who would you want as a coach if your life was on the line?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I also find it amazing, that hearing Efren talk his very broken 'tagalong' english, that (without coaching, from 'someone') he wrote a perfectly structered sentence, in YOUR praise...I guess he is TRULY, a magician..:rolleyes: ???????????????????????????????
Beard

No Fred, it is YOU (see avatar:p) who are predictable..I noticed you failed to comment, In RED, on my above observation, (as usual)..... ..Why did you feel the need to change the subject to 'Mergansers' ?. :confused: :p Help me out here..Fred,..I can't "put up" for da bod'a of us..:p

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
We all know that The Beard introduced Reyes to the one pocket game and taught him some things and let Reyes 'get into it' as they played and quickly adjusted the spot. Reyes certainly knows about sending balls up table if he wanted to. He has lots of pride and sometimes chooses not to do so. If he were playing for his life or Texas Holdem WSOP type prizes, then I feel he may do it more. He also use to let dead money players win some games at nine ball too. I've seen him do it

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGIWdJoKOKY&feature=related[/ame]

I taught this young lady how to perform. She was a total nobody til I got hold of her. Just ask anybody. Reyes was the best. So is CD. I picked out that dress too

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
We all know that The Beard introduced Reyes to the one pocket game and taught him some things and let Reyes 'get into it' as they played and quickly adjusted the spot. Reyes certainly knows about sending balls up table if he wanted to. He has lots of pride and sometimes chooses not to do so. If he were playing for his life or Texas Holdem WSOP type prizes, then I feel he may do it more. He also use to let dead money players win some games at nine ball too. I've seen him do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGIWdJoKOKY&feature=related

I taught this young lady how to perform. She was a total nobody til I got hold of her. Just ask anybody. Reyes was the best. So is CD. I picked out that dress too

I played Efren in one of the early 9 ball tournaments in Reno many years ago. I had just had a perfect match with David Howard, playing well and getting all the rolls and beat him 11/4. I played Efren next and he let me win three games after he had the match well in hand. He often let you win a game or two when he had a big lead.

Great video. Like to be in the front row for that one.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Where can you get...

Where can you get...

Anybody know where can I buy some of those One Pocket Lesson Time Release Capsules that the MoPed Merganser snuck into Darren Appletons Kool-Aid?

The ones that keep you a dunce for 3 years before they kick in. A side effect is that they give you perfect sentence structure. No help with spelling however, as is evidenced by MP M's posts. Lack a days icle?

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I played Efren in one of the early 9 ball tournaments in Reno many years ago. I had just had a perfect match with David Howard, playing well and getting all the rolls and beat him 11/4. I played Efren next and he let me win three games after he had the match well in hand. He often let you win a game or two when he had a big lead.

Great video. Like to be in the front row for that one.
Ok, i'm going to say it, as much as I hate to I have to. Reyes weak point was he didn't have a killer mentality, he would loaf and sometimes get complacent when he played. That's the reason he didn't play as hard as the best players are supposed to play. Parica on the other hand was a player that played extremely hard, and that was one of his strengths, Reyes didn't have that. But as soft as he was, he was still the best.

Dr. Bill

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Ok, i'm going to say it, as much as I hate to I have to. Reyes weak point was he didn't have a killer mentality, he would loaf and sometimes get complacent when he played. That's the reason he didn't play as hard as the best players are supposed to play. Parica on the other hand was a player that played extremely hard, and that was one of his strengths, Reyes didn't have that. But as soft as he was, he was still the best.

Dr. Bill
Just how important is killer instinct? Can you tell us the top 5 killers and the top 5 softies?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
But when you, Freddie, and even Artie say's that they can coach Reyes when playing one pocket, and improve his game is imo a pretty darn ignorant comment.
Dr. Bill

The next time I talk to him i'll mention that you and Fred would like to have him pay you guy's a visit, so he could brush up on some of his weaker spots playing the game.

Dr. Bill

What you guys fail to or unable to comprehend is that same aggressive shot selection that you criticize is also what made him BY FAR the most dominant one pocket player EVER...Thats his style

Yawn...you and your stroker really make it easy for me to win, lol...

As happens often on the site, certain people are so anxious to post so that they can refute and bash you that they'll twist things and bash you for something that you never said..:rolleyes:...like in this case for example...

I never mentioned or criticized Efren's "aggressive style" - as a matter of fact, I love his style of play...I never said I could "brush him up on his weaker spots" - which is plural...I never said I could "coach him and improve his game"...go ahead and show me where I said any of those things...

No. I only stated one thing - that when playing in a critical match, against a pro-level player, while having a 7-1 lead or similar, with a group of balls lying in a dangerous down-table area, and while having a perfect opportunity to send said balls up-table, it is the wrong choice, because it severely lowers the extremely high likelihood of winning the game that you currently have, for him, or any other One Pocket player to bring balls back down-table - and especially by shooting a missable, potentially unsafe shot.

The other 99% of Efren's game, I admire and marvel at, just like everybody else...and I also, think he's the best pool player of all time.

