Any JIMMY REID stories?

Matt_24

Verified Member
About 5 or 6 years ago I was fortunate to visit Jimmy Reid in Nashville while home visiting my father. I went over to his house and took several hours worth of lessons. That was the first and only time I've had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy.

We didn't have to work on any basics or fundamentals or basics so we focused more on strategy, thought processes, systems, etc, on his beautiful Diamond table.

Jimmy told me quite a bit about his days of gambling and I listened with great interest. It was neat getting to see his US OPEN 9 Ball tropy (1985 I believe) and his knowledge of the green felt is just ridiculous.

Does anyone here have any stories of Jimmy gambling at One Pocket or anything else? I know he is a US OPEN 9 ball Champion and 8 Ball World Champion...but I also know he loves one pocket and plays well.

Share your Jimmy Reid stories here please.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Matt_24 said:
About 5 or 6 years ago I was fortunate to visit Jimmy Reid in Nashville while home visiting my father. I went over to his house and took several hours worth of lessons. That was the first and only time I've had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy.

We didn't have to work on any basics or fundamentals or basics so we focused more on strategy, thought processes, systems, etc, on his beautiful Diamond table.

Jimmy told me quite a bit about his days of gambling and I listened with great interest. It was neat getting to see his US OPEN 9 Ball tropy (1985 I believe) and his knowledge of the green felt is just ridiculous.

Does anyone here have any stories of Jimmy gambling at One Pocket or anything else? I know he is a US OPEN 9 ball Champion and 8 Ball World Champion...but I also know he loves one pocket and plays well.

Jimmy came through my home town back in the early 70's with his'Hippy Jimmy" look and a beautiful girl with him. Veruyquiet and handsome young man he was. He played 9-ball and banks with Cecil Maxwell, owner of Buddies Place, which was later featured in "Jack Daniels" Magazine. Cecil played real good banks and was beating Tony Fargo at the time. Of course Jimmy beat him at both games. I was very impressed with his demeanor at the table and with his game.{And with his beautiful girlfriend}. During the mid 90's he came to my poolroom to play in our monthly 9-ball tournament. I really disliked the guy who bought him in the calcutta for 400,and although I liked Jimmy I was glad he was out in 2 matches cause I couldn't stand the sob who bought him. That's my Jimmy Reid story.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hippie Jimmy

Hippie Jimmy

Excerpt from that great book I wrote, The GosPool:

Best Player, Pay-Ball On A Snooker Table
My money is on "Hippie Jimmy" Reid. Jimmy loved shooting hard shots. He specialized in long, off-angle combinations that were a goodly distance apart. Jimmy usually kept a silly smile on his face the whole session. Reid enjoyed himself so much in those games that after many hours of play his enthusiasm began to demoralize opponents who were tiring of having to make tough shots and tough run-outs. Rumors that Reid used artificial stimulants have been greatly underestimated.

the Beard

That is not Prince Albert in that pipe.

Attachments

• latest GPOOL 20Dec06_img_100 (600 x 503).jpg
    latest GPOOL 20Dec06_img_100 (600 x 503).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Matt_24 said:

From 1972 thru 1973 I was the best 9 ball player in the country, I beat all the top players during that time except Lassiter, we never played. Later in 1974 I played Hall in Shreveport, I was on a road trip with Mataya and hadn't played in about a month, I really mismanaged myself by playing Hall under those circumstances. We played and he beat me easily, he played great and I played poorly (dog factor) Even if I would of played my best game chances are that I still would of gotten beat.

