jeremy/efren

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I resized it:/QUOTE]

Adding in the tangent lines for the shot, and with top english it will lengthen the angle slightly, it's a sellout methinks.

This overhead angle looks like the 7 ball 2 railer and hook behind the 8 that Tom suggested look better than I thought.. The angle may not be exactly there but it is REAL close... definitely one where at the table you would have a better feel for it.... The main thing is to show the concept and the strength of the option if it is/was there.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Either Jeff's gotten dumber or I've gotten smarter. I had every one of those thoughts.

Too demanding for me. I would softly bank the 1 around the stack using one tip or less of 2 o'clock. I think a good hit sends CB right toward the middle of the stack but short of the lower stripe and leaves the 1 hidden out in front of my pocket.

Ok,
You got it with me John, our first prop bet when you get to Houston in April. You shoot your shot, I shoot mine and finish the game out each time. Say $30.00 each game and play it twice each for a total of 4 games. Or for more if you're bloodthirsty.

I'm willing, how about you?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I really like Jeff's bank on the 8ball, if I was as tall as him it'd be my shot.
I might shoot it from my tiptoes. :)

Except for the shot being difficult to reach, I would like Jeff's shot too if there were more opportunities to score follow up shots if I made the eight.

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'm banking the 8 ball with low lhe, drawing back down table for shape on the 4 ball. If I make the 8, I get the 4 and then possibly the high stripe and then I open up the stack and leave him stuck in it. Best case is, I'm up 3 to his -2 and have great position, worst case, I miss the 8 ball bank and he clears the 4 ball and I'm still up 0 to -2. Just sayin.... WIWD

jeff danny d liked the bank on the 8
je2.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
and jeremy thought about it but wouldnt pull the trigger
he looked uncomfortable trying to get in position
either to short
or
using a phrase someone mentioned yesterday during the stream
he got" belly hooked".....:heh
je3.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
however if you look at the original picture you see jeremy going to look at the stack
the stripe looks like it might be wired to efrens pocket
jeremy chose to 2 rail into the stack
je4.jpg

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Larry, You didn't tell us Efren might have a wired ball in the stack. From these images how are we to tell? Next time I think we need a heads up from the thread generator when there is a potential dead ball somewhere. It's only fair don't cha think?

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, You didn't tell us Efren might have a wired ball in the stack. From these images how are we to tell? Next time I think we need a heads up from the thread generator when there is a potential dead ball somewhere. It's only fair don't cha think?

Tom
yes and no tom
and here is my thoughts
there were several possible shots available
that would have worked whether the ball was wired or not
(thats what makes a good wwyd)
the 8 ball bank ..make it run balls ...break up the combo
bank the 1 into the stack the combo is broken up
bank the 1 around the stack ..good alternative if no wired shot
your shot still good whether there is a wired shot or not
so
I and hope We learn what the others see even
if noone picks what the pro shot

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
now that you know there was a possible wired shot
which shot choice would you play?

If I knew a shot was wired from the stack, I would not bank the eight because of the potential kick that could occur from wherever I happen to leave the cue ball. I would not shoot the two rail bank because of the risk of not getting behind the eight. I would not play the one around the stack in any fashion. I would not wish to be placed in a position where I cannot do anything about that dead ball.

I would probably bank the one into the stack to dislodge the dead ball or play into the two loose balls on my opponent's side of the stack trying to clear at least one of them and dislodge the dead ball. I would not try to hit that shot very hard because of the risk of something leaking out and surrendering an open shot. The shot Jeremy shot is a good choice too, but I think it may have been hit a hair too hard. Did Efren try to cut that ball in? Jeremy at least broke up the dead ball and that had to be a primary concern.

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
If I knew a shot was wired from the stack, I would not bank the eight because of the potential kick that could occur from wherever I happen to leave the cue ball. I would not shoot the two rail bank because of the risk of not getting behind the eight. I would not play the one around the stack in any fashion. I would not wish to be placed in a position where I cannot do anything about that dead ball.

