last of all I want to thank Jeff Sparks - cuz it was his idea that got the whole member's tournament rolling to begin with.

Over and out, for now, Ghost

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Nice well thought out write up. Good to see you and Riva even though you put me on the losers side in our match. You played well in a hard fought match.

Great room with great people and players and it looks like there is always someone to match up with. You and Chicago Mike helped us out of towners quite a bit, other than playing too well.

I am out of action for awhile myself. A couple days after I got home I got rear ended on the freeway and it totaled my car. I am not hurt seriously but do have enough stiffness and muscle pain that I will not play pool for awhile. I pulled out of the CA Billiards tourney but will be there sweating it and maybe commenting a bit.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Thanks for the press Ghost... It just sorta felt right at the time and it seems to have worked out well what with it going two years in a row and people already looking forward to the next one...

I wish I could have attended also and met some more of the OP.O bro's and their wives...the old school pool room would have brought back memories for me I'm sure, probably would have resembled how I remember Chocrans in San Francisco...

From your recap, it certainly sounds like you enjoyed the tournament and that really pleases me... For all you do aboard OP.O, you definitely deserve a good time... Congratulations on your in-the-money finish and thank you for providing so many interesting wwyd's for us to learn from...

Someday perhaps we will get to shake hands and play a few... :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Thanks to my wonderful wife Riva for being there with me and sweating my matches hard.

I'm not too quick on the uptake, so it took me almost two full days to realize that must be Riva in that chair. First I said (to myself) that lady really understands the game. I could tell from her reactions that she knew a good shot from a bad one. Finally I said (to myself) I'll bet I know who she learned from. :heh

You're a lucky guy. My ex-wives thought "one pocket" had to do with which pocket they would take my money out of as I slept after I played. :frus

That's how I learned to make sure I went broke before I went home. :eek: Now, if I could just break that habit...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
...as for the humor part, Riva, being a woman, voted Tom/1pocketwannabe as the best looking guy in the tournament...:eek:...Tom, I hope you don't mind settling for that tournament consolation prize...:)

Tell Riva thank you for the compliment, it made me blush when I read it (I am southern after all...:eek:) and now I wish I has met her formally and talked with her.

Hey Tom...no offense to all of the bro's that were there..;)...but don't let that tournament consolation prize go to your head, cuz after all, you won it out of a very weak field...:D..:eek:..:D

PS, And if I was 30 years younger, I'da beat you out of that award...:heh

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Nice well thought out write up. Good to see you and Riva even though you put me on the losers side in our match. You played well in a hard fought match.

Great room with great people and players and it looks like there is always someone to match up with. You and Chicago Mike helped us out of towners quite a bit, other than playing too well.

I am out of action for awhile myself. A couple days after I got home I got rear ended on the freeway and it totaled my car. I am not hurt seriously but do have enough stiffness and muscle pain that I will not play pool for awhile. I pulled out of the CA Billiards tourney but will be there sweating it and maybe commenting a bit.
Wishing you a speedy recovery,FastEddieF.:sorry