- Ghost

PS, And one other thing Billy...I've got another $1,000 bet to offer you..:eek:...and it's all about hypocrisy...

You make a point to say that all of us mere mortals have no right criticize Efren's shot choices - and you included yourself in that when you posted this morning > "Reyes understanding of the game of pool is on a level which you, me, Freddie, and Artie are not familiar with."....

Well then, since you say that you're also not on the level to understand Efren's game - Why is it that you've criticized Efren's shot choices many times when commentating on his matches - including about his not playing the score....Would you like to bet me that $1,000, that you haven't done that many times?....I have several dvd's myself, and also have access to many more that I'll be happy to provide, which will determine the winner of our bet - maybe/hopefully your stroker would like to take 1/2 the bet...:)

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Anybody know where can I buy some of those One Pocket Lesson Time Release Capsules that the MoPed Merganser snuck into Darren Appletons Kool-Aid?

The ones that keep you a dunce for 3 years before they kick in. A side effect is that they give you perfect sentence structure. No help with spelling however, as is evidenced by MP M's posts. Lack a days icle?

Beard

Hey Freddy, you know what? I have the DVD of the Duck teaching Daz in his garage:D. Shall we start the bidding at, say, $500:p

RBL

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Yawn...you and your stroker really make it easy for me to win, lol...

As happens often on the site, certain people are so anxious to post so that they can refute and bash you that they'll twist things and bash you for something that you never said..:rolleyes:...like in this case for example...

I never mentioned or criticized Efren's "aggressive style" - as a matter of fact, I love his style of play...I never said I could "brush him up on his weaker spots" - which is plural...I never said I could "coach him and improve his game"...go ahead and show me where I said any of those things...

No. I only stated one thing - that when playing in a critical match, against a pro-level player, while having a 7-1 lead or similar, with a group of balls lying in a dangerous down-table area, and while having a perfect opportunity to send said balls up-table, it is the wrong choice, because it severely lowers the extremely high likelihood of winning the game that you currently have, for him, or any other One Pocket player to bring balls back down-table - and especially by shooting a missable, potentially unsafe shot.

The other 99% of Efren's game, I admire and marvel at, just like everybody else...and I also, think he's the best pool player of all time.

- Ghost

PS, And one other thing Billy...I've got another $1,000 bet to offer you..:eek:...and it's all about hypocrisy...

You make a point to say that all of us mere mortals have no right criticize Efren's shot choices - and you included yourself in that when you posted this morning > "Reyes understanding of the game of pool is on a level which you, me, Freddie, and Artie are not familiar with."....

Well then, since you say that you're also not on the level to understand Efren's game - Why is it that you've criticized Efren's shot choices many times when commentating on his matches - including about his not playing the score....Would you like to bet me that $1,000, that you haven't done that many times?....I have several dvd's myself, and also have access to many more that I'll be happy to provide, which will determine the winner of our bet - maybe/hopefully your stroker would like to take 1/2 the bet...:)
Actually the question about who would Reyes want as a coach
was brought up by Freddie, in the context that he would be the obvious choice.:lol You included yourself when you said that it couldn't be either Fred or you because yada-yada-yada. To me implying that you too should be a candidate for the position. Maybe I misinterpreted your statement as one of the choices. That's why I said that Reyes plays a game that we're not familiar with, meaning that no one can coach Reyes and improve his game.

And when you say I have no right to critique his game when I do commentary is absurd, that's my job. There's a difference when I critique someones game doing commentary, or when you critique someone's game on a public forum.

You seem anxious to bet that $1,000 on your self, against me. Don't forget that we have a tentative game playing one pocket, save that $1,000 for then.:D

See you soon.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
And when you say I have no right to critique his game when I do commentary is absurd, that's my job.

Once again you're saying that I said something that I never said :frus what is it with you guys - are you visually dyslexic - is that it?...

Now this is very simple - just read my last post again...I NEVER REMOTELY SAID THAT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO CRITIQUE EFREN'S GAME :rolleyes: I just asked you why you're critiquing him there - and then over here, you hypocritically say the opposite..:rolleyes:...

There's a difference when I critique someones game doing commentary, or when you critique someone's game on a public forum.

No there isn't - in both cases you're words are being put out there for public consumption.

You seem anxious to bet that $1,000 on your self, against me. Don't forget that we have a tentative game playing one pocket, save that $1,000 for then..

Nah...I'm just offering you these $1,000 bets cuz I have a lock...but in our game I'm taking a little bit the worst of it, just to play...:heh

See you soon.

Dr. Bill

Let me know when to pick you up at the airport, ;) Gh$st

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ghosty,

Michael Jordan had almost 3000 turnovers in his career. Reyes "not playing the score" at times is about as meaningful as that stat. :)

Sorry Tim, my good buddy....but you're analogy is a horrible clunker off the front of the rim..:heh...

Turnovers are an accident - not done on purpose......Not playing the score is a conscious decision that you make.

- Phil 'Ghost' Jackson

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Sorry Tim, my good buddy....but you're analogy is a horrible clunker off the front of the rim..:heh...

