Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post

Thanks Cincy!

I can't remember the exact year, maybe around 1990 a new room opened by a Chicago Cop, John Hollic. The room was having the Grand Opening and he invited Mike Massey, Grady and myself to put on clinics & trick shot exhibitions.

Grady and I had always been close friends for many years, he as I did him, respected each others knowledge of are chosen games. While there that weekend, I collaborated and advised Grady on several systems he chose to share with the pool community. He as Freddy was, were GREAT students of the cue games till the end, as I will be myself!

Mike and I have also been friends, not close, but friends. He appeared doing the, Pool Artistic' shots and I the Carom Artistic. Grady opened up the day with his clinic, it was GREAT! I then came on in the late afternoon and did my exhibition, it went just as well! Mike was to highlight the evening with His Pool Trick shots. He and Grady both stayed in the afternoon to watch my show. After it was over, both Grady and mike congratulated me such a professional performance. I was very happy to have their appreciation.

Some minutes after the crowd settled down form the 3C show, Mike pulled me over to the side and constantly kept asking me, "How do you get so much action on the CB, and hardly ever hit the cue ball with a lot of force." I told him, "80% of it is, 'Natural ability' and the proper 'old school' instruction by a master!" But also, my discovery of multiple differently applied strokes/tempos and speeds, and the most important lesson, is to KNOW when to use them." He was very grateful, and proceeded to incorporate some of the info I shared with that afternoon in the evening show, BTW, I thought it was pretty ballsy to try techniques He had just learned.

I went off on a tangent, but, the Grady mention, brought back that fond memory.
Great story Bill, thanks for sharing! Yea, that Grady video had some other nice tid bits in it as well! Maybe one day we will get you to share your 'old school' instruction by a master technique of getting so much action on the CB with such little force!
Old 09-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
Great story Bill, thanks for sharing! Yea, that Grady video had some other nice tid bits in it as well! Maybe one day we will get you to share your 'old school' instruction by a master technique of getting so much action on the CB with such little force!
You can see it, here in these two videos. Notice the one thing I do or don't do on all the the artistic shots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQvxNUWPjBg&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuBXBjnuIc&t=841s
Old 09-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post

Thanks Cincy!

I can't remember the exact year, maybe around 1990 a new room opened by a Chicago Cop, John Hollic. The room was having the Grand Opening and he invited Mike Massey, Grady and myself to put on clinics & trick shot exhibitions.

Grady and I had always been close friends for many years, he as I did him, respected each others knowledge of are chosen games. While there that weekend, I collaborated and advised Grady on several systems he chose to share with the pool community. He as Freddy was, were GREAT students of the cue games till the end, as I will be myself!

Mike and I have also been friends, not close, but friends. He appeared doing the, Pool Artistic' shots and I the Carom Artistic. Grady opened up the day with his clinic, it was GREAT! I then came on in the late afternoon and did my exhibition, it went just as well! Mike was to highlight the evening with His Pool Trick shots. He and Grady both stayed in the afternoon to watch my show. After it was over, both Grady and mike congratulated me such a professional performance. I was very happy to have their appreciation.

Some minutes after the crowd settled down form the 3C show, Mike pulled me over to the side and constantly kept asking me, "How do you get so much action on the CB, and hardly ever hit the cue ball with a lot of force." I told him, "80% of it is, 'Natural ability' and the proper 'old school' instruction by a master!" But also, my discovery of multiple differently applied strokes/tempos and speeds, and the most important lesson, is to KNOW when to use them." He was very grateful, and proceeded to incorporate some of the info I shared with that afternoon in the evening show, BTW, I thought it was pretty ballsy to try techniques He had just learned.

I went off on a tangent, but, the Grady mention, brought back that fond memory.
You are the MAN, man. Thanks for giving back to the game.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12squared View Post
You are the MAN, man. Thanks for giving back to the game.
Thanks Dave, it's been a long road! I learned the game of 3C, post Willie Hoppe, but, his play with all the other 20th century players secrets still in my mentors mind, it helped, BIG time.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:10 AM
Verified Member

I guess I'm going to have to find an old master somewhere and sit at his knee to learn how to apply that force action and spin. I watched your amazing shots on those videos and I'm really none the wiser, maybe just more befuddled. All I can see is that your back stroke is short, almost Allen Hopkins short, but I'm not able to slow it down enough to see how far through the ball you are stroking it, much less exactly where on the cue ball you are contacting it with your tip. I learned a few things in the 90's from the relatively unsung Eddie _______, an older Mexican player who I'd play with at Hollywood in San Francisco, but he never taught me this stuff. Thanks for sharing these videos, Bill, and any other secrets you're willing to reveal to the inquiring minds here on 1p.org.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Verified Member

[QUOTE=mr3cushion;243555][SIZE="3"] I can't remember the exact year, maybe around 1990 a new room opened by a Chicago Cop, John Hollic.

Bill. I'm not sure if you were friends with John Holic but I recently learned that he passed away a couple of weeks ago. Apparently he lived by himself, was sickly, and during a "well being" check was found dead by a family member.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Verified Member

The one thing I see Bill is that you don't use a lot of force as quoted...very nice action you get there, whats the secret?