I would probably bank the one into the stack to dislodge the dead ball or play into the two loose balls on my opponent's side of the stack trying to clear at least one of them and dislodge the dead ball. I would not try to hit that shot very hard because of the risk of something leaking out and surrendering an open shot. The shot Jeremy shot is a good choice too, but I think it may have been hit a hair too hard. Did Efren try to cut that ball in? Jeremy at least broke up the dead ball and that had to be a primary concern.

Tom
so we got to learn more options with pros and cons given a similar layout when there isnt a wired ball
to me that was a good thing....:)
yes efren cut the ball in( i think its been awhile since i saw the dvd)

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Kicking 2 rails into the bottom of the stack seems highly risky to me for that layout, even for top players.

I'm not sure why he ruled out banking the 1 into the stack, but I still think that's the shot. It's simple, gets a ball off your opponents side, and keeps whitey behind the stack...and it might even move a ball or two to your side.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Kicking 2 rails into the bottom of the stack seems highly risky to me for that layout, even for top players.

I'm not sure why he ruled out banking the 1 into the stack, but I still think that's the shot. It's simple, gets a ball off your opponents side, and keeps whitey behind the stack...and it might even move a ball or two to your side.
sound logic...:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
JJ is one of the world's best 1P players. Because the 1-ball bank into the stack is such a strong shot, but yet he did not shoot it, he must have determined that the proper bank angle was not there. And that shot too would have broken up the wired combo to Efren's hole.

The way the stack was situated would make me a little nervous coming 2 rails into it, because I'd be afraid of something leaking out. I don't know if would even have occurred to me. As it happened the shot did leave a cut on the 9.

Again, I'd probably have looked hard a several shots, including the 8, but in the end I'd probably 2-rail the 9 and try to leave the CB a little lower on the rail.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Ok,
You got it with me John, our first prop bet when you get to Houston in April. You shoot your shot, I shoot mine and finish the game out each time. Say $30.00 each game and play it twice each for a total of 4 games. Or for more if you're bloodthirsty.

I'm trying to think who I would get to shoot that prop with you, but it ain't me. :heh

I didn't mean the shot was too demanding for you, I said, "for me." Believe it or not, there are still a few people around who think you play a little better than me. :D

(But I'll still take the prop if you lay me 3/2 and after one shot each, Billy I is willing to judge which came out best. )

PS: Are you sitting there wondering how much blackmail info I have on Billy? :p

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Ok,

Another PS: I just realized that "Either Jeff's gotten dumber...etc" might have sounded like criticism. I was really saying I was proud of the fact that my thinking exactly mirrored yours, at least up to the point of what to do about it, and then the difference was our skill levels. Your shot well executed is better than mine, I just couldn't count on the "executed" part.

You're my idol for how fast your 1P game has advanced, and I hate to take your money, but with Billy's help.... :)

baby huey

Verified Member
In my opinion there was no home run shot in this scenario. This is more like a two or three shot sequence to get the balls opened up to your advantage. The cross corner on the one ball if hit with speed could end up caroming off a ball and selling out right in your opponents hole. JJ's two rail kick shot was an example of opening up a ball or two in order to gain a tactical advantage down the road. I think I would have preferred to bank the one ball below the stack and float the cue ball into the side of the stack so as to maintain some ability to control what my opponent will have access to shoot at. Either way unless someone makes a critical mistake this game will take some time to play out.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Either Jeff's gotten dumber or I've gotten smarter. I had every one of those thoughts.

Too demanding for me. I would softly bank the 1 around the stack using one tip or less of 2 o'clock. I think a good hit sends CB right toward the middle of the stack but short of the lower stripe and leaves the 1 hidden out in front of my pocket.

Talk about a demanding shot brother John, set this up and try banking the 1 ball around the stack and leaving it in front of your pocket. The 1 ball is just positioned to high on the side rail to be banked AROUND the stack with any great success methinks. :sorry:):) I still think you're one of the better minds on onepocket.org, and your shot selections in these WWYD are always thought provoking and correct for what you believe to be within reach of your skill set.

Looking forward to seeing you again in Houston, it's coming up soon. :)