Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Verified Member

Default One pocket handi-cap rating & comparison system

I've been working on this for awhile. Some players have been asking me to release this because they want to know how the spots work without investing too much money.

The most important concept to gather from this document is the relationship between the handicaps--that you see why one is better than the other.
The actual theoretical percentages that I used can to a degree be arbitrary. If you think a ball is worth 6% vs 11.1%, it's almost subjective.

This is not a complete document yet and based off of my personal experience --with some help from the Ghost. However, he has not seen this yet.

I also released this with the intent of helping the game evolve. I noticed some of the players that are not from Chicago have never heard of these spots.
I invented some of my own but they may be considered fantasy and more for entertainment value.
I hope to open some doors for wild card style games, creativity and methods for modifying classic handy-caps

There is a .pdf attached and an image of that PDF. The original document is made in excel and I can edit and evolve it.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf One pocket handicap rating system.pdf (117.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by johnnytronic; 03-20-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: New version added with many revisions.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:44 PM
Verified Member

i dont understand how you arrived at all of your values and just what they mean to you in relation to the spot.

just like the first three for instance 9,8 is 11% 10,8 is double that 22% but 11,8 is only about 10% more at 23%.

the relationship to your spots and the numbers dont work. you are on the right track but need some adjustments.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:28 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
you are on the right track but need some adjustments.
I agree. You have some interesting ideas, Johnny, but a theoretical edge over 100% is impossible. An edge of 100% would mean that you'd automatically win every time.

(BTW, grammar-Nazi me notices "better then." That is not proper English... should be "better than.")
Old 03-20-2019, 12:36 PM
Verified Member

I will fix all the grammar issues. As I said it's a work in progress and I appreciate the feedback. There are more then a few misspellings as well.

No, a 100% edge does not mean you would win every time. It would only mean that you "should" win every time if you were playing an equal opponent. When I say win every time, that statistically would mean more like every session and not every game. I can give a guy I'm equal to a giant spot and win a game or two over a long session.

A 100% in my perspective would mean that I'm twice as good as you are
or would win 10 games in a race to 15 and you would win 5--Playing even.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
i dont understand how you arrived at all of your values and just what they mean to you in relation to the spot.

just like the first three for instance 9,8 is 11% 10,8 is double that 22% but 11,8 is only about 10% more at 23%.

the relationship to your spots and the numbers dont work. you are on the right track but need some adjustments.
I made an error at 11/8. Should be 33.3%. Good catch

When the lesser player is still going to 8, I have a single ball worth 11.1%, hence giving up two balls would be worth 22.2%.

If the player is going to 7 and your giving up a ball, I have it worth 13.5%.
So 8/7 is 2.4% better than 9/8.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Verified Member

Just to chime in some, spots like 9/8, 10/8 are much different than 8/7, 8/6 and etc. Remember when you play even up you have to beat your opponent by at least 8/7 to win the game. So when you spot down like 8/7 you have to beat your opponent by at least 8/6. This fact along with the re-spotting of balls in the 9/8 and 10/8 spots puts balls back in play which is an advantage to the better player. I'm not sure how to determine spot % advantages as shown but I give credit to making an attempt to provide clarity to matching up or tournament play. I remember match-ups that both players spotted each other 9/8 on their break. Figure that one out.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytronic View Post

When the lesser player is still going to 8, I have a single ball worth 11.1%, hence giving up two balls would be worth 22.2%.

i think you should make it clear for whom (stronger vs weaker player ) it is better
Old 03-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
i think you should make it clear for whom (stronger vs weaker player ) it is better
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
In the section of "create additional value" this in almost all cases suggests to how the player being spotted can manipulate the edge in his/her favor.

For example, if you are receiving 1 pick & the hit--you can add some more power to your standard breaking style in hopes to push a couple more balls towards your pocket. This additional energy into the rack will surely leak out a ball to your opponents pocket. Knowing this, you will simply pick that leaked ball as your own. It could back fire if you get too greedy.

I wanted to create a document/flyer/poster that can be hung in a pool hall or should be hung in a pool hall.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjohn View Post

(btw, grammar-nazi me notices "better then." that is not proper english... Should be "better than.")

Attached Images

Old 03-20-2019, 02:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
the higher the percentage number the better the game is for the weaker player
ie if i am the weaker player i woud rather get 8/7 than 9/8 since it favors me by 2.4% based on your calculations
for players new to the game it may not be obvious
nice chart...appreciate the effort johnny