Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Verified Member

Default “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.”

Dear Gentle Readers,

That Woody Allen quote set off an inquiry process in the precisely-calibrated mechanism which is otherwise known as my personal brain. The quote reminded me of a question I’ve been wondering about re: pool players … specifically, those who gamble for a living.

Is there any one player, past or present, who enjoys the reputation of making bank consistently?

Of course everyone books an occasional losing proposition. But I wonder if there is some renowned someone who takes home the cheese on a regular basis. Or, someone in the misty days of yore, who took home the money on a regular basis.

I’m not referring to tournament wins, nor trophies, nor photo ops, nor endorsement contracts.

Cash.

Financial disclosure is my life,

Sunny
Old 09-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Verified Member

The glib answer is that every lock artist in the country won most of his sessions. Seriously, Alan Hopkins, Jack Cooney, Jimmy Mataya, Harry (Poochie) Sexton, Don Willis, Buddy Hall, Dan Loui and many others enjoyed a reputation for bringing home the bacon most of the time. This doesn't mean they all became wealthy.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Verified Member

Heres a couple of quotes commonly heard around the pool hall for you.

"I beat him, I beat this guy, I beat that guy, but I broke even with Efren"

or

"I put myself through college playing pool"

All financial advisors want to know is what are your assets, what are your liabilities. Everything else is stories.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keoneyo View Post
Heres a couple of quotes commonly heard around the pool hall for you.

"I beat him, I beat this guy, I beat that guy, but I broke even with Efren"

or

"I put myself through college playing pool"

All financial advisors want to know is what are your assets, what are your liabilities. Everything else is stories.
"I beat that guy out of a thousand"

But, you had to hit balls to stay in stroke to beat him, equaling say 100 bucks in table time.

But, you have to factor in the time you lost where you could have been making money doing something else.

But, you have to pay to get to a pool hall all those necessary days required for a win, don't you?

But, you had to pay for table time during the actual game for 1000, say 50 bucks.

But, nice hitting pool cues aren't necessarily free.

But, did you travel to get there? What about the hotels?

In the end, it's really a lot closer to being a big fat goose egg than we'd all like to admit. And that's a good day! If you're breaking even or thereabouts on a good day, what does a bad day do to your average?

Pool is a big fat goose egg. Take the success stories from pool, and no disrespect intended I mean it, but what do some of these guys have now when their careers have ended? Goose eggs around the board. I hate it more than anything, Paris Hilton wakes up in the morning and makes more than SVb will in 2 decades.

I honestly don't think it matters what your winning record was, all players are going to be approaching food stamps in the end, so it just doesn't matter except for the bragging rights, which is really all we have. Perhaps this is why people get so bent on the beat lists. You don't hear golfers getting bent on this stuff.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 09-22-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
"I beat that guy out of a thousand"

But, you had to hit balls to stay in stroke to beat him, equaling say 100 bucks in table time.

But, you have to factor in the time you lost where you could have been making money doing something else.

But, you have to pay to get to a pool hall all those necessary days required for a win, don't you?

But, you had to pay for table time during the actual game for 1000, say 50 bucks.

But, nice hitting pool cues aren't necessarily free.

But, did you travel to get there? What about the hotels?

In the end, it's really a lot closer to being a big fat goose egg than we'd all like to admit. And that's a good day! If you're breaking even or thereabouts on a good day, what does a bad day do to your average?

Pool is a big fat goose egg. Take the success stories from pool, and no disrespect intended I mean it, but what do some of these guys have now when their careers have ended? Goose eggs around the board. I hate it more than anything, Paris Hilton wakes up in the morning and makes more than SVb will in 2 decades.

I honestly don't think it matters what your winning record was, all players are going to be approaching food stamps in the end, so it just doesn't matter except for the bragging rights, which is really all we have. Perhaps this is why people get so bent on the beat lists. You don't hear golfers getting bent on this stuff.
That's a bit jaded don't you think? People with jobs can end up in the end "on food stamps" if they fail to manage their money and they lose their job. Happens all the time. I think there are -- and always have been -- players that are careful about how they manage the money they win, and if they win often enough, why can't they put together a nice self-sustaining nest egg just like a working bloke? But they have to be disciplined to do it.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Verified Member

pool or gambling is like business as it certainly is. some people in business lose and go broke, actually most do at some time.

others run a candy store and never get ahead and work all their lives for nothing. those are like the small tournament players and pool room players betting ten or twenty a game.

and a select few do all the things right and get rich. although some manage to keep it and some dont. those are the ones that invest their winnings or use their fame and great risk experience as a stepping stone to move up.

you just have to figure where you fit in.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
That's a bit jaded don't you think? People with jobs can end up in the end "on food stamps" if they fail to manage their money and they lose their job. Happens all the time. I think there are -- and always have been -- players that are careful about how they manage the money they win, and if they win often enough, why can't they put together a nice self-sustaining nest egg just like a working bloke? But they have to be disciplined to do it.
No. My point is even if you are disciplined, you'll have the goose egg. If you work and are disciplined you won't be goose egged, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I'll be happy to be wrong, no kidding. I don't know what players are up to. Hos Keith's net worth. What about Strickland? I'm just picking names out of a hat I really have no idea, but the point is it's not really sustainable. People have kids, college, retirement funds, health, and god forbid somebody may want to take a vacation to Hawaii or something sometime. You just can't tell me u think pool will support this. There are guys with nothing, no kid wife mortgage health or anything, and they aren't even making it. So I am not sure there is much to argue about, but I'd be happy to hear the exceptions.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
dear gentle readers,

that woody allen quote set off an inquiry process in the precisely-calibrated mechanism which is otherwise known as my personal brain. The quote reminded me of a question i’ve been wondering about re: Pool players … specifically, those who gamble for a living.

is there any one player, past or present, who enjoys the reputation of making bank consistently?

of course everyone books an occasional losing proposition. But i wonder if there is some renowned someone who takes home the cheese on a regular basis. Or, someone in the misty days of yore, who took home the money on a regular basis.

I’m not referring to tournament wins, nor trophies, nor photo ops, nor endorsement contracts.

Cash.

Financial disclosure is my life,

sunny
artie bodendorfer
bill incardona
Old 09-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Verified Member

Default Bring home the Bacon

My vote goes to Toby Sweet.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Not many have what they've won!