Shannon/bugs #3

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bugs needs 1 shannon need 2 balls
bugs has ball in hand after shannons scratch
you can put the cueball anywhere you want behind the line.

whats the shot ??
play the spot shot to make it.??

play to make it and try to get shannons ball out??

make shannons ball and scratch/foul and play you both need 2
shannons shot with 3 balls are now on the spot??

or something else??
sb5.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the strategy here was talked about awhile ago.
of course with no concensus:D
some of our newer members might want to give their opinion
dont be shy
some will agree with you and some will not:rolleyes:

bstroud

Verified Member
Make the spot shot. Forget about the other ball.

I used to practice shot shots until I could make 100 out of 100. Ball in hand removed the need for today's players to practice this shot.
It's a hanger.

Bill Stroud

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
The spot shot should scare only us mortals...guys like Bugs should fire it in well over 90 percent of the time. Most of the one pocket matches I have from the nineties were played on pretty loose tables too.

I watched an Ontherail match with Frost the other day and he took two seconds to fire in the spot shot in that situation. Swiiishhh.

timdog24

Verified Member
lll said:
dont be shy

You must try to win the game from here. On a bucket like this, I might just try to pocket the game ball as it would be hard to miss. On a tight box, I'd probably try to make both, with more focus on making my ball. I don't ever like following in my opponent's ball in this situation.

mosconiac

Verified Member
I'm with Mr. Stroud...I can not imagine any response that would result in a better win percentage than firing the spot shot.

senor

Verified Member
You have to make the shot and not worry about the other ball in this particular spot.

Spot shots are like free throws in basketball, a lost art.

crystal cue

Verified Member
lll said:
dont be shy

''Forget about everything else,bear down and make the shot'' and "That shot should be made before you even get to the table'' Two things I was told by my late teacher,I believe that applies here.

bstroud

Verified Member
I just remembered that this same situation came up when I was very young and playing an old "Carnie" name Craptree. He had this shot to win and played safe by following in the ball and spotting 2 up. Later on the same situation came up except I was the one shooting. I did the same as Craptree.

Pucket was watching and grabbed me over to the corner and said " When you have a chance to win, SHOOT at your hole!"

Glad Pucket wasn't in with me but it was a lesson I learned and learned very well.

Bill Stroud

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I never knew there were choices other than the spot shot. Actually I did but why not shoot for the win. If I can't make the spot shot then I might as well stay home and watch some streaming on the net.

Skin

Verified Member
senor said:
You have to make the shot and not worry about the other ball in this particular spot.

Spot shots are like free throws in basketball, a lost art.

Nobody practices the spot shot any more, senor, you are correct. There was a time when you could walk into a pool hall and a guy alone at a table likely was doing just that. Of course, that was before the Texas Express rules messed up 9b, which used to be a respectable game of strategy.

Skin < still practices spot shots :eek:

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Just being amused at the timing of this thread. I did some work on that shot just last weekend. Turns out... I shoot spot shots (true, spot to spot), much better to one pocket than the other. Now I have something else to work on. *sigh*

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMjd3i2MkSs[/ame]

bstroud

Verified Member
stljohnny said:
Just being amused at the timing of this thread. I did some work on that shot just last weekend. Turns out... I shoot spot shots (true, spot to spot), much better to one pocket than the other. Now I have something else to work on. *sigh*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMjd3i2MkSs

That often happens if your stance is too closed to the table. Open your stance a little by moving your left foot more parallel to your cue. That should help you see both sides of the table better.

Bill Stroud

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
mosconiac said:
I'm with Mr. Stroud...I can not imagine any response that would result in a better win percentage than firing the spot shot.

THe correct shot is the spot shot for any player Because you are better then even money to make the spot shot

And if you play safe and just make is ball in the hole its about 50 50 who will win the game.

And a good player will make the spot shot 8 or 9 yimes out off 10 shots. That makes him a big favorite too win the game.

So we all no that shooting the spot shot is a way better percentage shot then not too shoot the shot.

But what do you do if youre opponent needs one and you need two. And you have cue ball in hand behund the line. What is the correct shot then. And the best percentage shot.

Lets her the answeres from the experts. This is a little different then the first shot were you need one and your opponent needs teo.

But we will see what people will shoot and say.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
THe correct shot is the spot shot for any player Because you are better then even money to make the spot shot

And if you play safe and just make is ball in the hole its about 50 50 who will win the game.

And a good player will make the spot shot 8 or 9 yimes out off 10 shots. That makes him a big favorite too win the game.

So we all no that shooting the spot shot is a way better percentage shot then not too shoot the shot.

But what do you do if youre opponent needs one and you need two. And you have cue ball in hand behund the line. What is the correct shot then. And the best percentage shot.

Lets her the answeres from the experts. This is a little different then the first shot were you need one and your opponent needs teo.

But we will see what people will shoot and say.

That was an excellet response to the question, and even a better question for us to think about.

For a player of my speed which isn't that great, i'm pocketing my opponents ball and take my chances with three on the spot. This option is my choice if for certain I cant get the ball out of my opponents pocket.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
That was an excellet response to the question, and even a better question for us to think about.

For a player of my speed which isn't that great, i'm pocketing my opponents ball and take my chances with three on the spot. This option is my choice if for certain I cant get the ball out of my opponents pocket.

Billy I.
But then again it's impossible for you to have ball in hand behind the line needing 2 balls, with only 2 balls on the table.

So lets say that the cue ball stopped in a position that you would shoot a spot shot from, with a ball on the spot and the other ball in your opponents pocket. This way it is possible for you to need both balls and your opponent only needing one.

Billy I.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Good thinking Doctor Bill about him only needing one after fouling. In playing the spot shot it's possible that you may wind up in a position after making the ball that you might not have a routine shot to make his ball and scratch or jump the cue ball off the table. I would shoot at the ball on the spot only if I really felt comfortable pocketing it and knew that I would be in a good position to pocket his ball and get it back on the spot.

Just yesterday my opponent had his game ball hanging and I needed two with the other ball near and past the line. I had no choice but to bank that ball, I made it but wound up far away from his hanging ball. Too far to jump it off the table so I tried to follow it in and failed.

Another question is how much of a difference is it if he needed one and you need three verses you only needing two?