Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Verified Member

Default Shot clock

The conclusion of our 3rd Members tournament begs the question......why in the world is a 32 player field finishing at 5 am Monday morning! We all love the game but we also have work to deal with Monday.

We need a shot clock to keep the matches moving along.

Hardmix
Old 06-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Verified Member

Default Shot clock

A very easy fix is to make it a race to 2 in the losers.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Suspended

100% Agree about shot clock needed!!
Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardmix View Post
The conclusion of our 3rd Members tournament begs the question......why in the world is a 32 player field finishing at 5 am Monday morning! We all love the game but we also have work to deal with Monday.

Hardmix
It was agonizing watching several of the matches during prime time. Players at this level should have a better grasp of the table and not spend excessive time walking around and around the table after traveling half way across the continent to win $1060 (not including the Calcutta). Unless you lived in proximity to the venue you couldnít do any better than breaking even.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Verified Member

Default Shot clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post

Problem is you lose the flip and your a big dog racing to 3. Itís more about slow play as opposed to shorter races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick B

Name: Nick Beretanos
Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
Yep. Its the only compromise that makes sense at this time without messing with the purists and i'm getting ready to prove it. Stay tuned.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:39 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Problem is you lose the flip and your a big dog racing to 3. Itís more about slow play as opposed to shorter races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean 2 and thats why you lag.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Verified Member

IMO the problem with shot clocks is they simply won't work in a tournament format using them on every table. Unless you had refs at every table..How do you tell when your time runs out? A buzzer? a flashing light right as you pull the trigger?? Kinda don't work with other tables next to you either. Of course i'm just throwing out scenarios here. At California billiards, Red shoes etc they have 48 player tournaments all the time that are completed in 1 day. Why? The races are shorter...lol
Old 06-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbcatjohn View Post
IMO the problem with shot clocks is they simply won't work in a tournament format using them on every table. Unless you had refs at every table..How do you tell when your time runs out? A buzzer? a flashing light right as you pull the trigger?? Kinda don't work with other tables next to you either. Of course i'm just throwing out scenarios here. At California billiards, Red shoes etc they have 48 player tournaments all the time that are completed in 1 day. Why? The races are shorter...lol
I think you're right that a clock is good in theory but just too tough to administer in practice.

I really don't like a race to 2 if it could be avoided in any way. That's basically allowing 10% of the players/matches to mess things up for the entire field.

In addition to some slow play, double elimination format really makes things drag along forever. A whole side of the bracket gets stuck waiting for a match to finish, and the winner of the winner's side has to wait forever.

Later, I'll try to revive an old post I made before the first Members Tournament. The gyst was to use round robin groupings to winnow the field down to 8 players who would then play a single elimination bracket. I still think that would be an improvement on several fronts. It uses tables more efficiently because they are all in near-continuous use until the cut is made. More efficient use of tables means the total tournament time is reduced. Everyone gets to meet and play more people. And it's longer until the first person is eliminated. Play would continue on Saturday night until all RR brackets are completed and Sunday would have 3 rounds to determine the winner.

You might still need to impose a clock or Grady rules on select matches at the 2 hour mark.

And congrats to Tom! He had an amazing shot to get past Dave 12^2.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardmix View Post

Hardmix
No easy solution here Ben...
Especially for a member tournament...
Feelings are big in the members, along with financial considerations, itís very difficult to send someone home on Friday after two loses... Meaning, that if we play more rounds on Friday, so we can finish Sunday afternoon, then imo, it will make the event less social and more competitive... While that sets ok with me, eliminating players on Friday could easily affect the player participation numbers down the road...

Political debate opponents are granted equal time in which to respond, not so in a one pocket match... When watching some matches, itís very easy to see how truly lopsided the time scale actually is... Certain players styles are just more deliberate than others, and therefore they consume the majority of the time used in tournaments...

When these styles meet, and play each other in a match, it becomes difficult to commentate, watch, or not lose interest altogether and switch channels... Inordinate amounts of time used by any individual should be governed, but therein lies the rub, how can it be done to fit the whole... Unless we get tough, and lay down some hard rules regarding time used, there is no easy solution Ben...