Jimmy Reid was the best 10 ball player that I ever played, we played twice during 1972 and 1973. Our longest and most memorable session was in 1972 in Johnston City, we played 36 hrs. When we started playing he was a little weak because of my rep. being the best player, he got a few timely rolls at crucial times which he fed off of, and his speed continued to rise to a level that I have never seen before or after anyone play that well. There was a 10 hr. span that he didn't miss one ball, not one ball, and it was during that span that he broke me down. I remember I was leaning against the wall while he was shooting waiting for my turn at the table ( which wasn't often)when he finally missed a ball, I was still leaning against the wall in disbelief and then he leaned against the wall next to me and said to me "I never play good when I take these f---n green and whites (christmas trees) I wanted to slug him when he said that, but I respected his game too much to do it. We played about 6 months later in Det, about a 4 hr session, which I came out ahead, but Jimmy Reid had a higher top speed than anyone that I have ever played or have seen play. The only problem was that his mixture had to be right, and we all should know by now that mixtures are sometimes hard to get right. Bottom line when he was right he had the highest top speed that I have ever seen period. He can flat out play, and he really knows the game and the cue ball.:eek: :eek:

Matt_24

Verified Member
An interesting thing I noticed while w/ Jimmy was that he has no pause in his stroke before delivery.

Great players usually have them. We all know that Buddy has a significant pause before delivery through the cue ball.

I asked Jimmy about that and he replied that he just kept stroking until it felt right and then he followed through. He just let it happen. I'll say that it certainly works well for him. I try to do that same technique if I have a particularly HARD shot and want to eliminate some dog factor and I must say it does seem to help. Jimmy does it for every shot.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
What about the TOP GEAR Dennis Hatch?

What about the TOP GEAR Dennis Hatch?

wincardona said:
From 1972 thru 1973 I was the best 9 ball player in the country, I beat all the top players during that time except Lassiter, we never played. Later in 1974 I played Hall in Shreveport, I was on a road trip with Mataya and hadn't played in about a month, I really mismanaged myself by playing Hall under those circumstances. We played and he beat me easily, he played great and I played poorly (dog factor) Even if I would of played my best game chances are that I still would of gotten beat.

Jimmy Reid was the best 10 ball player that I ever played, we played twice during 1972 and 1973. Our longest and most memorable session was in 1972 in Johnston City, we played 36 hrs. When we started playing he was a little weak because of my rep. being the best player, he got a few timely rolls at crucial times which he fed off of, and his speed continued to rise to a level that I have never seen before or after anyone play that well. There was a 10 hr. span that he didn't miss one ball, not one ball, and it was during that span that he broke me down. I remember I was leaning against the wall while he was shooting waiting for my turn at the table ( which wasn't often)when he finally missed a ball, I was still leaning against the wall in disbelief and then he leaned against the wall next to me and said to me "I never play good when I take these f---n green and whites (christmas trees) I wanted to slug him when he said that, but I respected his game too much to do it. We played about 6 months later in Det, about a 4 hr session, which I came out ahead, but Jimmy Reid had a higher top speed than anyone that I have ever played or have seen play. The only problem was that his mixture had to be right, and we all should know by now that mixtures are sometimes hard to get right. Bottom line when he was right he had the highest top speed that I have ever seen period. He can flat out play, and he really knows the game and the cue ball.:eek: :eek:

Biily;
Being in the 3 cush world and not the main stream, I just learned of Dennis Hatch last year from Shane Winters. I remember Jimmy in those years, and your correct, when it was right, He was extremely tough. But, I have to say this guy Dennis Hatch, he's got a whole other GEAR entirely, I've watched him on some vid's in tournaments, He is the most fluid, natural player I've seen at the table in many, many, years, the last guy was Johnny Cannila from Mexico. Both these players make the game look incredibly easy, his position, almost Buddy Hall like, confidence 100%, when I see him at the table before he shoots, you can see it on his face, he knows exactly what he wants to do. and does it, everthing is in motion with perfect timing. IMO.
All that being said, Where is this Dennis in the US Open?, last year and this one, I think, this guy would be a shoe-in to cash in the top 4, If I had half His abillity at POOL, they'd have hold me down at gun point not to be there. Danny D told me, that he also thought he was the most natural player He'd seen, both from Buffalo, NY, so I feel He would know.
Jimmy was a LEGEND in His time, no doubt, for many reasons. We got along great, he loved to play 3 cush with me when ever we met . I speak to Him now and then, He lives down the road apiece in FL. Just as in good health, Jimmy is always in High sprits. In His case, I really wish we could turn back time.
Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
More Jimmy

More Jimmy

wincardona said:

Funny you should mention that. Here is another excerpt from that wonderful book, The GosPool:

Greatest Ten-Ball Players
Efren Reyes, "Hippie Jimmy" Reid, Cecil "Buddy" Hall and Allen Hopkins are my choices.

