Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Hey David,

Welcome.. This is a great place to discuss one pocket.
I've haven't been active here for a while but I used to be.

Hope to see you here and at local pool halls soon.

- dudley. (Simon)
Thanks Simon good to know! I need to look around see what I can find!
Old 05-03-2018, 02:40 PM

Dan from the NYC area. Iím primarily a rotation player, but started getting into 1P a couple of years ago in order to expand and diversify my game.

I get to play it infrequently, but I enjoy reading up and studying the moves. Especially like how it requires creativity, imagination and improvisation from rack to rack. Iím not a huge poster, but have been lurking for a while.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Dan from the NYC area. Iím primarily a rotation player, but started getting into 1P a couple of years ago in order to expand and diversify my game.

I get to play it infrequently, but I enjoy reading up and studying the moves. Especially like how it requires creativity, imagination and improvisation from rack to rack. Iím not a huge poster, but have been lurking for a while.
welcome aboard dan
try and tip the balance from lurking to posting...
Old 05-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Verified Member

Default Atmeddy

I am posting this for my friend Ed Neves who emailed this to me and Matt. Ed has been a member since 2012 but does not post. We affectionately call him atm Eddy.

John Henderson knows me well, and as I related to him, "no," I don't spend a lot of time on the Onepocket.org webpage, my 28-year old company (www.esdandc.com) is still demanding. However, I hope to be included in the tournament June 1st, and send a little personal information to help my cause, or, hopefully, to help my cause.

I started playing a little pool, but not seriously, at Jim Wise's and Dorothy Wise's room in Redwood City, CA, 1960. I actually once beat Dorothy in a game of snooker, playing call shot for the time, a small fortune in those days, and coming down to the 7-ball, I made, maybe, the most memorable shot I have ever hit.

Unfortunately, I never played any serious pool for 30 years, US Navy for seven years, the last five as a certified nuclear operator serving aboard two nuclear submarines, four years at university, work and family, kept me out of any poolroom. Then, going through a difficult divorce in 1994, a friend called and invited me to come into San Francisco to a new room called Chalkers. Within two weeks, I bought a Cuetec and started taking lessons from Billy Aguero, even John Henderson met me once in San Francisco to help me with basics, and wow, did I need the help.

It's been quite a journey since 1994, through the original Cuetec, Cognoscenti, Tad, Schon's and a host of Predator cues, I now play with a Bill McDaniels, John Henderson's old cue. Also, with the help, read lessons, from the likes of Nick Varner, Hal Houle, Rafael Martinez, Paul (Vancouver), Moro and the occasional tip from John Henderson and Kentucky (Bill Meyers), I got my courage up and played at the Derby in Indiana, I think, 2012. Of course, opening up against Rodney Morrison was not the best draw, but I did win the second match and went hill-hill in the third match. The highlight of that trip was the Onepocket.org dinner where Nick was entered into the Hall of Fame and meeting and becoming friendly with Fred Bentivegna, picture attached.

Of course, the cast of great pool players who gave me help, again, read lessons, would not be complete without mentioning Ronnie Allen. Early on, I made a deal with him, I'd pay him outrageously for a lesson or two but not loan him a cent, picture attached.

Since the Derby, more one pocket lessons, and some great one pocket tournaments locally. Still, my ability at first round draws needs serious help, opening with Tony Chohan in the Swing Tournament at CA Billiards.

Come to think of it, maybe these guys are paying someone to draw me in the first round?

I should actually fully retire by 2019, possibly June, and have more time to give to your organization and to others.

Respectfully,

Ed Neves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edbeard.jpg (111.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg edron.jpg (80.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 05-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Verified Member

nice to meet you ed
hope you have yime to visit more often once you are retired
you have had a chance to pick the brains of many great players
you are a lucky man...
larry
Old 05-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
I am posting this for my friend Ed Neves who emailed this to me and Matt. Ed has been a member since 2012 but does not post. We affectionately call him atm Eddy.

John Henderson knows me well, and as I related to him, "no," I don't spend a lot of time on the Onepocket.org webpage, my 28-year old company (www.esdandc.com) is still demanding. However, I hope to be included in the tournament June 1st, and send a little personal information to help my cause, or, hopefully, to help my cause.