Turnovers are an accident - not done on purpose......Not playing the score is a conscious decision that you make.

- Phil 'Ghost' Jackson

I will be glad to take half of Billys bet when you and him play... i love free money. If i had aabout 10 guys like you around i wouldnt think about quitting pool. Unfortunately suckers like you arent a dim a dozen.. you are a rare find:D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

- Phil 'Ghost' Jackson
I think you have spoken too fast:sorry turnovers can be many things, like releasing the ball prematurely (bad judgement) or throwing the ball out of bounds (poor execution)or allowing someone to steal the ball ( being oblivious) Now if you want to call those things accidents then your being overly generous, don't you think?

Dr. Bill

TheClamp

hands down Billy. He can verbalize better than anyone, is more intellectual, and way more observant

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I think you have spoken too fast. turnovers can be many things, like releasing the ball prematurely (bad judgement) or throwing the ball out of bounds (poor execution)or allowing someone to steal the ball ( being oblivious) Now if you want to call those things accidents then your being overly generous, don't you think?

Dr. Bill

Turnovers occuring are by far, mostly accidental, but bad judgement can also play a part - so, opposing debate team member Incardona, I will give you a partial concession for your points made...:)

- Debate team captain, Gh:cool:st

PS, And now maybe you might like to go back to my post - #70, which you convienently failed to respond to :rolleyes: and concede to the reality-check-points that I made to you there.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Turnovers occuring are by far, mostly accidental, but bad judgement can also play a part - so, opposing debate team member Incardona, I will give you a partial concession for your points made...:)
Turnovers occuring are by far, mostly accidental, but bad judgement can also play a part - so, opposing debate team member Incardona, I will give you a partial concession for your points made...:) Not so fast, when a player gets a ball stolen from him, a fair percentage of the time it's because of negligence. Add more points please.:D Also, when a player makes a bad pass that is also a turn over, caused by bad judgement and poor execution. It's not an accident. Add more points.

- Debate team captain, Gh:cool:st
- Debate team captain, Gh:st

PS, And now maybe you might like to go back to my post - #70, which you convienently failed to respond to :rolleyes: and concede to the reality-check-points that I made to you there.
I'm going over there now, hold tight.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona

And when you say I have no right to critique his game when I do commentary is absurd, that's my job.

Once again you're saying that I said something that I never said what is it with you guys - are you visually dyslexic - is that it?... Then what you're saying is that i'm a hypocrite, and i'm not. When I do commentary my job is to keep people abreast of the players play, plus, the possibilities of certain things happening, and why. Plus many more pertinent factors about the game. By me doing my job is in no way a contradiction to how I feel and talk about Reyes game on this forum.

Now this is very simple - just read my last post again...I NEVER REMOTELY SAID THAT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO CRITIQUE EFREN'S GAME I just asked you why you're critiquing him there - and then over here, you hypocritically say the opposite.....
I just answered that question.
There's a difference when I critique someones game doing commentary, or when you critique someone's game on a public forum.

No there isn't - in both cases you're words are being put out there for public consumption. Yes there my words, spoken from a person wearing different hats.

You seem anxious to bet that $1,000 on your self, against me. Don't forget that we have a tentative game playing one pocket, save that $1,000 for then..

Nah...I'm just offering you these $1,000 bets cuz I have a lock...but in our game I'm taking a little bit the worst of it, just to play...

See you soon.

Dr. Bill

I'm very objective when I do commentary, and I am no different when I critique Reyes game's. I happen to think Reyes is the best player I have ever watched playing pool, and it shows in my commentary.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
We'll try this one last time, because evidently I didn't make it simple enough for you..:rolleyes:...you posted >>>

Dr. Bill

I then replied, and told you that what you posted is incorrect because - I never posted/said that you have no right to critque Efren's game - I never said anything of the kind...

So just answer yes or no - Did you, in the above copied quote from post #69 wrongly misquote me and respond to something that I never said?

- Gh:rolleyes:st

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
We'll try this one last time, because evidently I didn't make it simple enough for you..:rolleyes:...you posted >>>

I then replied, and told you that what you posted is incorrect because - I never posted/said that you have no right to critque Efren's game - I never said anything of the kind...

So just answer yes or no - Did you, in the above copied quote from post #69 wrongly misquote me and respond to something that I never said?

- Gh:rolleyes:st

The answer to your question is "yes"

But, I mistook your calling me a hypocrite for critiquing Reyes game one way doing commentary and another way on the forum. Whoever I talk about on the forum, that's my honest take on it. And when I do commentary I do my job and call it like I see it. I'm not hypocritical.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The answer to your question is "yes"

Whoever I talk about on the forum, that's my honest take on it. And when I do commentary I do my job and call it like I see it. I'm not hypocritical.

Dr. Bill

Thank you for the yes.

But I still don't understand the rest of what you said - and I doubt anybody else does either...

You said above that what you say about someone on the forum is your honest take on it...but since I heard you say the opposite thing about "someone" during your commentary, does that mean that that wasn't your honest take on it...:confused:

- Ghost