scott /efren gambling #1

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
If I was giving a life prison sentence and HAD to hit pool balls for 6 hours a day as part of my sentence.... I would kill myself first night

that's interesting - especially coming from someone who plays your speed.

at the end of the day (when i'm not too fried to do anything but stare at the TV) sometimes i can get "lost" rolling balls around and next thing i know a couple of hours have passed. i don't have a boat, motorcycle, member of any clubs/groups, sports car, know how to golf, etc. - i guess its my "outlet".

i find it fascinating that something that i like so much but cannot achieve a high level at, while conversely somebody can truly excel at the same thing has come to loathe it.

sounds like you're a little bummed out my man.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
my daughter wont play at all. occasionally, i can get her to put in 20 - 30 minutes, but she is just placating me.

not near as exciting as all the stuff they now have on their gaming systems, phone applications, etc...

Do you or Frankie have the Xbmc KODI app installed? I discovered it while fooling about in the thread about Amazon Prime. It's supposed to be the total absolute nuts, but not a simple download. Zip files and many steps to it, I hear..

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Do you or Frankie have the Xbmc KODI app installed? I discovered it while fooling about in the thread about Amazon Prime. It's supposed to be the total absolute nuts, but not a simple download. Zip files and many steps to it, I hear..

I couldn't even say.....:eek:
If it's not galaga or pacman, it's over my head.
:D

Hidy Ho

Verified Member
From
BKK/SFO
You will have to find a game with someone else down here as Im quitting playing. A waste of time down here. Its like being an Alaskan king crab fisherman in the Sahara desert.

Just curious (as it seems like I often read very similar sentiments from other high level players who luv action) ... but don't you guys love the game for itself? No joy in just practicing or playing for "fun"?

I'm a true C- pool player who migrated to this game from playing golf (best level at 9 or 10 handicap when I was much younger) but both games, I love the solitude to hitting balls by myself (more than competition, action). And equipment junkie in both hobbies. Maybe I'm just weird?

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
The kid your thinking of is Armando. Yes im married. Whats your name I will probably remember you? To be honest starting playing pool was the biggest regret of my life. Never wanted to play just starting going to Don Carters when my father got sick and pool just became an outlet that I happened to be good at right away. Its the only game/sport where the better you play the more you are penalized. I quit once before when I was playing my best in 2003 and I wish I would have never came back to playing. Since I started playing again in 2006 I havent had the desire I had before I quit. The action and people down here would drain the "pool bug" right out of Shane even.
You are right about relocating. You get stuck in a rut and habits and you just keep repeating them. A fresh scenery and getting away from pool would definitely be the best thing for me.
When it comes to any young kids out there thinking about playing pool.... JUST SAY NO!!

P.S. Do you remember my girlfriend Cathy from the early 90's? well we have been together since 1991 and married since 1996. Best woman on earth bar none.

Rob,

My name is Darrell Randolph, I'm a bit older than you. I can't remember if we ever played, my recollection is that you were better than me at 1P, and I don't think we ever matched up. You didn't play in the Golf game as I recall.

I may try to get to DCC next yr, if I'm still playing, so we may get to meet again, who knows.

Good luck with your game and action. I play in the Baltimore area now, action is fair, I guess. Yeah, Armondo, we played quite a bit, good kid then. Hope he's doing ok.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Just curious (as it seems like I often read very similar sentiments from other high level players who luv action) ... but don't you guys love the game for itself? No joy in just practicing or playing for "fun"?

I'm a true C- pool player who migrated to this game from playing golf (best level at 9 or 10 handicap when I was much younger) but both games, I love the solitude to hitting balls by myself (more than competition, action). And equipment junkie in both hobbies. Maybe I'm just weird?

Howdy Hidy; I myself for many years were a 2 handicap golfer, it took thousands of balls being struck for me to reach that level! The one element that increased my learning curve was, 'Gambling' on a daily basis with all levels of golfers! If you keep loosing you cheese everyday, it gets costly and demoralizing! After reaching the pinnacle of my abilities at golf, the daily action was enough for ME to keep my game in check, with just occasional practice to keep my timing and tempo!

As far as the cue games, I believe in my case anyway the same scenario unfolded, BYW, I played top level 3C for 20 years before I started golf at 35, so, I sort of had a program for my progress in golf in place.

During throughout the 'Action/Tournament' years in my career playing 3C, I didn't feel that I need to practice 4-6 hours a day as previously. The constant high level of competition kept me sharp! Which BTW, is the last component when readying yourself for that tournament/gambling phase of ones professional cue career!

This is how it all came about for me, and seems to have just worked out fine! I have a record that no one to this date and most likely will never equal or surpass, and several that only a select number have come close or equalled.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Mr. 3 C, your response opens up a whole new spin on the existing thread. That is about gambling, golf vs pool/billiards and lifestyle issues. Someone earlier mentioned about learning to play pool as it's a waste of time (my words) and a young person should do something else. I totally disagree. Life is what you make of it. You can be a good and decent person doing anything including playing pool and golf. People who play pool are just a microcosm of the general society so there will be those who are unsavory and unethical and just like the rest of the population there are those who are the same. Eight ball corner pocket………

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Mr. 3 C, your response opens up a whole new spin on the existing thread. That is about gambling, golf vs pool/billiards and lifestyle issues. Someone earlier mentioned about learning to play pool as it's a waste of time (my words) and a young person should do something else. I totally disagree. Life is what you make of it. You can be a good and decent person doing anything including playing pool and golf. People who play pool are just a microcosm of the general society so there will be those who are unsavory and unethical and just like the rest of the population there are those who are the same. Eight ball corner pocket………

Unfortunately you scratched on the 8 ball... want to play double or nothing?:sorry