I started playing a little pool, but not seriously, at Jim Wise's and Dorothy Wise's room in Redwood City, CA, 1960. I actually once beat Dorothy in a game of snooker, playing call shot for the time, a small fortune in those days, and coming down to the 7-ball, I made, maybe, the most memorable shot I have ever hit.

Unfortunately, I never played any serious pool for 30 years, US Navy for seven years, the last five as a certified nuclear operator serving aboard two nuclear submarines, four years at university, work and family, kept me out of any poolroom. Then, going through a difficult divorce in 1994, a friend called and invited me to come into San Francisco to a new room called Chalkers. Within two weeks, I bought a Cuetec and started taking lessons from Billy Aguero, even John Henderson met me once in San Francisco to help me with basics, and wow, did I need the help.

It's been quite a journey since 1994, through the original Cuetec, Cognoscenti, Tad, Schon's and a host of Predator cues, I now play with a Bill McDaniels, John Henderson's old cue. Also, with the help, read lessons, from the likes of Nick Varner, Hal Houle, Rafael Martinez, Paul (Vancouver), Moro and the occasional tip from John Henderson and Kentucky (Bill Meyers), I got my courage up and played at the Derby in Indiana, I think, 2012. Of course, opening up against Rodney Morrison was not the best draw, but I did win the second match and went hill-hill in the third match. The highlight of that trip was the Onepocket.org dinner where Nick was entered into the Hall of Fame and meeting and becoming friendly with Fred Bentivegna, picture attached.

Of course, the cast of great pool players who gave me help, again, read lessons, would not be complete without mentioning Ronnie Allen. Early on, I made a deal with him, I'd pay him outrageously for a lesson or two but not loan him a cent, picture attached.

Since the Derby, more one pocket lessons, and some great one pocket tournaments locally. Still, my ability at first round draws needs serious help, opening with Tony Chohan in the Swing Tournament at CA Billiards.

Come to think of it, maybe these guys are paying someone to draw me in the first round?

I should actually fully retire by 2019, possibly June, and have more time to give to your organization and to others.

Respectfully,

Ed Neves

Good to see Ed getting involved with the site.. I don't think I've ever played him but he's a good guy that loves the game.

I've been pretty busy at work but I hope I can get time to play more soon and start posting here again. Looking forward to catching up with everyone at the members tournament.

- dudley
Old 05-17-2018, 03:26 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despinoza32 View Post
Hello everyone, my name is David Espinoza and new to the forum even though Iíve been in here before just never introduced myself. Iím from San Jose, CA so Iím usually playing at California Billiards, Cuetopia, and Fast Eddys in Capitola. I got into playing one pocket when they first started the one pocket league at California Billiards in Mountain View and been playing ever since. Hopefully I can meet some of you that are in the area if we havenít already and play some too!
Hey how ya doing David? Like you im new to this site and know it'll open new doors to the world of One Pocket for you. Ive seen your game improving over the years which is cool cuz you have potential. Keep staying in action and if you remember this "I have time for one set" give me a shout young brother lmao...

California~Kid
Old 05-22-2018, 07:15 PM
Verified Member

Default Hello

New to the site and thought I would say hello to all the one pocket lovers out there. I am from small town in southeast Missouri and there are not a lot of people here that play the game. I watch a lot of you tube videos and have the book one pocket a game of controlled aggression (thanks to my best friend for the gift). Hopefully I can pick up some tips here as well.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdietrich1972 View Post
New to the site and thought I would say hello to all the one pocket lovers out there. I am from small town in southeast Missouri and there are not a lot of people here that play the game. I watch a lot of you tube videos and have the book one pocket a game of controlled aggression (thanks to my best friend for the gift). Hopefully I can pick up some tips here as well.
Thanks for introducing yourself Tracy. Toms book is a very good book. Lots of good one pocket theory in there. If you get a chance check out the Ghosts Manifesto published for free on the forums here. Lots of good stuff there too.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California~Kid View Post
Hey how ya doing David? Like you im new to this site and know it'll open new doors to the world of One Pocket for you. Ive seen your game improving over the years which is cool cuz you have potential. Keep staying in action and if you remember this "I have time for one set" give me a shout young brother lmao...

California~Kid
Doing good thanks! Yeah thereís a lot to read on here. Thanks havenít been playing much lately but Iím up for some action! Haha. Only one set though haha. Jk I should have time for more then one set! Later man!!