Yes, you were the best nine-baller on earth at that time, no doubt. Save for Lassiter. I must pee pee on your brag just a little. No one else would play you, but I did hear you ask Wimpy for the 8 rock at the Stardust in Vegas in 72. He said no, but he did offer you a four game head start in a 20 ahead set back in his home court in Elizabeth NC for 20k. Did you think I forgot? I have more damaging files than J Edgar Hoover.

the Beard
That was very funny, however, with Jimmy complaining about the mixture, and he's in a dead stroke coma.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
At the last "real" Derby, just after being inducted into onepocket.org's HOF for "Lifetime Pool in Action," Jimmy Reid was riding in the shuttle with us back to the Executive Hotel when he started complaining that he should also be in the One Pocket Hall of Fame. "Afer all, I beat most of those guys that are already in the One Pocket HOF at their own game."

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
California Johnny

California Johnny

demonrho said:
At the last "real" Derby, just after being inducted into onepocket.org's HOF for "Lifetime Pool in Action," Jimmy Reid was riding in the shuttle with us back to the Executive Hotel when he started complaining that he should also be in the One Pocket Hall of Fame. "Afer all, I beat most of those guys that are already in the One Pocket HOF at their own game."

At the Rack in Detroit, Jimmy gave California John McCue 8 to 7, played for a day and blew about $2000 -- many, many games. I watched a lot of the game. Jimmy didnt move anywhere as good as he thought he did. I gave Calif. J. 9 to 8 a week earlier and robbed him. I believe, based on what I did was why Jimmy thought he could give Johnny a better game. A week later I watched Jimmy destroy Richie Florence playing 9 ball in a 3 day session. Stick to 9 and 10 ball Jimmy, you are certainly a Hall of Famer there.

the Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
fred bentivegna said:
At the Rack in Detroit, Jimmy gave California John McCue 8 to 7, played for a day and blew about $2000 -- many, many games. I watched a lot of the game. Jimmy didnt move anywhere as good as he thought he did. I gave Calif. J. 9 to 8 a week earlier and robbed him. I believe, based on what I did was why Jimmy thought he could give Johnny a better game. A week later I watched Jimmy destroy Richie Florence playing 9 ball in a 3 day session. Stick to 9 and 10 ball Jimmy, you are certainly a Hall of Famer there.

the Beard
I love Jimmy Reid, but Jimmy thought he played all games better than EVERYONE. Actually in the bragging dept. he makes Artie look like Reyes.If you know what I mean.;)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
wincardona said:
I love Jimmy Reid, but Jimmy thought he played all games better than EVERYONE. Actually in the bragging dept. he makes Artie look like Reyes.If you know what I mean.;)

Hmmm... you MUST have accidently hit the button to put Artie on your Ignore list in this forum because

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! (John McEnroe voice)

With the data currently in my brain, compiled from over a year of reading every post by Artie, trying to process what you just wrote, has completely LOCKED UP MY BRAIN.... I will have to REBOOT it and come back later.:eek: :confused: :D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
WINCARDONE said:
I love Jimmy Reid, but Jimmy thought he played all games better than EVERYONE. Actually in the bragging dept. he makes Artie look like Reyes.If you know what I mean.

CaliRed said:
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! (John McEnroe voice)

With the data currently in my brain, compiled from over a year of reading every post by Artie, trying to process what you just wrote, has completely LOCKED UP MY BRAIN.... I will have to REBOOT it and come back later.:eek: :confused: :D

Greg, I agree. I thought when Artie past, His ego would go in the smithsonian next to John Dillingers' penis.
Rod.:D

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
In a mausoleum, quaint and collossal
The explorers discovered a fossil.
They could tell by the bend
and the knob on the end
'Twas the peter of Paul the Apostle. :D :D

Last edited: