Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Verified Member

Default Mkbtank Philly Tournament report

What a great time!! To have so many of my Onepocket.org brethren at my home room was just fantastic!!í I was very happy that Philly was selected for our members tournament, but I have to say I was a bit nervous about everyone liking the pool room and having a good time. I love it but you never know lol. As the weekend went on and the reviews were positive and everything seemed to go so well it was just awesome to me. Thank you So much Jeanne it cannot be overstated what a great job you did herding all of us cats!!! Finishing so early on Sunday is a record for our tournament.

The people:

Finally meeting Larry was a highlight, as well as Big Dean, Tall Paul (who is quite a player from what I saw), and even a few Railbirds who drove all the way from the DC area to sweat our tournament. Hanging with the rest of our crew is always such a treat! The laughing, eating (lots of eating) and Onepocket with our members so enhances my love and enjoyment of pool that I am extremely grateful to Steve for building our group. Thank you Steve.

The Play:

I played fairly well this weekend other than my tournament play. I finally got over my tv table hump in a good match vs ChicagoFats, but fell short against my buddies Ben and Jakie who played very well. As always I am an action junkie, whether itís cheap or for a few hunnert. This weekend I was able to match up and play some with Larry, Robert Newkirk (put that killer on notice lol) Oneholenut Jason Moran, Johnnytronic, Jakie, John Long (pool and ping pong lol), Steve, and of course my longtime battle Partner Kentucky (who played real strong btw).

Steve and I were able to play some of his new game (5 pocket?) and I have to say I am a fan! We played 4 games (50 a game) and I got lucky to finish even as Iím pretty sure I was being hustled lol. Jakie and I played it also and he beat me with a fantastic two railer in the side. I will absolutely be playing it again!

I also took delivery of my new cue from Mark Mariani who did a fantastic job (I will post pics later).

So for me it was a wonderful weekend. Thank you to all who helped and showed up so make this tournament happen and congrats to Dave and Ben and the rest of the top finishers!!!

Last edited by Mkbtank; 06-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Verified Member

Mitch great report....I was hoping you'd make it to the final four, as your game has improved....tho chumming is also effective. Hope to attend the next one. But..............
no link....
Old 06-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
Mitch great report....I was hoping you'd make it to the final four, as your game has improved....tho chumming is also effective. Hope to attend the next one. But..............

Thanks Bill. Appreciate it. Next time
Old 06-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Verified Member

Edited to add Johnnytronic. Super nice guy and nice wife as well! Only those Chicago guys negotiate a spot before ever playing heh. (Good training Ghostie hehe)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Verified Member

thanks for the report Mitch!

Wish I could have been there buddy, if not for anything else than to win back my $20 playing ping pong.

next time!
Old 06-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Verified Member

Great report, Mitch.. Watched your match that was streamed.. Played extra good..
Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Verified Member

Thumbs up

Mitch - thanks for organizing the event. Bluegrass Billiards is a great room and Dominick is a gregarious owner and host. Nice to meet Regina and your mom as well.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:43 PM
Verified Member

Nice report Mitch. I did get a chance to watch most of your match with Chicago Fats and it was very entertaining.

There was a shot in that match that would have been the highlight of the tournament. You were shooting a straight back on the nine ball to your hole. You jacked up and it looked to me that you intended to bank the nine and then hop the cue ball over the stack, which you did, for position to run plenty more. You missed the bank but executed the jump very well. Is that what you intended to do? It sure looked like it. If you did or didn't to do that either way I just learned a new shot.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:58 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Almanza View Post
Nice report Mitch. I did get a chance to watch most of your match with Chicago Fats and it was very entertaining.

There was a shot in that match that would have been the highlight of the tournament. You were shooting a straight back on the nine ball to your hole. You jacked up and it looked to me that you intended to bank the nine and then hop the cue ball over the stack, which you did, for position to run plenty more. You missed the bank but executed the jump very well. Is that what you intended to do? It sure looked like it. If you did or didn't to do that either way I just learned a new shot.

I did indeed, Frank! There was a road player (Roadman) in town a few months ago who showed me that shot. I have practiced it many times since. That was only the second time it has come up in a game since, and I was happy to employ it. I usually hit that shot well but overcut the 9 a bit, but itís actually a pretty reliable shot! Thanks for noticing

Last edited by Mkbtank; 06-10-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Verified Member

Itís always great hanging out Mitch, thx for all your effort in getting this done.