ike/darren2013 #1

u12armresl

Verified Member
I am the guy who likes/uses the siderail break.

In fact at the last tournament at Red Shoes, I drew Ike, and used it on him (my name is also the name of the person Ike is playing in this Thread, so the irony is here)

Anyway, I break and make a ball, leave the CB flush to the rack. I've made a total of 2 balls on the break with this break in 10 years. One then, and one the other day with a local game.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I think you have a better then 50/50 chance of getting a second shot if that 15 ball goes and at these guys level it is probably curtains. Personally I would thin off the 5 ball as opposed to what Ghost suggested and go down table getting to the end rail and leave a bad angle shot on the 7 ball at most which Ike will not shoot even on those buckets. I should be coming back to the table in a better position to do something then what is pictured.

Nope..on the contrary..Ike and most any other good one pocket player will shoot the 7 in a heartbeat from down there = at pocket speed it's a free shot, and the cueball will be stuck into the 13 & 3, so if you miss it/hang it, you will be leaving your opponent trapped.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I think you have a better then 50/50 chance of getting a second shot if that 15 ball goes and at these guys level it is probably curtains. Personally I would thin off the 5 ball as opposed to what Ghost suggested and go down table getting to the end rail and leave a bad angle shot on the 7 ball at most which Ike will not shoot even on those buckets. I should be coming back to the table in a better position to do something then what is pictured.

Thin off the 5 only works if you tie up the 5/7

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
darren went off the stack
and left him the teaser on the 7
what do you think of the shot
....?
after that discussion
wwyd from there
di45.jpg

di4.jpg

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
That's funny, that was the first shot I thought of but didn't think it would be very strong. Kind of, well I don't know what to do so I'll just leave him long and hope for the best, kind of shot

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
darren went off the stack
and left him the teaser on the 7

what do you think of the shot
....?
after that discussion
wwyd from there

One heartbeat -> I just shot the 7 at pocket speed...:p...:heh...:cool:

PS, At the table, depending on the angle, I'll either shoot to make the 7, or play all cueball, and put it near my pocket while burying whitey behind the 13 and the 3.

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I don't like that shot at all. It kinda screams "beat up on me cus I have no idea what I am doing". There is no threat for him. In general, going up table when you don't have any runnable balls is weak because he is probably just going to be able to maintain or improve his position with impunity, or run right out. I mean, think about it, he could even kick 2 rails at the 11 here and be perfectly fine even if he butchered it; not that it's the right shot just making the point that he's not in a bad spot being up there. Distance is only strong if you actually have a threat, or are planning on him making the worst shot ever, which these guys never do. Imo a guy like darren needs to stay very offensive because he is so accurate and that is his strong suit.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One heartbeat -> I just shot the 7 at pocket speed...:p...:heh...:cool:

PS, At the table, depending on the angle, I'll either shoot to make the 7, or play all cueball, and put it near my pocket while burying whitey behind the 13 and the 3.

ike must have taken lessons with you.....:D
he shot the 7
hit it alittle fat (on purpose??)
and left him in the stack
di46.jpg

di5.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think that Darren made a poor calculation there, leaving that 7 ball shot for Ike. There was really no down side to the shot he left.

But I was hoping for some discussion of why Ike used the side rail break in the first place. Presumably it was because the end balls were kicking out from both sides with the traditional breaks. But maybe Ike had other reasons? Maybe he was just trying to bury Appleton right from the git go.

Ghost, have you ever seen Ike use that break around Chicago?

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think that Darren made a poor calculation there, leaving that 7 ball shot for Ike. There was really no down side to the shot he left.

But I was hoping for some discussion of why Ike used the side rail break in the first place. Presumably it was because the end balls were kicking out from both sides with the traditional breaks. But maybe Ike had other reasons? Maybe he was just trying to bury Appleton right from the git go.

~Doc

doc
i think ike used that break to make more of a moving game with darren
figuring darren is a straighter shooter than ike
but ike knows the game better (especially then)
i havent watched much more of that match
tonight i'll check to see if he used it on subsequent breaks

u12armresl

Verified Member
He's seen me use it, and we talked about it.

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
ike must have taken lessons with you.....:D
he shot the 7
hit it alittle fat (on purpose??)
and left him in the stack
View attachment 12835

View attachment 12836

Nah, he doesn't need them Larry...but there is a certain young man who posted (not mentioning any name ;)) in this thread, who, obviously, would greatly benefit by learning from me...:heh

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Nah, he doesn't need them Larry...but there is a certain young man who posted (not mentioning any name) in this thread, who, obviously, would greatly benefit by learning from me...;)...:heh

If you are willing to give 10/7 then I will play you some when our paths cross. Lou is willing to give that spot up to me but not sure if you are at Lou's level or not. :cool:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
He's seen me use it, and we talked about it.
I almost brought that question up, but I didn't want to be thought that I was cracking wise.;) If y'all discussed it prior to 2013, then Ike certainly may have taken your advice.

P.S. Larry, I assumed the commentators might have discussed Ike's reasons for using that break in this particular match.

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
If you are willing to give 10/7 then I will play you some when our paths cross.

WOW...let's see now...

For the last 10 years, your 'besties' SJD and Scott Frost (both with superior One Pocket knowledge), have shown and taught you everything they know about the game - you soaked up all their knowledge...and you being a young man in your straight-shooting prime, having made a point to post up videos of your excellent shot-making and running of balls to display that..:)...shoot way straighter than the 67 yr. old, glasses wearing, health challenged Ghost - for sure you could spot me the 7 playing 9ball and still win...

So with all of that in place, you think I should give you 10-7...well, all I can say to that is - it can only mean one thing..:heh...

Thanks Lenny...I think that that's the greatest compliment anybody ever gave me re. my One Pocket moving and strategy - that while you have all of those advantages over me, my moving is so strong, that you need 3 balls from me...:eek:...WOW.

Thanks again Lenny, Gh:)sty

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
WOW...let's see now...

For the last 10 years, your 'besties' SJD and Scott Frost (both with superior One Pocket knowledge), have shown and taught you everything they know about the game - you soaked up all their knowledge...and you being a young man in your straight-shooting prime, having made a point to post up videos of your excellent shot-making and running of balls to display that..:)...shoot way straighter than the 67 yr. old, glasses wearing, health challenged Ghost - for sure you could spot me the 7 playing 9ball and still win...

So with all of that in place, you think I should give you 10-7...well, all I can say to that is - it can only mean one thing..:heh...

Thanks Lenny...I think that that's the greatest compliment anybody ever gave me re. my One Pocket moving and strategy - that while you have all of those advantages over me, my moving is so strong, that you need 3 balls from me...:eek:...WOW.

Thanks again Lenny, Gh:)sty
Well if someone is offering to give me some lessons I would think they play better so a few balls is not out of the question. As I said Lou is happy to give me a spot as are many others on the forum. I have been playing pool for a total of ten years yes with the past 7 or so being around some great one pocket which I am lucky. Remember you can move with the best players in the world so certainly should keep me from being able to shoot at my hole always in your traps. :lol